Dual 1219 Pitch problem

squeaky

Ihave a problem with my Dual 1219.

After about two minutes of playing the pitch drops considerably (must be about 4% or more) and stays there (ie too slow) and usually the pitch adjustment doesnt function anymore, so i cant get it back.

The strange thing is that it doesnt always happen that the pitch drops, sometimes weeks go by with out any problems (TT is used daily)

anyone ever expereince this and know how to solve it.

many thanks!

The clue was the fact that this takes a bit of time to happen, and when off, it resolves itself. Dry motor bushings. Friction heats them up, makes them snug. If you do not tend to them now, you will be out the cost of another motor real soon.

ah ok thanks for the repply.

is this something i can do myself or do i need to have it done by a proffesional

You may be able to get by with a good pair of pliers or even better, the right size wrench, a screwdriver and a jewelers screwdriver.
With some guidance, you should be able to do this. I am typing from my phone, so expect myself or others to reply later.

I would have expected someone in The Peanut Gallery to have responded by now. If not, give me a holler and I will walk you through it.

It can be done by a novice. Are you comfortable popping the platter, and yanking the unit out of the base (plinth) to dig in there? You want to get the motor loose. You will remove the spindle, unscrew the motor and free the center core. There is a well that the bottom rides in - clean out the old oil and re-lube with good oil. 30 weight, or Electric Motor Oil will do a nice job. Also the collar that the spindle rides up through needs a good drop of oil. You're not going to go nuts with it but a few in the bottom and one or two up top, bolt it all back and put everything back in place. Don't get oil or finger prints on the core. Good for another 40 years. I had this same sluggish thing going on with my old 1019 years ago, and it was how I got into bringing these things back from the dead. Very annoying as the dang thing was clean as a whistle and I wasn't too confident about digging into it. But it was that or pay someone more than it was worth to fix it or have a cool paperweight. Good luck!

When my Dual 1229 had that problem, it didn't slow down as the motor warmed up; instead, it started chirping incessantly. Sometimes it would start doing it after playing one LP side, or sometimes it would take longer. The hard part for me was getting the cover off of the motor, but bohhey, another AKer, walked me through it, and eventually the cover came free like he said it would.

My 1229 was't running very slowly, and not inconsistently, before the motor bearing cleaning and lube, but it did run somewhat faster and I think with more power afterward -- and the chirping was gone, in fact the motor was very quiet afterward.

Good luck! Read up on the motor servicing process. Think about it. You can probably do it yourself. If finally you don't want to, you could have somebody service the motor for you, or get the whole table refurbed, including the motor service. Seth ( @NoTransistors ) is one of the techs who does that.

signed,
One of the Peanuts in the Gallery.

My parents did not have a color TV until I bought them a 19" Toshiba Blackstripe in 1982. And the picture on that set rivaled the Sony Trinitron. Matter of fact, red was superior and black was superb.

If finally you don't want to, you could have somebody service the motor for you, or get the whole table refurbed, including the motor service. Seth ( @NoTransistors ) is one of the techs who does that.
^^^
If you're anywhere near Brooklyn, take it to the Dual Whisperer (AKA NoTransistors). You could probably do it yourself, but you might leave a screw lose, right Seth? :D

Oh, Mr. Flounder, your error was only a simple 'fluke' on your part. Your 'sole' is certainly not damaged. Or at least, I trout it very much.

Most of you need to know has been said here. Once your motor is cleaned and oiled it will run a long time without issues. I really like the 1219/1229 turntables. End each day playing mine. Have four Dual turntables. All got the motor done. Standard procedure by me. Notransistors is the go to guy here. Still amazed how can take arms apart. I work on Dual's but tonearm and cue repair is above my pay scale! Motors not bad. Do one and you are good to go. Welcome to AK. Loads of info here. Learn something daily.

Eric

NOTE: The next step, if it were me needing someone work on my motor (or to refurb my turntable), would be for me to send a private message, through the forum's "Conversations" feature, to inquire more about it from the person or persons I've learned do that work. Why? Because it is against forum rules to actually conduct business or sell things in the regular discussion threads like this one.

Back
Top Bottom