Hello to all and first project!

…The radio sort of works, may just be antenna issues..
In the picture you took the antenna was disconnected. A good antenna, properly connected, will make a world of difference. Try connecting an antenna and see what results you get.

Have you tried the AUX inputs? If you have a CD player or MP3 player, try connecting them to the AUX inputs. If you get good sound, that would tell you the amplifiers are good.

I second what tcdriver said. I would start by seeing what I could do to get sound out of the existing electronics.

If you could get it up and running properly, it would be a "feather" in your cap along the road to more fun with this hobby.

I also think having a low-fi piece is of high value for background listening. Most of us have a place we would like to produce sound (music) that doesn't require much as fr as high fidelity. Having a piece that was "restored" as one of your own projects might make it special enough.

Just being creative enough to add some streaming capability like blue-tooth might be the ticket. And inexpensive.

This is starting to make more sense.
Tomorrow I'll work on this more. I'll reconnect the antenna, test the speakers and tryout that input, if I can find a set of RCA wires. And clean it. I'll look into that thread someone posted about that cleaner, too.

Maybe all is not lost after all...
What would be a good way to find out why the turn table spins a bit too fast?

Slap a phat track of black wax in there and give it a listen - or get yourself a non-contact tachometer and a sticker to put on the platen, and point the business end at the sticker.

tenor.gif

Welcome to AK! Looks like a fun project.

What would be a good way to find out why the turn table spins a bit too fast?
The record player in your unit is capable of playing 78 rpm records. Make sure the speed selector is set to 33 for LP records or 45 for 45 rpm records. If the selector is set to 33 and you are getting a faster speed, it probably means that the speed selector mechanism needs cleaning and lubrication.

Since this kind of looks cool, I would remove all the speakers and wiring, remove all the insides of the receiver chassis and build in its place modern
circuitry while using the old face and knobs. Then buy modern speakers and install them where the old ones reside. It would still look cool and sound great.

Since this kind of looks cool, I would remove all the speakers and wiring, remove all the insides of the receiver chassis and build in its place modern
circuitry while using the old face and knobs. Then buy modern speakers and install them where the old ones reside. It would still look cool and sound great.

Man. I can't even tell you how much I would like to do that. I don't know enough about electronics to re-use the faceplate though.
That's why I was thinking of making my own faceplate out of wood or thin metal.

Let’s assume you want everything inside the console. If you redo the placement you, I think, could set in a modern AM/FM/ Bluetooth receiver and a DVD/CD player lined up horizontally, facing up.It looks like late model automobile speakers could fit, and they could sound pretty good. That is a possibility.

Let’s assume you want everything inside the console. If you redo the placement you, I think, could set in a modern AM/FM/ Bluetooth receiver and a DVD/CD player lined up horizontally, facing up.It looks like late model automobile speakers could fit, and they could sound pretty good. That is a possibility.

I've found that almost all of the modern receiver faceplates are at least 16".
I've only got 13" to work with because of the width of the console...

Dear Mr. DB Cooper:
I love your energy and drive in restoring old audio products. I understand that the FBI has recently stopped looking for you after your escape from that Boeing 727 airliner while in flight in 1971. I guess all that ransom money finally ran out. Restoring vintage audio equipment maybe less lucrative, but probably a much safer way turning a dime. (welcome) :D :music:

Back
Top Bottom