My Shure V15 Type iii crumbled in my hands

AceTechHD

While removing one of the leads the entire back of my V15 Type iii crumbled to pieces.

LDX3yqy.jpg

IvoDdGT.jpg

I tried placing the broken piece back in place but no sound can be heard :( Is there any way I could solder the two pieces back together?

The 4 wires that are the coils inside the cartridge have been severed and must be resoldered to the 4 pins to bring it back, if the wires only broke at that one location.

Did you remove the cartridge with a die grinder? Odd marks on the left side of that headshell.

Sorry for your loss.

The 4 wires that are the coils inside the cartridge have been severed and must be resoldered to the 4 pins to bring it back, if the wires only broke at that one location.

Did you remove the cartridge with a die grinder? Odd marks on the left side of that headshell.

Sorry for your loss.

Nope I tried to remove one of the leads with this:

dr_slick_scissor_clamps.jpg

Next thing I knew pieces of the cartridge were everywhere.

You JUST got it? Did it ever play. That back plate just doesn't look right.
And BTW, They shear off from the back of the capsule in one piece. I have never seen one splinter like this. And the white thing in the 2nd picture. Just not right.

As NoTransistors mentioned, it Shure, (pardon the pun), looks as if it was repaired at sometime. Back of the cartridge.
shure.jpg

Last edited:
And my friend, these things cannot be repaired. The entire assembly is potted in hard plastic. The wires can not be pulled out to re-solder.

Let's hear from the OP if it ever did work.

Last edited:
I have no doubts as to the veracity of your statements. Just doesn't look right. I saw the crystalized super glue. But the wires have no slack at all. So what was actually glued? And what is with that white plate?

I have no doubts as to the veracity of your statements. Just doesn't look right. I saw the crystalized super glue. But the wires have no slack at all. So what was actually glued? And what is with that white plate?

Maybe It was glued, but it certainly didn't stop the cartridge from working. I tried placing the two pieces together. All I hear is silence.

Back
Top Bottom