How different is a Shure V15 III compared to a M75?

Flounder

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a Shure M75D with a JICO N75EJ replacement that sounds pretty darn good (not as good as the Stanton 881, but pretty good). I've been obsessing about a V15 for my Dual 1229 and/or 701. Is there really that much of a difference?

I have a Shure M75D with a JICO N75EJ replacement that sounds pretty darn good (not as good as the Stanton 881, but pretty good). I've been obsessing about a V15 for my Dual 1229 and/or 701. Is there really that much of a difference?

Yes there is a difference but you won't necessarily hear it on every recording. The first thing to consider though is which stylus would be more appropriate for your tone-arm, the medium compliance N75EJ or a high compliance stylus for the V15 lll cartridge.

The M75 is an M91 with the stylus carrier shape changed so they could be sold at different price points. Reputedly, the M91 is the V15 II rebranded after the V15 III was introduced.

The Dual 701 I own came with it's original V15-III mounted at the factory. The stock carrier/sled was specifically made for this cartridge as it snaps into place - no mounting screws. I have seen the same setup on lower model Duals which came with a Shure M75 type D fitted with NB-71 styli.

I posted this elsewhere before but I recently observed in a local turntable specialty shop, an M75 mounted to an esoteric arm on an esoteric turntable with about a two inch thick platter. I remarked to the shop owner my surprise at seeing such a utilitarian cartridge on that rig and his comment was "old Shure's just do everything so well".

Last edited:

The Shure M75 is closer to a V 15 Type II or Type II Improved, as the M 75 family was the step down. It is an excellent cartridge. Arguably my favorite Shure classic.

I agree. It is a great sounding cartridge. I guess what I was looking for was a little wider sound stage and more space around the instruments. I guess my Stanton has spoiled me, and I was looking for that Shure sound with the space and sound stage and of the Stanton. I also find the Stanton has more depth and dimension. (Yes. I want it all :D). I find the M75 a little compressed compared to the Stanton. Different beasts I know.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

FYI

Shure M75 D - spherical

Shure M75 EJ - N75EJ Type .0004 X .0007 in. Biradial (Elliptical)

Stanton 881 - presume it to be Shibata :idea:

If that is the case, not really a fair comparison. :no:

Which Shure V15 III stylus will you be considering, elliptical, HE, SAS? :idea:

>Stanton 881 - presume it to be Shibata
I'm currently using a Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE on the Stanton, but I agree it's still not really a fair comparison. :).

>Which Shure V15 III stylus will you be considering, elliptical, HE, SAS?
Which ever could give me that sound stage I was describing.

Jico doesn't list the spec for N75EJ on their website. I don't want to assume it's the same as teh Shure N75EJ, but I'm guessing it is.

>Stanton 881 - presume it to be Shibata
I'm currently using a Pfanstiehl 4822-DEE on the Stanton, but I agree it's still not really a fair comparison. :).

>Which Shure V15 III stylus will you be considering, elliptical, HE, SAS?
Which ever could give me that sound stage I was describing.

Jico doesn't list the spec for N75EJ on their website. I don't want to assume it's the same as teh Shure N75EJ, but I'm guessing it is.

The Shure V15 III with the boron cantilever SAS may come close to that description. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom