New LG Nano Cell 4k TV not bad at all.

For what its worth Costco has 65" OLED by LG for about $2700. They look better than I have seen with a five minute examination than anything else. . Sure they have the contrast cranked up to high and the brightness pedal to the metal, but other wise they seem to be the top of the heap. Samsungs QLED is fairly close but far from receiving the trophy at the finish line. But for now I will stick with my Pioneer Ellites. They look real. I admit they need to be in area where daytime light can be controlled, but other than that the picture is faithful. I don't like looking at displays that render everything as view through a polarized filter and captured on Kodachrome film. As for resolution at 16ft from a 61 inch screen, I can't see the difference and neither can you.

@twiiii you are most certainly correct. I used to own a Pioneer Elite 60in Kuro and it was the best TV I ever owned and wished I still had it. Fast forward to now and having had multiple 4k led tvs with so many problems, DSE (Dirty screen Effect) light bleed, stuck pixels and I've had it. The nano cell TV I currently received which is there newest model is a nice TV, however the light bleed increasingly got worse after being broken in and now I have discovered 3 stuck pixels, so I had them order the Oled. I'm tired of this whole thing so from what I have seen and read about the oled this should be the last TV I should have for awhile and I should have just started with the oled. Oh well I've learned quite a bit on this whole journey, live and learn.

Audiofreak71

Thanks, I appreciate that. I just really don't want anyone to go through what I have as it was a nightmare, so I figured the more people that know about the shortcomings of these led tvs then hopefully they will know what to look for when they bring one home. In my case since I am over sensitive to the picture on my tvs I notice the small imperfections and large ones, like DSE (Dirty screen Effect) and light bleed and I can't stand it. I also believe that as much as these tvs cost the we as consumers should not have to worry about these things.

I didn't even know nor had I heard of DSE or light bleed when I had a crt TV or a plasma TV so why are we having to deal with this now?. I don't know the answer to that but I do know that tvs are pricey enough that we shouldn't have to worry about those imperfections. With that said like I said above I've opted to go with the highest end oled and we'll see how that works out, or doesn't. Crossing my fingers.

Audiofreak71

oled are better? There is a 2 year lg oled 55 inch in my local recycling center already. Not sure if the screen is broke, but it won't turn on. Might get to play with it wednesday if they let me take it. Dying to open it up and see what it looks like inside. should I post pics if i do?

oled are better? There is a 2 year lg oled 55 inch in my local recycling center already. Not sure if the screen is broke, but it won't turn on. Might get to play with it wednesday if they let me take it. Dying to open it up and see what it looks like inside. should I post pics if i do?
Yeah by all means post pictures if you can.

Well update : I ended up sending the Nano cell back because 1st it had light bleed that I just couldn't look past but 2nd and more importantly I noticed 3 stuck pixels and that's a manufacturer defect and a big no go, so I returned it and just went to the top and got the LG Oled. Big big difference, I finally have my inky blacks like my Pioneer Elite Kuro had and by having those blacks it makes the whole picture look so much better. I still have to do the break in period but initial impressions are very positive.

Audiofreak71

How reliable are these? Not sure if I want to lay out money as I see too many sets end up in recycling. Some have cracked screens, but many just fail. The old crts people throw out still work.

How reliable are these? Not sure if I want to lay out money as I see too many sets end up in recycling. Some have cracked screens, but many just fail. The old crts people throw out still work.
So far there LGs are really good and long as there properly taken care of they should last for years. There also not plagued by the dreaded DSE (Dirty screen Effect) that the non oleds usually have. I usually keep my tvs for at least 8yrs and do my homework before buying into them, unfortunately it took me going through 8 4k led tvs before I jumped on the 4k oled bandwagon and now I wish I would have just started with the oled. Oh well you live and learn.

Audiofreak71

Picked up tv and has a small crack in left edge which screwed up part of picture. Unfortunately,can buy one used for $1000 (whole tv), screen is used from a guy in canada for $700 with shipping included, or selling screen new for 1300. This only has 60 hz refresh which for the money would wait for 240 to come down. I also read that these can suffer burnin which should have beeen fixed when the issue occurred with plasma.

Picked up tv and has a small crack in left edge which screwed up part of picture. Unfortunately,can buy one used for $1000 (whole tv), screen is used from a guy in canada for $700 with shipping included, or selling screen new for 1300. This only has 60 hz refresh which for the money would wait for 240 to come down. I also read that these can suffer burnin which should have beeen fixed when the issue occurred with plasma.
The new oleds have software built in that prevents burn in, however you still have to use sense with them, leaving a static image on the screen all day may create burn in, but there is a deeper anti burn in in the software that even fixes the harder burn in. But with anything that's expensive you have to take care of it. If your someone that watches CNN 24/7 and doesn't really pay attention to equipment (set it and forget it) then an OLED probably isn't for you. But if you are a movie watcher, gamer then an OLED is perfect. I never thought I would see a TV with blacks that were better than my pioneer elite Kuro but I have found it with this oled.

Audiofreak71

Also that must be a 1st Gen oled to only have a 60hz refresh rate, the new ones are 240hz, I didn't even know they made oleds with a 60hz refresh rate.

Audiofreak71

It has a november 2016 manufacture date. Must be their cheaper model. A lot of companies play games with the specs to think you are getting a good price.

