Hi! New from North Dakota!

cdmccul

Hey, thanks for the welcome! :)

I just posted in the "Realistic Mach 2 mods" thread, and began to put this introduction there... then thought that'd be in bad form, and so here it is!

I was once an active poster at "DodgeIntrepid.net", but it has been too many years since I was on it - and I'm having to re-learn forum codes now for links and images and the like.

My first speakers happened to also be Realistics (we were at Radio Shack WAY too much when I was a kid). They were Nova-16s. They existed up till about 9 years ago when I moved - and I think they went to a kid in the neighborhood, the surrounds were shot and the boxes had gotten damaged with time. Kinda wish I had them now, but oh well - I have to remind myself I don't need them and that sentimental value only goes so far.

The same time I saved up and bought those, I also bought the Speaker Building book that Radio Shack sold in the early 90s.
s-l1600.jpg

Gee, look at what's on the cover??

I took that book and rebuilt a set of Panasonic cabinets I had. They were part of an all-in-one 8-track unit from back in the quadraphonic days - SB-300 Thrusters.
s-l1600.jpg

They got a Realistic 8" retail box woofer, a Pyle or Pyramid 2" horn Piezo Tweeter (looked like this):
ntx1004pz_6.jpg

and then used the factory drivers as mids - if I remember right, they were 4 ohm and I ran them in series... Then ran them all through a Realistic cross over. I then used the book to find the cross over points, and calculate the port size and length, and used PVC to make it. They were my prized creation at 12 years old, but I have no idea how they sounded to discerning ears. They eventually found a garage sale and were gone during a move when I was like 16.

After that the only real speaker construction/restoration I've done was to build a 6+1 surround sound (part of a 7.1) set from ElectroMavin.

The center channel speaker (Luxeon wedge-back box with Boston drivers):
31-sca1-1000.jpg

The 6 surround speakers (this is with totally wrong drivers installed, these are the original Luxeon speakers before Mavin got some empty boxes and sold kitted speakers, terminals, and crossovers with them... Same story with the center channel originally also):
luxeon-5.jpg

My two sons and I spent an afternoon putting the kits together. It was a lot of fun to bond over, and they get to enjoy the work with every movie we watch.

Had a great experience buying from them. I really like the Boston center channel unit... but the woofers in the 6 tower speakers they sold me didn't stand up the Harmon receiver, and the wires broke where they sat against the cone. I did cut the dust caps back and fixed them with a blob of solder and glued the caps, but they both blew out a month later so I put Pyle PDMW5 (open back) in it, and I've been very happy with those being driven by my Pioneer 7.1 receiver. I think maybe the highs are little too sparkly, but they are very comfortable to listen to. I'll post up pictures of the actual results of the surround sound speakers if anyone is interested.

My newest project though is the Mach II linked above at the top of the post. I hope to work on them early this spring and begin to break them in soon.

I look forward to sharing my progress and experience here.

Last edited:
Great intro!! Welcome to AK!

Thanks!

OH NO! Another Chrysler LH platform owner!

Hehehe, well I used to be... That's why I'm not on forums for the last few years. I got busy with work, kids, and new house... And gave away my last prized Intrepid to a single dad that needed to bring his daughter to see her mom. The EX GF still has a second gen, but I was a first gen guy.

I'm actually in negotiations on a Eagle Vision, we'll see.

My biggest accomplishment with the LH was a conversion from 3.3 to 3.5, something never before documented in a first gen. I also did several other custom upgrades, including adding DVD headrests, aux input in factory radio, sunglasses holders on B pillar, New Yorker interior swap, second gen interior swap, etc etc etc.

I was also semi active on "LH.net"

Welcome to AK! Not many of us in ND.

Thanks! I'm a transplant here... I'm originally from Iowa. Live just north of the big lake, I'm in Minot or Bismarck at least once a month. If you need a hand with something (cars, house repair, audio stuff, electronics repair, or even just breaking bread!), look me up!

Hi cdmccul and welcome to AK. Very impressive work you have done!:thumbsup: Enjoy your audio journey.

Wow! That means a lot! Thank you! I hope to be able share what I can here, but no internet at home slows me down a bit. Posting by phone right now, otherwise I post on break at work.

Say, speaking of Iowa... Didn't I read about a mid-west meet up a few years ago? Makes me long for home. Any meets in ND?

Thanks!
Hehehe, well I used to be... That's why I'm not on forums for the last few years. I got busy with work, kids, and new house... And gave away my last prized Intrepid to a single dad that needed to bring his daughter to see her mom. The EX GF still has a second gen, but I was a first gen guy.

I'm actually in negotiations on a Eagle Vision, we'll see.

My biggest accomplishment with the LH was a conversion from 3.3 to 3.5, something never before documented in a first gen. I also did several other custom upgrades, including adding DVD headrests, aux input in factory radio, sunglasses holders on B pillar, New Yorker interior swap, second gen interior swap, etc etc etc.
I was also semi active on "LH.net"

We have a vehicle sub forum here 'Wings, Wheels and Mud and Water' or something like that...
Certainly be nice if you'd post there also and show off some of your work. I would love to see it!:thumbsup:

Welcome to AK!

Thanks!

We have a vehicle sub forum here 'Wings, Wheels and Mud and Water' or something like that...
Certainly be nice if you'd post there also and show off some of your work. I would love to see it!:thumbsup:

I may just have to do that, thank you. I wonder if my photo hosting still exists...

Nice intro, very nice! Welcome from Germany! :)

Thanks!

"Yay, a goat!" (Bad Lip Reading, anyone?)

Thanks!

Welcome to AK friend! Come on in and stay a while! :beatnik:

Thanks for the welcome! Mind if I kick off my shoes then?

Hope to be able to stay a while, yes! Is there an electronics repair sub? Like, small stuff, cell phones, custom clocks, and the like. And computer issues, hardware or software?

I spent some time last night poking around, but tied to a phone slows ya down. Is there an 'Droid app, like does Tapatalk (???) work with AK?

Back
Top Bottom