Ever sell a McIntosh Piece by Piece? Why?

jlovda

Things I loved from the 60's and 70's
Subscriber
I'm curious to know if anyone has ever disassembled a McIntosh and sold the pieces separately.

I have an MR77 tuner that has a very slightly bent chassis. Something a casual observer would never notice. The unit is otherwise pristine both physically and performance wise. Based on a few conversations, I honestly think I would have to drop the price well below $300 before anyone would be seriously interested. A bent chassis seems to be the kiss of death. The front panel glass with all the trim pieces is probably worth a lot. Then there are the knobs, etc.

People quite often sell speaker components that have damaged cabinets.

As the demand for tuners is pretty weak as it is, it'll likely be a tough sell.

Unfortunately the value of individual parts is proportional to the value to the unit itself so I don't see a lot of advantage in parting out.

Trying to visualize exactly what it would've taken to have bent a chassis. o_O

As the demand for tuners is pretty weak as it is, it'll likely be a tough sell.

Unfortunately the value of individual parts is proportional to the value to the unit itself so I don't see a lot of advantage in parting out.

Trying to visualize exactly what it would've taken to have bent a chassis. o_O
What are the parts proportional to? An MR77 in very clean condition may be worth $400-$700. An MR77 in very clean condition with a bent chassis may only bring $250. Glass costs about $150 regardless of which one you have.

The question then becomes what's someone going to pay for an MR77 with a bent chassis that needs a $150 part?

$250 is probably on the light side if otherwise as nice as you say - and working up to snuff.

love my MR77 - paid around $500 and just had it serviced for $139 - listening to it now actually - fantastic piece.

John,
There's no doubt in my mind that parts are worth more then a whole unit in a good condition, let alone damaged tuner.
Of course selling in parts might take a while and some parts just would not sell but still...
I haven't parted any McIntosh but I've seen some sellers on eBay that look like parting complete units.

Honestly, tuners will keep dropping in value - McIntosh or otherwise.

I recently let go of my Magnum Dynalab gear. It was fun to fiddle with and the meters looked cool. However, streaming FM from my Node 2 was simply better. I enjoyed the MD, but due to my location (valley), I was really considering a roof top antenna and was already using a MD Signal Sleuth. I gave FM streaming from the Node 2 a shot and haven't looked back.

With all that said, the unit is worth more parted out. Not sure that's something I would do if it's as nice as you say. But the chassis issue is something that should be disclosed and will impact the value in the used market.

Parted out a MR73. Made a lot more than I paid for it. Only needed one board out of it for repair on mine.

Back
Top Bottom