The year is 1978

tater415

I just picked up a nakamichi 730 stereo receiver built in 1978. This model was designed and sold with a wireless remote. So my question is does anybody know of other stereo receiver manufacturers building and selling stereos with a remote in 1978. The nakamichi retailed right around $1,000 back in 78 which wasn't cheap, thanks for your replies

Technics had a cassette deck RS677 that had a wired remote control. My neighbor in the dorm had one.

It inspired me to buy a Technics as my first deck: RS631.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure that a Harmony 350 will run that unit, it runs a Nakamichi SR 4a pretty well, but it is a cheap remote, $40.

Wireless remotes started in the mid/late 60's with the mechanical remotes that made an audible "click" the TV responded to.

First click turned TV on
Subsequent clicks forced channel up until the end of the VHF band(around 12-13 clicks)
Once at the end of the channels the click would turn the TV off.

Repeat.

That's where the term "clicker" came to be used for the remote control.

Wireless remotes started in the mid/late 60's with the mechanical remotes that made an audible "click" the TV responded to.

First click turned TV on
Subsequent clicks forced channel up until the end of the VHF band(around 12-13 clicks)
Once at the end of the channels the click would turn the TV off.

Repeat.

That's where the term "clicker" came to be used for the remote control.
True.... and the drum tuner was advanced by a motor that looked exactly like one under a cheap record player.... a single winding on one side of the laminate. Clunk clunk. I think a crystal in the remote made the sound. You could often trigger the TV by jingling car keys.

I was just a kid in the sixties but I do remember those mechanical remotes used on TVs only. all my friends that had wealthy parents had the big console TVs with with remotes, and in my family all we had was a 19 inch black and white TV. however my dad made me the remote I constantly had to change the channel for him

The year is 1978. I've gone back in time to kick my 23 year old ass. He SO needed it.

Music was so important to us in those days. When anyone moved into a house or apartment the first thing we did was set up the stereo. Even with no remotes.

I think the Zenith Space Commander was one of the first wireless remotes. Literally had 2 hammers, one under each button, that struck a piece of metal that caused an ultrasonic tone to control the TV. Invented in 1956(!).

Zenith had a remote even earlier than the Space Command. The Flash-Matic remote (looked like a fancy flashlight) a few years before Space Command was invented. Elvis Presley had his special Flash-Bang Matic Remote Control for his RCA Victor TV sets (used when Robert Goulet was on). Killed the TV. Flash-Bang Matic Remote aka .45 caliber handgun. (Big Grin) In audio, the first wireless full function remote, would go to Bang & Olufsen of Denmark, who began offering some of their gear with it as early as 1975. Before that, some gear had wired remotes, mainly tape machines.

I recall that the higher end Fisher receivers had remote control in the late '60s.
Not wireless, but you could be in your 'listening position' and tweaking to your specs.

Zenith had a remote even earlier than the Space Command. The Flash-Matic remote (looked like a fancy flashlight) a few years before Space Command was invented. Elvis Presley had his special Flash-Bang Matic Remote Control for his RCA Victor TV sets (used when Robert Goulet was on). Killed the TV. Flash-Bang Matic Remote aka .45 caliber handgun. (Big Grin) In audio, the first wireless full function remote, would go to Bang & Olufsen of Denmark, who began offering some of their gear with it as early as 1975. Before that, some gear had wired remotes, mainly tape machines.
I think Prissy put the kabosh on that happening in her house again, iirc. One does have to wonder where the bullet stopped.

Obviously not a receiver but a piece of audio gear, my Accutrac turntable I bought in 76 or 77 had a remote. As I remember it you pointed it at this shiny silver ball. Pretty cool considering we were still using rotary phones ! I think it was some sort of light base signal as I could point it at a mirror so long as the ball was seen in the mirror it would work..

Now thinking back, the details are hazy. This could be inaccurate due to all the pot we were smoking back then! :banana:

I still have some stuff, a Marcof PPA-1 lomc head amp, and an Infinity Black Widow gf out on loan come to mind.

I had a big old black and white TV (Zenith Space Commander?) in my bedroom growing up. Had a remote control that used tuning forks. Once or twice while watching, a noise in the room would hit just the right frequency and the channel would change on its own.

1972 Imperial series Magnavox consoles came with a remote. I'm pretty sure it's sonic. Haven't tested it yet. 20171207_224725.jpg.

Back
Top Bottom