I laid down the money for a Gieseler Groß DAC today

mjw21a

I figured that since a number of people have sold their 10k dollar DAC's in favor of it, and the builder is struggling to keep up with demand it wounld be a good investment. I expect the price will go up to lessen demand for it at some point.

I'll be on holidays a few weeks so I'll pick it up once I'm back and post my impressions. It should be one heck of an upgrade from my Gustard DAC-X12 and it's nice to keep business local (in Australia)

Looking forward to receiving it , though unfortunately I don't have another comparable DAC to compare it with Presently the best three I've heard is the Starting Point Systems DAC3, Gustard DAC-X12 and S.M.S.L M8. There are people who have owned the Audiolab Direct Steam and sold it after comparing though far as I know that's not a particularly modern DAC. I'm looking forward to receiving volume control on mine though using a remote. My tube amps necessitate getting up to adjust the volume normally.

It has been favourably compared with some far more expensive units, hence my reason for getting one :)

Last edited:
Well done! From all accounts its a great DAC. Clayton Gieseler knows his stuff. I have one of this Klein DACs and it's superb value for money. Perhaps one day a Groß will find its way into my rig.

There are people who have owned the Audiolab Direct Steam and sold it after comparing though far as I know that's not a particularly modern DAC.

I think you'll find that it's the highly-regarded PS Audio Direct Stream DAC that people on SNA have sold in favour of the Groß

http://www.psaudio.com/directstream-dac/

I need to convince my brother he needs better than a sound bar yet. Thinking a Gieseler Klein DAC II + Dayton APA150 + Dayton 652 AIR towers + Dayton Sub-1500. Should make a very nice sounding system that will work fully from remote

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.0a4af1318266fc0e33040f6180592652.JPG

No sir...I just posted the image so the rest of us could see what you're talking about.

That DAC looks great !

I have a Music Hall 25.3 with Singxer XMOS spdif converter. I like mine pretty well.

Ah true. Not too worried one way or another about appearance. I'm keen on the sonic benefits + gaining remote volume control on the digital side of my system. Still about 2 weeks till I pick it up though

I need to convince my brother he needs better than a sound bar yet. Thinking a Gieseler Klein DAC II + Dayton APA150 + Dayton 652 AIR towers + Dayton Sub-1500. Should make a very nice sounding system that will work fully from remote
Not to sound like a cheapskate, (which I am), but why on earth would you buy him a $600 DAC to pair with a system that costs roughly $500 for the rest of the components? I'm not the most familiar with DACs, but I would think you could find one nearly as good for quite a bit less. Unless of course you can find a Klein II for less than new. A lot less.

Not to sound like a cheapskate, (which I am), but why on earth would you buy him a $600 DAC to pair with a system that costs roughly $500 for the rest of the components? I'm not the most familiar with DACs, but I would think you could find one nearly as good for quite a bit less. Unless of course you can find a Klein II for less than new. A lot less.

The sound is only ever as good as the source, and by including a remote and digital volume control it allows easy integration with a universal remote. If you're aware of a less expensive DAC offering the same I'd certainly take a look at it. The Dayton APA150 makes a relatively decent inexpensive power amp with auto on/off depending on whether there's a signal. The two together , with a universal remote will make for a system simple enough for anyone to use.

Dayton equipment continues to impress me in terms of performance for the cost. Running a pair of Dayton PS220-8's in my second system. The 652 AIR towers should be fine with the APA150.

What about the Emotiva DC-1@$499US

Plenty of inputs... Utilises two AD1955 chips, so decent for movies and TV. I've generally found the Sigma Delta chips great for movies and such, though quite fatiguing for music. Still, worth keeping in mind

Back
Top Bottom