Lets see some 100% crops!

mhedges

It seems like the 100% crop is a common test of digital camera performance. So lets see some! Post the original, then the crop, and give whatever equipment details you can. To prevent the forum software from messing things up the cropped picture shouldn't be any bigger than 800x600.

I'll go first. Head from an old industrial scale, Nikon D5500, SB600 flash, f/7.1, 60 seconds, ISO 400, 18-55mm VRII kit lens

scale small.jpg

scale cropped.jpg

It was 4592x3056. The crop is the far right part of the horizon.

After uploading it last night, I realized it may not be the best representation, as that is the edited version. I should pull one right from the RAW file prior to editing when I get home later. I also have to get the camera info for this shot and update the post. (Sony α33 with either the 17-35mm or 24-105mm lens. Probably the former, which was the Sigma I had all the problems with.)

That is somewhere in Utah. I forget where, exactly, but there scenic turn-offs from I-70 and this was one of a handful I stopped at on my way from Moab to Zion back in October.

Yes it was I-70, westbound, but I can't be sure which one. Beautiful country out there, but boy was it HOT.
I stopped at four scenic turnouts, traveling from Moab to La Verkin. But this was early October so while the temperatures were OK, I ran through showers on and off in Utah until I got to La Verkin, which is close to Zion. I also drove it in August but like you say, it was hot, and we were running a bit behind schedule so I drove non-stop. Aside from Utah, I really enjoyed that I-70 drive from Denver to Grand Junction--I hadn't gone that way in decades, so I'd forgotten the scenery along the way. That whole stretch from I-25 to I-15 is one of the most incredible stretch of Interstate highways I've ever driven on.

I had last been out that way back in '92 when I drove from Denver to LA, leaving Denver at 12 noon. Didn't get to see much of anything out near Moab since it was dark. I wanted to stop at Moab back in '15 when that picture was taken, but it was 105* outside and I didn't want to hike around the countryside when it was that hot. My favorite part of I-70 is where it follows the Colorado River near Glenwood Springs. That road along the canyon is so pretty with the green trees and the occasional train. It's nice with the windows down, sunroof open and some good tunes playing on the CD.

That's what I was trying to remember--Glenwood Springs. That's where I-70 is tiered. I read up on it--that was an amazing bit of engineering they did through that canyon. It's one of those instances where I wish I had a few cameras mounted in the car that I could trigger as I was driving.

upload_2018-2-15_12-36-35.png

@mhedges We'll post more 100% crops shortly. We got diverted a bit. :D

So here's one I took down at the Huntington Beach pier a couple days ago.
Sony A7ii w/Nikkor 50mm 1.2, 1/500 ISO 100, sorry, I don't know what the aperture was.
DSC02733 (Custom).JPG
DSC02733-1 (Custom).jpg
Needless to say it was a very hazy day as we were having an inversion layer episode.

@Old Ears too Here is what you missed near Moab. ;) Delicate Arch, at Arches National Park. 1/100, f9, ISO 200, 20mm, 14MP (4592x3056). Unretouched--everything looks drab due to it being a somewhat dark overcast day. Photoshop does wonders... ;)

delicate-arch-2.jpg

delicate-arch-2-100%crop.jpg

Helen Hunt Falls, near Colorado Springs, CO. 1/100s, f4.5, 24-105mm@24mm, ISO400, 14MP (same as above). Unretouched.

helenhuntfalls1.jpg

helenhuntfalls1-100%crop.jpg

D5500, 18-55 kit lens, f/13, ISO 400, 1 second exposure on tripod. Hand lit with a flashlight. Crop is from the upper right corner.

bobbins small.jpg

bobbins cropped.jpg

Back
Top Bottom