MSB Gold Link - anyone change pins to upsample 132?

rruffin

Greetings. Finally found a pdf User’s Manual for the Gold Link. Is says there is a pin that, if changed, will allow an increase from 96 to 132 MHz as the highest upsampling rate. They admit that this rate is over spec, but suggest trying it anyway.

Has anyone tried this? Thanks in advance.

Rick

That is an old DAC from the early 2000s. I owned that and the power base that went with it. I did remember changing the pin configuration back then. I couldn’t hear any sound improvements.

That is an old DAC from the early 2000s. I owned that and the power base that went with it. I did remember changing the pin configuration back then. I couldn’t hear any sound improvements.

Thanks. Was wondering if it was worth the trouble...

Thanks. Was wondering if it was worth the trouble...
It shouldn’t be much trouble to unscrew the top and change the jumper. That way you verify that it is an improvement or not. Just remember that unit is ancient compare to today’s DACs.

Yes, little trouble... And thanks for reminding me about the improvements in dacs. We are very lucky that technology keeps giving us better sound reproduction equipment so rapidly. However, I must say that this ancient dac, used with an upgraded power supply (Monolithic HC-2b) and a modern usb to s/dif adapter, sounds pretty good. My buddies use Schiit Yggrasil dacs and they both have been positively impressed with the sound of the Gold Llink - especially after one of them "cleaned" the inside, including all the contacts. Frankly, I have not wanted to take them up on their offer to borrow one for a listen - didn't really want to compare until I was ready to upgrade (even to a Gungnir). Your statement is motivating me to give a modern dac a try.

Last edited:
Depending on your wallet and what you need to use it for, there are plenty of modern dacs that would work for you. I am using the Oppo Sonica Dac at present. It sounds great but there are cheaper units to be sure.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I thought maybe Rick still has this DAC.
I have the MSB Gold Link DAC III and a late model at that and I am using the P1000 power supply. I like to tweak so this DAC has allowed me to do that and I like it very much. I found that with a few mods it still mops the floor with many DACs out there. I have replaced the Op Amps with LME49720HA "can" op amps. This had the result of tremendously opening the sound stage and adding detail. The next modification that I can not recommend enough is to add a Monarchy Audio DIP processor between your source and then feed the MSB Gold with an AES/EBU signal. The Monarchy will reclock the signal and additionally increase the voltage of the signal for the MSB. The MSB seems to REALLY like this as there is another big bump on sound quality, primarily generating a holographic soundstage allowing the speaker boxes to just sort of disappear. And to answer the original question: Yes, it is easy to change the clock jumper in side the MSB for upsampling to 132.3 and I feel that it helps to smooth the sound. The rest of the gear is Musical Fidelity A3.2CR preamp, power amp and CD driving Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum's. I am really pleased with the performance. If you need USB as an input you can always add a Topping D10 or Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 to convert USB to optical or coax SPDIF to feed the DAC. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom