Any Direct TV Now users?

Erik Tracy

Everyone's happy when the wizard walks by
I'm doing everything I can so I can cut the cord with Wrecktum.

Have been looking at streaming content providers and packages and Direct TV Now seems to be the best match up for our family's *must have* channels.

Looks like I'll be using a Roku Stick and connecting via wifi (this is a must - no way to hard wire all the rooms to our router).

My question is in regards to local stations.

DirectTV Now says that local stations are available in my area, but I don't see these listed in the DirectTV Now basic package.

So, do I need to specifically request/order/pay for the local stations listed in my zipcode? Or are they automatically included?

And what about CBS? Is CBS via DirectTV Now only the On Demand listings? Or is live CBS still only available in select markets?

TIA!

Why worry about compatibility? Plug all your video sources into your processor/receiver using HDMI and the problem is solved. I addition, you only need one cable from your processor/receiver to the TV.

Why worry about compatibility? Plug all your video sources into your processor/receiver using HDMI and the problem is solved. I addition, you only need one cable from your processor/receiver to the TV.
Huh?

I may have misunderstood the OP. Verizon FIOS (my current carrier) provides access to all the local OTA channels. However, the TV in my bedroom is connected to an antenna for OTA signals. IMO they look better than my Verizon FIOS connection in my listening room.

All but one of my video sources are directly plugged in to my Pre/pro. The exception being the Roku in my bedroom. I don't expect much in the way of change (picture excepted) if I go to 4K. Using HDMI connections takes compatibility out of the equation.

I may have misunderstood the OP. Verizon FIOS (my current carrier) provides access to all the local OTA channels. However, the TV in my bedroom is connected to an antenna for OTA signals. IMO they look better than my Verizon FIOS connection in my listening room.

All but one of my video sources are directly plugged in to my Pre/pro. The exception being the Roku in my bedroom. I don't expect much in the way of change (picture excepted) if I go to 4K. Using HDMI connections takes compatibility out of the equation.
Ok - understood.

I got my Roku stick the other day and have it hooked up and am streaming now - as well as exploring/experiencing what content I can get vs what I can't get.

In my setup the Roku Stick has to be wifi connected to receive streaming content from DirecTV Now (internet based - not satellite dish). The Roku stick is then connected to my AVR via HDMI.

I can't get any CBS content w/o paying for CBS All Access, and I can't get featured PBS programming, like the Masterpiece series Victoria - as that is a "Passport Member" only feed - which you must pay for.

Other than that - I'm getting most of what I currently have with Spectrum - and more, for free.

I'm going to try to use an OTA antenna for local stations I don't get from DirecTV Now, but since I live at the bottom of a canyon, I have no line of sight to any broadcasting towers. So, I don't expect much there.

I'm also going to try and stress my wifi by running simultaneous streams to laptops, iPhones, etc (we have Netflix), to see if the Roku feed starts to stall & buffer.

Speed tests at the spots the Roku will be located show I'm getting 40-50Mbps.

i am a early adopter of DirecTV Now. Happy with the service as it gives me The ESPN's TBS USA CNBC and most things I watched before when I had regular DirecTV. It has The SEC channel for coverage of the Mizzou Tigers sports. As a early adopter I get the $60 package for $35 unless I change my base service package. They gave me HBO free for a year but never watched it once. I get my ABC NBC CBS (just added recently) and FOX local affiliates although I rarely use them except for VOD. Even after a year and a half they are still have occasional growing pains. The picture quality is good through my Amazon FireTV devices. Many of the stations are true 1080p. A DVR functions still seems to allude them. Been told that it is Beta tests.

After I cut the cord I had Sling TV's base package. It was OK but lack the channels I wanted in the base package, adding them would have added $20 to my $20. Switched to DirecTV Now within a few week of it being available. IMO give it a try, there is no contract. The Amazon FireTV Stick is $40 often less, and works well with the app they provide.

Last edited:
Had DTV Now from Sept 17 to January 18. Was awesome at first, great channel selection, awesome pricing compared to overpriced Optimum cable. In December started getting buffering issues every evening around 8-9pm EST. I have two Roku 4k Ultras and two latest gen Fire sticks, issue was on both devices. The Rokus are hardwired CAT6 with over 100mbps on them, sticks are obviously wifi. Friend of mine live a few miles away had same service with Speculum internet and he was having the same buffering issues.

Contacted DTV Now live chat and got the nonsense, we are aware of the problem and working to resolve it. A month of not being able to watch TV in the evening, I cancelled DTV Now and went with PlayStation Vue. So far no issues, no buffering, and I like the guide interface much more. PlayStation also has cloud DVR service.

As far as channels I had all local NY stations on both CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, my9 on both services all live. I live just too far for OTA from NYC which would be great.

I really liked DTV Now's pricing and packages but the service was just far too glitchy. I can say I like PlayStation Vue more and will likely stick with it. So glad to see a world with more tv competition then just one cable provider or satellite.

I can't get any CBS content w/o paying for CBS All Access, and I can't get featured PBS programming, like the Masterpiece series Victoria - as that is a "Passport Member" only feed - which you must pay for.

FYI - if you have Amazon Prime, they have Victoria streaming on Prime Video

Like others, i got DTVnow last year with the special $35 pricing.

Pros: Pricing for every major channel i want including HBO (ESPN, CNBC, TNT, NBATV, CBS)
Cons: Forget trying to watch any major event during prime time without buffering/pixelation happening. It will be clear, then drop quality, back to to good, then drop.. annoying as heck.

I've tried to do the math to switch to another service, but I can't get the main channels I want/have without paying double. So i'm a slave to the grandfathered deal.

CloudDVR doesn't mean much to me, with DTVnow, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, there's not a lot of VOD I can't watch with this combo

Back
Top Bottom