Yet another attempt at matching the AU-X1X covers

Good to know. That lid looks good.

I paint a lot of lids and Technics has been the hardest color so far to match.

Is this duplicolor quite a rugged paint? Easy to apply without leaving lots of streaky lighter/darker bits?

Many auto parts stores (not the Auto-zone type franchises) can do a digital scan and duplicate pretty much any color and put it in an aerosol can for you. It's not super cheap, but the last time I had something matched it cost me $22 for the large can. They even gave me the rest of the mix-batch in a can in case I needed another spray-bomb made up.

Many auto parts stores (not the Auto-zone type franchises) can do a digital scan and duplicate pretty much any color and put it in an aerosol can for you. It's not super cheap, but the last time I had something matched it cost me $22 for the large can. They even gave me the rest of the mix-batch in a can in case I needed another spray-bomb made up.
I did that 10 or 12 years ago to match the bronze color trim on a G-22000. To mix paint to match, I had to buy a minimum quantity of paint, pay a fee for them to match it, then an additional fee to package it in spray cans. I wound up with three standard size spray cans and if memory serves it was about $75 total. That bronze color is also very close to the color of the metal grill on X0X0 series receivers and I've used it to paint many of them.

Most auto parts stores around here mostly mechanical parts are more like auto-zone. They don't supply bulk paint for auto body shops. There are specialty auto body supply shops that supply automotive paints in bulk. It was one of these stores that custom packed the spray cans for me.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom