My experience with older cd/dvd players as audio players

I had this one, it is really an awesome player. The Sonys are known for sounding quite bright, but this one has a somewhat dark, but natural and analog sound. It also has some luxury components inside. True audiophile.
Way back in 2001 I decided to give digital another try as my first player at $1000 sounded like dog shit, also the subsequent cheap players.

On the advice of the great reviews comparing it favorably to the much more expensive Rega Planet I purchased the Sony DVP-NS500V for $279, again I was underwhelmed, although SACD was a bit better than Redbook CD playback, still way short of my vinyl. The DVP-NS900V was $1000 at the time and with my poor experience with the media so far I just couldn't justify the expense.

Fast forward to 2016, I see a DVP-NS900V on eBay for $80, OK at this price it will at least be a better looking player lol. Well I sure was in for a surprise, the sound coming from this player was NOTHING like that from the NS500, warm, fluid, almost analogue in its presentation.

This led me to purchase the DVP-NS999ES, again at the bargain basement price of $80. Well, I won't say it was the same aha moment the NS900V was, but it was every bit as good and in silver a tad nicer looking with my vintage silver faced gear.

The carousel ES unit is quite capable, and yes also better than the NS500, but the single disc unit upper tier models are schveeter.

Still on the lookout for a silver faced 900, the only one I've been able to locate is in Russia and too expensive just for a color difference.

I prefer using an old Marantz CD-63SE as a transport into a separate DAC. To my ears the sound quality using its RCA outs is poor though using with a separate DAC is a different story altogether

I prefer using an old Marantz CD-63SE as a transport into a separate DAC. To my ears the sound quality using its RCA outs is poor though using with a separate DAC is a different story altogether

Yes, but which DAC? In my mind there`s no point of getting a 10 euro cd player if i have to spend another 200 on a dac to make it sound right. Might as well buy a 210 euro player instead.

This is more about <<dollars and sense>> than ultimate sound reproduction. My current speakers are a pair of Dali 104 worth around 60 euros, again it makes little sense to spend more money on a dac that i did with the rest of the component line.

Last edited:
For me the DAC is a Starting Point Systems DAC3, though others may prefer a more modern sounding DAC like a Topping D30

I got this Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi for $125.00 brand-new, factory sealed.

DV-79AVi_300.jpg

soundboy, at that price I would have purchased several. I have two that I picked up used. Built like a tank and after you turn everything AV related off they sound awesome.

BillWojo

Currently running a Sony DVP-s9000es, Marantz DV9600, and for old school, a Marantz CDR-615 from the 80's which in it's time was the most expensive.
Got a couple Yamaha changers with pro-bit which are quite good. They all have their own positives. Glad to live in such a wonderful time.

I did get a sony DCP-791 used for $15. I had no idea what I got but after cleaning the laser and connecting it to a vintage Tandberg Reciever I was very suprised about the clear sound. This is a really good player or what?

Attachments

• 20190512_203833.jpg
    20190512_203833.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 27
Spinning with an Esoteric DV-50, and yes, it was a true barn find. And yes, it is a 47 pound tank. And yes, it sounds incredible.

I did get a sony DCP-791 used for $15. I had no idea what I got but after cleaning the laser and connecting it to a vintage Tandberg Reciever I was very suprised about the clear sound. This is a really good player or what?

Welcome to the AK community!

Back
Top Bottom