My Shure V15 Type iii crumbled in my hands

I have three of those things right here. That white piece is just too thick to be hiding under the black face. But I may be wrong....I may be right....

I think the photo is a bit misleading. I think the depth of the recess where the phenolic (and it's not really phenolic either but I can't remember what that material is, maybe cotton paper and epoxy, used to make circuit boards) piece fits is deeper than it appears there. Also, the plastic over the back isn't all that thick.

Doug

Last edited:
I had one of these once and the whole black piece came out neatly when removing a lead, one channel was messed up when I slid it back in so it got tossed. Bummer, I feel bad for you

I have three of those things right here. That white piece is just too thick to be hiding under the black face. But I may be wrong....I may be right....

I think one of those should be sacrificed so that we can get to the bottom of this...:idea:

I remember pulling the back end out of a cartridge once but I don't remember for sure which one (I think it was a Stanton) but the wires had enough slack so they didn't break off and all I had to do was gob a bunch of epoxy on it and shove it back in. It's been fine ever since.

Doug

You know, if they did, I bet they would but I'm sure they don't so they won't.

:D

Doug

About 20 years ago, I walked into an old electronics store to get a stylus for a Shure cartridge. The owner looked but didn't have one, but he did have a brand new Shure V15 Type 1 with a $45.00 price tag on it...:banana:

Stanton/Pickering did not pot their cartridges. The V15 type one is a horrid-sounding cartridge. And the chromed housing is heavy metal. On my V15 Type III, the plate is entirely outside the housing. And no, I will not spoil my cartridge in the name of something-or-other.

Right, the black plastic cover starts at the rear edge of the metal housing. But it's not flat. the edges of the plastic cover extend toward the front.

Doug

Stanton/Pickering did not pot their cartridges. The V15 type one is a horrid-sounding cartridge. And the chromed housing is heavy metal. On my V15 Type III, the plate is entirely outside the housing. And no, I will not spoil my cartridge in the name of something-or-other.

It's only horrid sounding in the wrong tone-arm. Shure did not think that one thru, the beautifully machined and polished aluminum housing was too heavy for the high compliance VN2E. They corrected the problem with a plastic housing for the V15 Type ll.

Not to get off topic here, but the V15 Type l sounds excellent with a N44E stylus which has a stiffer suspension than the stock VN2E.

Not to get off topic here, but the V15 Type l sounds excellent with a N44E stylus which has a stiffer suspension than the stock VN2E.

I'll probably just get another V15 iii. Really sucks because I literally just got the cartridge, but now I know to be extra extra careful (in other words insert leads and never remove them). When it did work it sounded absolutely amazing, and guess what, No sibilance whatsoever :D

Sibilance is mostly a product of poor alignment or a dry suspension. You were happy, which is what is important.

Back
Top Bottom