Pink Floyd. Yes, I know... again. Still, It is Pink Floyd.

luddite

It seems that when it is time to listen to something loud, the recently expanded Pink Floyd collection is getting the green light most of the time. Don't know what it is, but so far I'm as ready to hear them again as I am to hear John Coltrane or Miles Davis or Brahms again. Pink Floyd seems to be timeless.
I have to say that I would not have gotten the new collection if you guys had not been relentless in your praise of these old classics. So... thanks, then.

A couple of weekends ago up in the mountains while playing poker, drinking beer and camping the oldest guy in the group (he's 55) requested some Pink Floyd. I put on More and about 20 minutes later he asked when I was going to play some Floyd. I then put on Saucerful and got blank stares from all of them. Finally I tried Obscured by Clouds and when they complained again I explained that I didn't have Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals or The Wall on my music player. They were bummed. I ended up playing Moon8 by Brad Smith and happiness ensued.

I guess 8 bit Floyd you know is better than smoking great Floyd you don't know.

A couple of weekends ago up in the mountains while playing poker, drinking beer and camping the oldest guy in the group (he's 55) requested some Pink Floyd. I put on More and about 20 minutes later he asked when I was going to play some Floyd. I then put on Saucerful and got blank stares from all of them. Finally I tried Obscured by Clouds and when they complained again I explained that I didn't have Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals or The Wall on my music player. They were bummed. I ended up playing Moon8 by Brad Smith and happiness ensued.

It sounds like you were just confusing the issue. ;) It's funny, how many folks who SAY they like a band, really mean they like "some" of a band's work. :scratch2: :D But I guess we're all guilty of that, to some extent or another.

It's funny, how many folks who SAY they like a band, really mean they like "some" of a band's work. :scratch2: :D But I guess we're all guilty of that, to some extent or another.
Every band has gotta release at least one bomb to have truly lived... unless a member passed away at 27.

It sounds like you were just confusing the issue. ;) It's funny, how many folks who SAY they like a band, really mean they like "some" of a band's work. :scratch2: :D But I guess we're all guilty of that, to some extent or another.

I have noticed certain bands have works that are somewhat ignored or are simply unknown to fans who otherwise like them. Floyd is a glaring example as most know them from Dark Side onwards.

Another would be U2. Rare is the fan who is familiar with Boy or October. It is as if they began with War.

One of these days, I have to get off my ass and listen to Fleetwood Mac's pre 1975 output.

Every band has gotta release at least one bomb to have truly lived... unless a member passed away at 27.

No way, dozens of groups/artists haven't. Pink Floyd, for one, never did...and I'm not even the biggest fan (I really like some of their stuff and just like other output).

One of these days, I have to get off my ass and listen to Fleetwood Mac's pre 1975 output.

I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the Bob Welch era of FM, and also his solo stuff.

Saw them live twice with Bob. One time they had a three billing tour of Savoy Brown (Boogie Brothers tour with three guitarists), FM, and Deep Purple.

It seems that when it is time to listen to something loud, the recently expanded Pink Floyd collection is getting the green light most of the time. Don't know what it is, but so far I'm as ready to hear them again as I am to hear John Coltrane or Miles Davis or Brahms again. Pink Floyd seems to be timeless.
I have to say that I would not have gotten the new collection if you guys had not been relentless in your praise of these old classics. So... thanks, then.
My daughter works for Warner Bro's records. For Christmas she got me three boxed sets, each devoted to a pink floyd album and containing three marbles in appropriate graphic design, a scarf, five or six cd's, DVD's and Blue Ray's including the music, mixes, some live footage, interviews, etc. They are pretty amazing packages.

The albums are Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here and The Wall.

I was not all that into Pink Floyd when they were releasing this stuff for the first time, though I was into them enough to have several of their albums. A limiting factor was that I was not into drugs and kinda saw them as "drug music" I still do, at least for that time. However, I really learned to appreciate them much more fully when I got the Pulse concert on Laserdisk. I'd never seen anything like it. Comfortably Numb brought tears to my eyes.

Pink Floyd, with a good light show, is pretty much the ultimate musical experience.

If you have not seen the youtube videos of Pink Floyd in 2016, live at Pompeii, you're in for an amazing treat. It's Pulse on steroids, outdoors and with LED lighting. Simply unbelieveable:

Back
Top Bottom