It has a november 2016 manufacture date. Must be their cheaper model. A lot of companies play games with the specs to think you are getting a good price.
Well if it's an LG which would there B6 model I believe, M pretty sure there isn't a cheaper model in terms of the screen quality because all of there screens are the same it's just the aesthetics of the TV that is different. Mine is the B7 model and it's the exact same screen as there pricey signature e7 model.

Audiofreak71

What I am waiting for is the price to drop on A 75" OLED. Almost Like buying my first 150 elite Pioneer plasma. Fortunately Audio Classics gave me a great discount at the time. By the time the price starts to fall 8K displays will be all the rage. I assume by then that the only way to get maximum resolution sources will be by streaming. Finding sources now for 4K are limited at best or quite costly. 8K is just the next step. I was hoping 4k would be a plateau like NTSC 525 was for so many years. Till color came along. My first color TV was the 13" trinitron by Sony. I bought to watch the Saturn rocket launches. After seeing that I couldn't wait to get my 17" Sony and then the 26" model. I couldn't afford the 43" tube Sony, so bought a 35" Mitsubishi. Bummer, once a trinitron lover always a lover. But I guarantee the model 150 Pioneer made a Plasma believer out of me, and it keeps the room warm in the winter. The 151 has a better blacks but other wise I can't really tell the difference. Owning 2 plasmas and 6 LED 1080P displays I have been lucky not to have any issues.

Last edited:
What I am waiting for is the price to drop on A 75" OLED. Almost Like buying my first 150 elite Pioneer plasma. Fortunately Audio Classics gave me a great discount at the time. By the time the price starts to fall 8K displays will be all the rage. I assume by then than the only way to get maximum resolution sources will be by streaming. Finding sources now for 4K are limited at best or quite costly. 8K is just the next step. I was hoping 4k would be a plateau like NTSC 525 was for so many years. Till color came along. My first olor TV was the 13" trinitron by Sony. I bought to watch the Saturn rocket launches.
You are right good 4k sources are a bit pricey. I own the oppo udp 203 and it is an excellent Swiss army knife of a player and I think at $549 retail it's a bargain, however you can get a basic 4k player for around $150. I owned the Pioneer elite pro 151fd and had it for 8yrs, jumped on the 4k party to early (long story) but recently jumped on the Oled bandwagon and I honestly should have just bought am oled in the first place. The picture is better than my Kuro and the blacks are inky and even throughout the whole screen just like my Kuro was. So I'll ride this TV out as long as it works, then try and be smart about the next thing that's out when the time comes.

Audiofreak71

It's an oled. I read that the screen doesn't last as long as the 4k led backlit ones. A guy in Canada has the screen I need to fix it. What is strange is he has the screen and no electronics. Too bad it would cost close to $300 to ship and I wouldn't trust it to make it in one piece. I should sell him the electronics to use with his screen and then use the money to put otward my set. Going to wait for a price drop when more companies start making them. I was told qled might be better, last longer than oled. The made the screen so thin and the metal edge on my set so close to the glass that the slighest bump cracked the screen. Why can't they make covers like they make on cell phones for these tvs?

The new oleds have software built in that prevents burn in, however you still have to use sense with them, leaving a static image on the screen all day may create burn in, but there is a deeper anti burn in in the software that even fixes the harder burn in. But with anything that's expensive you have to take care of it. If your someone that watches CNN 24/7 and doesn't really pay attention to equipment (set it and forget it) then an OLED probably isn't for you. But if you are a movie watcher, gamer then an OLED is perfect. I never thought I would see a TV with blacks that were better than my pioneer elite Kuro but I have found it with this oled.

Audiofreak71
We stopped by Micro Center yesterday--my youngest needed a new laptop for her college courses. Of course we also spent some time over in the TV section, and that LG OLED model they had was absolutely stunning to see. It clearly was better than any of the other sets on display around it (other LG models, the Samsungs near by, etc.). I had to get about two feet away before I could even see any pixellation in the picture. And those blacks were indeed amazing. The only downfall is that I have to save up 3x as much to get the OLED over the other LG I'm interested in. ;) This was the 65"...and we even joked that after a few more years, I may need to use one as a monitor due to my lousy eyesight. :D

Just....wow!

We stopped by Micro Center yesterday--my youngest needed a new laptop for her college courses. Of course we also spent some time over in the TV section, and that LG OLED model they had was absolutely stunning to see. It clearly was better than any of the other sets on display around it (other LG models, the Samsungs near by, etc.). I had to get about two feet away before I could even see any pixellation in the picture. And those blacks were indeed amazing. The only downfall is that I have to save up 3x as much to get the OLED over the other LG I'm interested in. ;) This was the 65"...and we even joked that after a few more years, I may need to use one as a monitor due to my lousy eyesight. :D

Just....wow!
Your right the picture on these oleds are nothing short of stunning, you think they look great in the showroom wait until you get one into your home, there much better there if you can believe it. Im still in the break in period on mine before I can get my tech over here to professionaly calibrate it but just from my settings out of the box the picture is incredible.

Prices have come way down if you look, I believe the 65in is down to $2500 and the 55in $1500 thats way down from $8k on the 65in and $5k for the 55in a couple years ago.

Audiofreak71

Prices have come way down if you look, I believe the 65in is down to $2500 and the 55in $1500 thats way down from $8k on the 65in and $5k for the 55in a couple years ago.
I noticed that most of LG's TVs are on sale--I think it's near the end of the year in terms of models, and there may be even better bargains on the 2017 models in the next month or so. I am not ready to buy though, which is a drawback--Uncle Sam needs his share first.

Back
Top Bottom