What I learned on Craigslist

That's because the seller knows that people only read the first sentence. When they complain, he can clearly point out that there was full disclosure. :D

Ok, not Craigslist, but a local auction....... I literally laughed out loud when I saw it..."Solid State 14-Speed Blender"
It's an old Sears blender and actually does say "solid state" on it. I wonder if there's a forum out there some place for vacuum tube blenders???

So... there's no motor? Maybe it's like those laboratory stirrers where the magnetic pill thing spins w/o direct contact.... :/

Today I learned that Nikko equipment is no longer undervalued! And fully cleaned, refurbished and brought back to original specs apparently doesn't included bulbs.

Audiophile Nikko STA-9010 AM/FM Stereo Receiver (Fully Refurbished) - $1500

00a0a_b3Wjnmm493z_600x450.jpg

"Fully cleaned and brought back to original specifications. Analog Stereo is AM/FM. ..."

https://orlando.craigslist.org/ele/d/audiophile-nikko-sta-9010-am/6489091318.html

not mine, no affiliation.

That thing's gorgeous though. But they'll have trouble getting $225 for it without a speaker. Any collector worth their spindly legs could find a correct replacement though. I would.

That thing's gorgeous though. But they'll have trouble getting $225 for it without a speaker. Any collector worth their spindly legs could find a correct replacement though. I would.

I agree, that cabinet is in great shape for its age... question is, do the electronics work? Wouldn't even know where to start on testing it...

I buy a lot of non-audio stuff on CL. But it is only when trying to buy audio stuff do I find sellers so clueless. They have no idea when and where they want to meet to sell.

When I respond to an ad, I always ID the part of town I am, give a range of hours I am available, and give my phone number. I then ask the seller when and where they want to meet.

I am currently trying to buy a pair of Epicure speakers for $50. After several messages back and forth, I got a reply from the seller today at 3am that I can pickup before he goes to work today. Huh? Of course I did not see the message until mid-morning. And the message still did not give a location. I responded and he replied at noon that I can pick up when he has lunch. Huh? What time does he have lunch and where does he work?

This happens way too often. Idiots.

CL used to be my go-to site for local buying/ selling, but things have started to go downhill on that site. I don't know whether it's the vast number of scams, idiots posting stuff they have no clue about, or whatever, but I hardly ever find anything of decent value on there in my area anymore. I've started looking on facebook marketplace, and in the past 3 weeks I've found a working BIC 40z stacker turntable for $10, a Sony STR-DA4ES receiver in original box with all literature & remote for $100, and a pair of ADS L-1290s for $300. Posted about all of them here.

I buy a lot of non-audio stuff on CL. But it is only when trying to buy audio stuff do I find sellers so clueless. They have no idea when and where they want to meet to sell.

When I respond to an ad, I always ID the part of town I am, give a range of hours I am available, and give my phone number. I then ask the seller when and where they want to meet.

I am currently trying to buy a pair of Epicure speakers for $50. After several messages back and forth, I got a reply from the seller today at 3am that I can pickup before he goes to work today. Huh? Of course I did not see the message until mid-morning. And the message still did not give a location. I responded and he replied at noon that I can pick up when he has lunch. Huh? What time does he have lunch and where does he work?

This happens way too often. Idiots.

This kind of BS is the main reason I missed out on a pair of ADS L-1590s a few hours away a couple years ago. Poster was apparently listing stuff out of some old lady's house who was moving. I called and talked to him for a few minutes about the 1590s I saw listed and asked if I could come pick them up Saturday, my day off, since they were a few hours away. His response was that he had someone coming in from across country to buy some other stuff on Thursday, and basically demanded that I take a day off work and drive up there at the same time so they could move everything out at once. I was like, "Huh?? You're dictating when I need to be there based on when someone else will be there?" Now I wish I had just taken the day off and driven up there anyway, but still...

This kind of BS is the main reason I missed out...

Reminds me of something that happened to me several years ago. I think it was on "Freecycle", which may indicate how long ago this was. The ad was for a radial arm saw, for some low amount of money, but explained that the seller worked 3rd shift and to please not call until after a certain time (Maybe it was 3pm?). I waited until that time, and called. Already gone... well crap. I said something to the effect of that sure was fast it's just after the time. I get... Oh we sold it a few hours ago. That still irritates me..... because I followed their instructions on not waking up a 3rd shifter, I missed out.

Then there was the guy giving away an Altec Lansing cabinet. The ad was a few days old, or maybe a week. I call the guy, "oh no that's long gone, I burned it that night"...."had to get rid of it, if you know what I mean" "Ok, thanks", but internally, no I don't know what you mean, why would you put something on Craigslist for only 3 hours, burn it, and then not even take the ad down???

I agree, that cabinet is in great shape for its age... question is, do the electronics work? Wouldn't even know where to start on testing it...

First of all, never plug in one of these things unless it's into a dim bulb tester or a Variac. There are methods for old tube electronics. Actually the thing won't work without the field coil speaker because the field coil is part of the B+ filter circuit.

Replacement speaker? Nah, at this point ...

9ddc95809a4c9408243d23ab141261be.jpg

You sir are a very terrible person! Kidding. Mostly. :p :whip:

I had one that was actually a type setting machine. It looked much a regular Selectric, but with extra buttons off to the side. I sold it to a collector (I think) in Canada, probably 10 to 15 years ago. I think I got $80-ish for it.

If a Selectric would connect to a computer and be used as a printer, I'd do it...... I think there were some that were made that way, unless I'm thinking of the Wheelwriter.

I had one that was actually a type setting machine. It looked much a regular Selectric, but with extra buttons off to the side. I sold it to a collector (I think) in Canada, probably 10 to 15 years ago. I think I got $80-ish for it.

If a Selectric would connect to a computer and be used as a printer, I'd do it...... I think there were some that were made that way, unless I'm thinking of the Wheelwriter.

I remember something about those back then, the Selectric Composer perhaps? We used to typeset in the 60's & early 70's in our family owned business with a Selectric II and paste up jobs for offset printing & rubber stamps. Before that it was all done by handset type or Ludlow type casting. Then I bought a Varityper Photosetter in the early 80's. These days I'm still in the graphic arts field typesetting with my Mac & Pc's.

http://munk.org/typecast/2015/12/01/kyles-ibm-selectric-composer-an-heroic-tale-of-desire-fulfilled/

Back
Top Bottom