Looking for some help with a 5000a

77Bronco

Hi all,

I’m a new member (and subscriber ) to this awesome site.

I’m looking for a little help with a 5000a, I picked it up off CL for cheap and I’m intrigued by it and interested it trying to address the well known issue with it. The notorious channel blowing fuses.

I’ve done a lot of researching here about this issue. I do not have the 6013 boards, and think the odds of coming across them might be slim.

Wether, someone would be interested it making the needed repairs to my existing boards, and giving the unit a good once over (happy to compensate), or perhaps willing to mentor me as I learn a new skill, and walk me through it. I’d appreciate either.

I do have a good fluke multi meter, and even have access to a couple of analog meters at work. I am familiar with how to use these meters, but my experience with them is far more electrical than electronic diagnostics.

Anyway, thought I’d throw this out there to see if it leads to anything. Hoping so.

I did download the service manual for the 5000a, but admittedly it’s all Greek to me right now.

Even at this point in my life, I’m still a good student and feel I can be taught some skills with a patient instructor.

Even if my desire is to just get it working as quickly as possible to enjoy it. I’d go either way with it, but I’m not a deep pocket guy who can throw “surplus” cash (ha! No such thing for me) at it, but think I have a little equity to play with considering I bought it for a song.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Even if just pointing me in the right direction for someone who’d repair it.

Thanks.

Bret

Hi all,

I’m a new member (and subscriber ) to this awesome site.

I’m looking for a little help with a 5000a, I picked it up off CL for cheap and I’m intrigued by it and interested it trying to address the well known issue with it. The notorious channel blowing fuses.

I’ve done a lot of researching here about this issue. I do not have the 6013 boards, and think the odds of coming across them might be slim.

Wether, someone would be interested it making the needed repairs to my existing boards, and giving the unit a good once over (happy to compensate), or perhaps willing to mentor me as I learn a new skill, and walk me through it. I’d appreciate either.

I do have a good fluke multi meter, and even have access to a couple of analog meters at work. I am familiar with how to use these meters, but my experience with them is far more electrical than electronic diagnostics.

Anyway, thought I’d throw this out there to see if it leads to anything. Hoping so.

I did download the service manual for the 5000a, but admittedly it’s all Greek to me right now.

Even at this point in my life, I’m still a good student and feel I can be taught some skills with a patient instructor.

Even if my desire is to just get it working as quickly as possible to enjoy it. I’d go either way with it, but I’m not a deep pocket guy who can throw “surplus” cash (ha! No such thing for me) at it, but think I have a little equity to play with considering I bought it for a song.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Even if just pointing me in the right direction for someone who’d repair it.

Thanks.

Bret

Hi Bret, Dipo here, there is post on AK that details how to upgrade the driver boards for the 5000a. I'm not an electronics tech but this retro fit appears to be doable and the parts are cheap to stay on here and use the search until your fingers get tired. I've begun working on my 5000a and the retro fit (including pictures) is a great instructional piece. Also the folks on this site are the greatest and will give you much useful advice, welcome and have fun.

#metoo lol

just got dropped off a 5000a yesterday and the customer was vague on what its doing/not doing and who might/might not have worked on it.

so I researched last night at the F-1040 thread from 2011 is still there, but all attachments of photos and SCMs are gone.

can some of the sansui gods search and repost that? I have all the parts in stock (oddly I have the BD units cuz they were outputs on a little 5-8watt machine) and can help the OP with the workup if need be.

#metoo lol

just got dropped off a 5000a yesterday and the customer was vague on what its doing/not doing and who might/might not have worked on it.

so I researched last night at the F-1040 thread from 2011 is still there, but all attachments of photos and SCMs are gone.

can some of the sansui gods search and repost that? I have all the parts in stock (oddly I have the BD units cuz they were outputs on a little 5-8watt machine) and can help the OP with the workup if need be.

That would be great, and I appreciate that.

Getting the parts needed together is actually one of the more daunting tasks for me.

I do think with a little help, I stand a chance to be successful in making the repairs.

I just don’t really know how to get started.

Thanks for that offer! I’ll be checking back, hoping someone will be able to help out with the missing info from that thread. (I’ve read it also)

well I got the 5000a apart and I see the subject item, big time corrsion. IIRC (need to re-read) the parts you need are a bunch of 1N4148 diodes and a number of pairs of BD139/140 trans. I can get a current list, location etc once someone posts the pics again and I can see what they did. the idea is to tie the diodes to the case of the BD so they sense the heat. I theorize that the BD units runaway LESS than the originals so the fix is better than they believe.

That would be great, and I appreciate that.

Getting the parts needed together is actually one of the more daunting tasks for me.

I do think with a little help, I stand a chance to be successful in making the repairs.

I just don’t really know how to get started.

Thanks for that offer! I’ll be checking back, hoping someone will be able to help out with the missing info from that thread. (I’ve read it also)

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....5000-driver-amp-f-1040-f-1040a-boards.809261/

that leads, in a couple places to a post from 2011 by skippy124...the words are there, but the images are not...does anyone have these? there is another thread using the NTE devices, which I do not plan on. even if I can get jsut the schematic for what he did...I dont wanna solder from the words, get it wrong, and nuke the boards.

got a word doc from an AKer which has the SCM for what I need to do. I see how they did it so should be starting in on this in a week or so, got 3 cracked open right now waiting for a huge mouser/digikey order. stay tuned

Maybe some help. I did this a little different than the ones before, and a simple schematic from one of the earlier posts.

sansui f1040 f-1040.JPG sansui diode 1040 diagram with text.jpg

Back
Top Bottom