The Shape of Water

Who is the real monster? Beauty and the beast. Didn't think it was very original. Richard Jenkins was predictably very good in a supporting role.

I may watch it again. By the end, I was looking like a monkey doing a math problem... wtf? Best picture?

Hmm.... Of course, the need to communicate and to be understood is a human trait (and the creature's too). And the film was good in that respect.

The cold war setting did not add anything to the story, in my opinion... and in fact drew attention away from perhaps more crucial elements of the story.

3/5 stars.

I think that the set design and cinematography are first rate as is the acting.
This ^^^^ I'll also add that the soundtrack was well-recorded, perfectly corresponds with its time period of the1960s (locally, Baltimore), and, in my opinion is warrants some sort of industry award. I posted it several days ago in the "Today's Soundtrack Recording" thread and have listened to it about three times. Rarely do I like both a movie and its soundtrack. In this case, both were a pleasant surprise. I had no intention of watching the movie until my wife inquired about doing so. On top of that, I simply got sick of hearing about it in the media. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend doing so.

I couldn't sit through it, turned it off soon as they she was about to break it out.

The movie seemed very French to me. Surprising since I watched, and liked a few of the director's other works (Hellboy 1-2, Pacific Rim), nothing like those. Well the monster resembles Abraham Sapien a lot.

Have not seen it. The captures I've seen point towards some kind of recreation of "Creature form the Black Lagoon", perhaps with some "romance" (in absense of a better word?) added to it?

Have not seen it. The captures I've seen point towards some kind of recreation of "Creature form the Black Lagoon", perhaps with some "romance" (in absense of a better word?) added to it?

A red-scare era love story is what I got from the interviews and such.

I don't frequent Theatres much any more, so I'll see it in a few more weeks
when it comes to netflix or whatever.

I've watched a lot of Del Toro's films, from Chronos forward - some of them I liked ...

Very imaginative and in some respects awe inspiring. I have always liked Michael Shannon and I think he nailed his role and the other actors brought their A game. I think it wins Best Picture and Best Director this year. I'll say this, I now have a visual when I hear Cat Food by King Crimson. :D

Very imaginative and in some respects awe inspiring. I have always liked Michael Shannon and I think he nailed his role and the other actors brought their A game. I think it wins Best Picture and Best Director this year. I'll say this, I now have a visual when I hear Cat Food by King Crimson. :D
My favorite line in the movie is "I don't know if he's a god but he did eat a cat." :rflmao:

This ^^^^ I'll also add that the soundtrack was well-recorded, perfectly corresponds with its time period of the1960s (locally, Baltimore), and, in my opinion is warrants some sort of industry award. I posted it several days ago in the "Today's Soundtrack Recording" thread and have listened to it about three times. Rarely do I like both a movie and its soundtrack. In this case, both were a pleasant surprise. I had no intention of watching the movie until my wife inquired about doing so. On top of that, I simply got sick of hearing about it in the media. If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend doing so.

But...worth an Oscar?

Not challenging...just asking.

Q

Seems like there were a lot of questions asked about "Arrival" (2016) as well as some really liked this type of SciFi movie and some not so. There were so many different takes on it.

Hope I'm not bumping the intent of the thread by drawing a parallel from the same genre?

Q

Last edited:
Out of the four I've seen recently at the theater it is my favorite. The others in order liked: The Post, Darkest Hour, All The Money In The World. They were all good.

But...worth an Oscar?

Not challenging...just asking.

Q
Good question. In regard to awards, I was referencing the soundtrack. An Oscar for the film? No. A Grammy/music award for a well-recorded/sequenced/time-oriented soundtrack? Yes.

Back
Top Bottom