Who owned cars with multiple carburetors ?

Last multi-carb car I owned was the 1963 Austin-Healey Sprite that I became enamored of after I parted ways with Uncle Sam in 1980. Twin SU side-drafts that were a PITA to keep synced. I dumped a ton of $$ into rebuilding the engine, trans, and drivetrain on the thing and sold it for a pittance when the electrical system went Full Lucas. I was never so happy to see something towed away from where I was standing.

Owned quite a few bikes with multiple carbs and my '04 Bonneville is dual carburetor equipped. They went to FI a few model years later.

68 Masaratti 4 twin barrel down draft webers
65 Alpha Romero twin 2 barrel side draft webers
Plenty of Jags (1951-1961) twin side draft SU carbs

I also had the 1972 Datsun 240Z only I wish I still had it. Loved that car.
Nice! I had a '74-1/2 260Z with the twin side drafts. That car was so fast it scared me. It only lasted a couple of years, but it was great.
rBuckner, glad to hear your 72 Z is still rolling.

-Mark

1968 Cortina GT w. 2x Weber 48

View attachment 1112814
Nice. My mom bought a 1970 Mk ll new. I was 14 at the time and of course hell bent on her getting the Lotus, but could not convince her to upgrade. Having had a MGTF when I was very young she was also looking at the Datsun 2000 roadster, but went with the Cortina. A few years later she went back to a British ragtop and got a Triumph Spitfire with a removable hardtop. Being a girly girl, she of course she had to name it Topo Gigio.

Yes we do. We also witnessed Grandpa Giovanola, born in 1892, toss the ubiquitous blue chip stamp store's 5 lb emerald green ashtray across the den at the 15" b&w TV when the Beatles aired on Ed's Really Big Shoe. It was the end of civilization as far as he was concerned.

Nice! I had a '74-1/2 260Z with the twin side drafts. That car was so fast it scared me. It only lasted a couple of years, but it was great.
rBuckner, glad to hear your 72 Z is still rolling.

-Mark
Yes i know I once took to 132mph

Back
Top Bottom