What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

uwkx7ate1d33.jpg

John McLaughlin • Extrapolation

Must sound amazing!
Only heard them in a studio Stevo and they were stunning....holographic and sweet.
Hideously expensive,prices for big Tannoys not helped by the Japanese vacuuming up a lot that come on the market.The new Chinese bourgeoisie see them as status symbols so demand from there.Sadly Tannoy now produce their off the shelf stuff in China,while continuing to build the big muvvers in Scotland.:)

Your post brings me to a question sir....

I’ll be spending portion of My weekend finally cleaning my records (a whopping 60 or so) with the Studebaker record cleaning machine that I bought this week.

My question for all of y’all with those amazing collections , is how do y’all organize your collection? Currently I have them arranged alphabetically by last name. But I’ve been thinking about separating them by genre and then alphabetically..... was thinking would make it quicker to find album. I know my meager collection doesn’t take much time to go through to find one to spin now, but my goal this year and going forward is to focus on adding to it a good bit now that I’ve got my equipment set up the way I want:thumbsup:

I'm coming to the conclusion that a database management system is probably the way to go, particularly if you have a large quantity of classical recordings. That way, you can just number new acquisitions as you enter them into your database, and make sure you always put them back in the same place. (Good luck with that)

There are so many ways to organize that it's easy to become lost very quickly. How, for example, would you classify a CD that has Beethoven's 2nd symphony and Schubert's 8th? I noticed someone played a Tchaikovsky recording a few days ago that put the 1812 overture into second place. I forget what was first, but if that first recording was used to catalogue the recording, how would you find the 1812?

A year ago, I bought a set of 100 LPs. The Franklin Mint 100 Greatest Recordings Of All Time. The accompanying booklet detailing the recordings is 8 pages, 12 inches square, and lists the recordings 4 times; by record number, composer, artist/conductor and title, and that is just for 100 LPs. Trying to manage 1000s in any meaningful way is mind-blowing.

Currently, I'm still browsing through stacks of LPs/CDs until I find something that I would like to listen to. I have no idea (yet) how to find specific items. If I ever come up with an idea that works, I'll post it here.

Back
Top Bottom