Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Stopped in Savers today and found this;
The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan
Columbia ‎– CL 1986 Vinyl, LP, Album, Mono, USA, Released 27 May 1963 - VG
View attachment 1111372

There was also a "Another Side of Bob Dylan" CL-2193 Mono, 1964 that I passed on, pretty scratched up.

It might be a 1963 label, but the pic is not clear enough. It should say "COLUMBIA" MARCAS REG PRINTED IN USA in white around the bottom, which seems to show on the photo, but above that it should have GUARANTEED HIGH FIDELITY in black type, which I don't see.

My local Goodwill has been pretty dry for quite a while. Grabbed these Friday for 99 cents each. Not a scratch on any of them. Amazingly I did not have any of them in my collection. I do now though!

Lv1eHwU.jpg

Today's Thirst store haul.
Normally it is a big zero.
Some times a few CD's or LP's.
Once in awhile a big score of 10 or more CD's and or LP's from one store.
Today was a rare double hit.

About evenly split between two stores, approx 30 CD's.
As you can see they cover a wide range of types.
And I am sure several are dup's to me, still for a buck a pop I could not pass them up.
View attachment 1111466

#1 find in that stash IMO - Delicate Sound of Thunder. My favorite live recording probably ever.

Not the greatest deal in the world, but I had been looking for a relatively modern receiver with phono input, and stumbled upon this Sony STR-DA4ES receiver on facebook marketplace today for $100:

20180210_215728.jpg 20180210_215744.jpg20180210_222017.jpg 20180210_222102.jpg

The thing about this is, you never find stereo equipment this well taken care of in my area. They are always missing pieces, covered in filth, scratched up, etc. This one is in like-new condition, with the original box and all the paperwork including the ES product lineup brochure, original remote, etc. When I stopped by and bought this tonight, the seller told me he was from Wisconsin and bought it there. That explains it! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Today's Thirst store haul.
Normally it is a big zero.
Some times a few CD's or LP's.
Once in awhile a big score of 10 or more CD's and or LP's from one store.
Today was a rare double hit.

About evenly split between two stores, approx 30 CD's.
As you can see they cover a wide range of types.
And I am sure several are dup's to me, still for a buck a pop I could not pass them up.
View attachment 1111466
If you like the blues give that Keb Mo, Just Like You, a serious listen. It's a good one. ;)

It might be a 1963 label, but the pic is not clear enough. It should say "COLUMBIA" MARCAS REG PRINTED IN USA in white around the bottom, which seems to show on the photo, but above that it should have GUARANTEED HIGH FIDELITY in black type, which I don't see.

The 'GUARANTEED HIGH FIDELITY' is there, but I'm not sure which release it is:
CL1986.jpg

Side 1 matrix runout is stamped XLP-58717-3AB with an etched 'o' in front of it and an etched '1' after it and a little further to the right is what looks like an ecthed 'P'
Side 2 is stamped XLP-58718-2AC with the same etchings before and after.

I can't find anything with the '3AB' '2AC' on discogs. I'm not familiar with the meaning of those matrix stamps. Unfortunately this one isn't from the Terre Haute pressing plant, there's no 'T' etched anywhere. So I'm not sure of the release date on this one. The back of the jacket has the '1' printed at the lower right corner, and the front has the 'GUARANTEED HIGH FIDELITY' printed on the lower left below the side 1 track title list.

Thanks for looking.

On a whim, I picked up a Sony progressive scan dvd player yesterday to use for cds. Model DVP-NS725P. No remote but it did have the owners manual. It works. $4

This was a miss.Celestion DL10 These were in very nice shape at $79.99.I waited a day or two to see if they would be there Sat at half off.They were there Thur and Friday at mid day.Gone Sat morning at opening.In my research they are an interesting power hungry,heavy British type monitor sound from the mid 80s.If I was in need of speakers I would have bit at $80 but I have enough but at $40 would have bit.I doubt if anything like this will surface again there so it hurt a bit to have the opportunity and let it go for $40.Would have loved to hear them.Speakers of this quality are getting rarer and rarer to be thrift finds.

Attachments

• celestion.jpg
    celestion.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 66
This was a miss.Celestion DL10 These were in very nice shape at $79.99.I waited a day or two to see if they would be there Sat at half off.They were there Thur and Friday at mid day.Gone Sat morning at opening.In my research they are an interesting power hungry,heavy British type monitor sound from the mid 80s.If I was in need of speakers I would have bit at $80 but I have enough but at $40 would have bit.I doubt if anything like this will surface again there so it hurt a bit to have the opportunity and let it go for $40.Would have loved to hear them.Speakers of this quality are getting rarer and rarer to be thrift finds.

I feel your pain. Ur strategy actually is a sound one, imo, if we’re back in 2008. In 2018, and really for past several years, I’ve noticed things have changed dramatically. Vintage audio inventory at thrifts is way down, while demand is way up. Speakers used to sit and sit at prices like that for weeks or months, but no more.

At my local GW, the employees can buy things if not sold after 3 days. Who knows, that could have been what happened here as well with the Celestions as the timing was perfect and they got in the store before u did!

Last edited:
I feel your pain. Ur strategy actually is a sound one, imo, if we’re back in 2008. In 2018, and really for past several years, I’ve noticed things have changed dramatically. Vintage audio inventory at thrifts is way down, while demand is way up. Speakers used to sit and sit at prices like that for weeks or months, but no more.

At my local GW, the employees can buy things if not sold after 3 days. Who knows, that could have been what happened here as well with the Celestions as the timing was perfect and they got in the store before u did!
The strategy worked for a set of Realistic Mach 3s a few months ago.I was looking for pair of large speakers(landed up giving to my daughter who loves them).The Celestions were of a whole different ilk and were probably the best quality speakers I have seen in a few years here.Problem is I have pretty much what I need or want but these would have been interesting and may have pushed something out.Your right about quality audio in general at thrifts.Its just not there anymore even at this store which was quite a honeyhole for a number of years.Lesson reminded of...if you want it you better buy it now.

You are more likely to get large, heavy speakers. If it's four feet tall and 150 lbs, buyers will be few even at a rock-bottom price. Those Celestions are the size of speaker that many customers will buy.

The 'GUARANTEED HIGH FIDELITY' is there, but I'm not sure which release it is:
View attachment 1111784

Side 1 matrix runout is stamped XLP-58717-3AB with an etched 'o' in front of it and an etched '1' after it and a little further to the right is what looks like an ecthed 'P'
Side 2 is stamped XLP-58718-2AC with the same etchings before and after.

I can't find anything with the '3AB' '2AC' on discogs. I'm not familiar with the meaning of those matrix stamps. Unfortunately this one isn't from the Terre Haute pressing plant, there's no 'T' etched anywhere. So I'm not sure of the release date on this one. The back of the jacket has the '1' printed at the lower right corner, and the front has the 'GUARANTEED HIGH FIDELITY' printed on the lower left below the side 1 track title list.

Thanks for looking.

Based on my research, that seems to be the 1963 label, so you have a very early pressing.

I understand completely. I have missed out on some interesting stuff by playing the "I'll wait till it's half price" game. Most recently an old Zenith record player console with a nice little stereo tube amp in it. For me, my "didn't buy it" remorse out-weighs my buyer's remorse by about 4 to 1.

You are more likely to get large, heavy speakers. If it's four feet tall and 150 lbs, buyers will be few even at a rock-bottom price. Those Celestions are the size of speaker that many customers will buy.
That and the fact they were heavy and one can just tell the quality compared to all the rack system speakers that pass through.

And if an employee that got them, it probably would have been more like 60% off of reg price with the extra employees’ discount on top (add’l 10% discount I think), making the final cost only around $32 - a “no-brainer” in my mind.

I understand completely. I have missed out on some interesting stuff by playing the "I'll wait till it's half price" game. Most recently an old Zenith record player console with a nice little stereo tube amp in it. For me, my "didn't buy it" remorse out-weighs my buyer's remorse by about 4 to 1.
Yeah this stung a bit.I know though that if it is something you really want there is no waiting because it will be gone.If you want it more than likely someone else wants it.
I'll tell you another one that stung recently was a quality Yamaha CDX single disc player.These are not cheap on ebay and are well regarded.The drawer wouldn't open so I asked if they can discount it.He said let me check it out and in doing so it wouldn't open so he said "if it doesn't work we can't sell it" and proceeded to throw in a tall bin as I heard it land with a crash.I should have just bought it and if I needed to I could have brought it back if it was a lost cause.Ouch!...thats what I get for being a cheap bastard. $22.99 You live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom