8080db reception is somewhat weak vs. other tuners and receivers I have.

ondaride

While my miniature vintage Lafayette LR-220 has no issues picking up NPR in stereo, Sans tunes it with large noise and broadcast barely audible. In fact there's only one station that Sans can pick up in STEREO while my little one does it with no problem. When I attach external wire to an antenna terminals I get reception slightly better, but not still as good as with Lafayette without external antenna.

What is best to be done in or out?

I believe the Lafayette has a provision to use the AC cord as an antenna. The Sansui requires an external antenna. It would be better to use something like a "T" antenna instead of just a wire.

Cheers,

chazix

Any models in mind? I'm very new to tuners, but hearing John Di Liberto out of Columbus area brings me LOTS of joy on NPR and I want to hear my SANS not my little 10w unit!

Any models in mind?

No particular recommendation, but this is an example of the breed:

https://www.radioshack.com/products/dipole-fm-antenna

If you don't have a Radio Shack in your area any longer, you could search your favorite e-retailer for "dipole" and very likely find essentially the same thing (probably for less $$, too).

This type of antenna is "directional", at least when it is oriented so that the top of the "T" is horizontal. In that case, you would want to have the top of the "T" "broadside" with respect to where the Columbus station is located. Or, you could have the top of the "T" vertical, in which case it would be about equally sensitive to stations located anywhere. Regardless of orientation, generally the higher up you can place the top of the "T", the better.

This type of antenna should be connected to the two Sansui antenna connections that are labeled "300".

You can get a lot more sophisticated - and expensive - with antenna choices, but IMHO you won't get a really substantial increment of better performance unless you're prepared to mount an outdoor (or maybe attic) antenna.

HTH,

chazix

Am I the only one that uses a short piece of wire to one of the 300 Ohm connectors? I pick up local stations just fine.

I tried a dipole once in various positions and I couldn't get it to work any better.

Am I the only one that uses a short piece of wire to one of the 300 Ohm connectors? I pick up local stations just fine.

I tried a dipole once in various positions and I couldn't get it to work any better.

You must be in a good location to receive the stations you are interested in, you are very lucky.

Most of the 8080/9090 and there DB cousins have exceptional tuners, most will pickup local stations without an antenna. If you are having problems with an antenna there is probably something wrong with the tuner. I have found several that the one of the 10.7mhz filter chips goes bad.

Cheers Jim

You must be in a good location to receive the stations you are interested in, you are very lucky.

I guess I must be. From my basement I can get a stereo lock on 10 or so stations. I listen to 2. The dipole experiment happed because I was trying to get a station close to 50 miles away. I tried a few different walls on my sun porch and still couldn’t get it. What annoys me is I used to be able to pick it up somewhat in the shed with a lowly G-4500 with about 6 feet of wire strung along the ceiling. Not anymore, I guess the station reduced their power or something.

Im sure a short piece of wire is all some people need to pick up their local stations, it improves reception and it’s far less invasive than trying to set up a dipole.

In the OP’s case where the wire wasn’t enough, I hope they find a solution and share it with us. I’d like to try it myself.

I live in a poor reception area and have tried many different ideas. I find the best in my area is the single wire method. It is very directional but depending on reciever/ tuner I may have on line at time if I vary length, routing or sheer luck it has been what works every time. I have plenty of 18 gauge wire and its cheep and most of all it works. I try hard not ro overthink things I can easly change. Its the rest of it that seems to confuse me,
Nemo

Back
Top Bottom