1950's President found

vendo81

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well I picked this President up today. I was visiting a friend and he mentioned that he saw it yesterday in a local antique store. It had just been moved in shortly before he was there. I think it's late 1950's, maybe 1958? Has slide down door that hides all the components and 2 EL37 mono blocks in the rear. Cabinet is really nice but dirty. Face and metal work is very nice. Even has a clock! Missing the side door/speaker cover pulls as there are holes there now. Here's a phone photo. I'll get more photos when I pull it out of my SUV. It's very heavy!

1958 fisher console.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. Got the legs and bottom trim piece off so I could safely put it on a dolly. Here's the rear. Amplifiers say 80z on them. The EL37's still test strong! The other tubes, including 6V4's are labeled "The Fisher" so must be original. You can see the Fisher loop AM antenna I had removed leaning up against the cabinet. Has Presence and brilliance knobs on the rear.

58 fisher rear.jpg
58 fisher rear 2.jpg

Last edited:
Well I picked this President up today. I was visiting a friend and he mentioned that he saw it yesterday at a cheap price in a local antique store. It had just been moved in shortly before he was there. I think it's late 1950's, maybe 1958? Has slide down door that hides all the components and 2 EL37 mono blocks in the rear. Cabinet is really nice but dirty. Face and metal work is very nice. Even has a clock! Missing the side door/speaker cover pulls as there are holes there now. Here's a phone photo. I'll get more photos when I pull it out of my SUV. It's very heavy!

View attachment 1115238

You are the Fisher Finding King !
It is gorgeous !

Well I picked this President up today. I was visiting a friend and he mentioned that he saw it yesterday at a cheap price in a local antique store. It had just been moved in shortly before he was there. I think it's late 1950's, maybe 1958? Has slide down door that hides all the components and 2 EL37 mono blocks in the rear. Cabinet is really nice but dirty. Face and metal work is very nice. Even has a clock! Missing the side door/speaker cover pulls as there are holes there now. Here's a phone photo. I'll get more photos when I pull it out of my SUV. It's very heavy!

View attachment 1115238
You must open up those speakers to see if they are Electovoice or Jensen

I have no idea. I'll have to take a look. At least they have matching knobs :) I left all of the original paper work at my friends house. Maybe something is written there.

I'm going to copy n paste an 8 year old post from a guy that posted on AK about his uncles 1956 (?) president from this thread :

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...onsoles-1959-1965.146667/page-21#post-4183104

Fisher President II, Transition to Stereo 1956

Hi,

I have information and all the components for a 1956 Fisher President II. I inherited it from my uncle. As for price, my mother told me she remembered it costing her brother around $3,000. in 1956. He knew Avery Fisher, was a big Opera fan, and taped live operas, a few of which I have.

It was exactly at the transition to Stereo. Tape was stereo in 1956. Records were stereo in 1958. FM stereo was via a few experimental broadcast methods in 1956.

It had a pair of fisher 30 watt mono blocks, Mullard EL37s. I use EL-34s now, enough power for me. I will try some 6L6s soon. I am still listening to them every day, they sound awesome. I replaced some capacitors recently.

The speakers were 4 way, all electrovoice drivers, 16 ohms.
15" woofer (15B or 15W, I forget. Woofer weighs 37lbs, 7" thick magnet, chrome spider)
compound diffraction horn, (actually 2 coaxial mountet horns, 1 driver)
horn tweeter, brilliance and presence crossover controls on the back.
I had custom rosewood cabinets made, and listen to them every day. Had the woofers re-coned in NYC years ago, and had electrovoice rebuild a burnt tweeter when they were still in business, as well as a spare pair in case.

The original Viking 75 tape deck was 1/4 " tape, 2 track stereo. It had a switch for either in-line or staggered stereo tapes, and two playback heads. I listened to the 2 track stereo tapes I also inherited and bought at garage sales way back. I cannot describe how great a wide 2 track tape sounds. I need a hard to find drive belt (fabric). If there is anyone who can help me get a belt for it, that would be stupendous.
The Garard changer was mono originally, but Fisher technicians came to my uncles house and added a pair of phono preamps, a new stereo cartridge, and a deck mounted switch for mono or stereo.

Separate Fisher tuners for fm and am, mounted either side of the center control panel. Live binaural stereo broadcasts were being done then. Select FM, tune in WCBS fm for left side of the stage, Select AM, tune in WCBS am for the live right side of the stage. Select Stereo, listen to live stereo. System did not last long.

All the various equalization curves for tape and records were individually selectable in the control panel.

I have all the original manuals for the components, cut sheets of the electrovoice drivers, and the operating instructions from Fisher. (individually typed and assembled in a 3 punch binder).

Let me know if you want any more info.

Elliott

I'm going to copy n paste an 8 year old post from a guy that posted on AK about his uncles 1956 (?) president from this thread :

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...onsoles-1959-1965.146667/page-21#post-4183104

Fisher President II, Transition to Stereo 1956

Hi,

I have information and all the components for a 1956 Fisher President II. I inherited it from my uncle. As for price, my mother told me she remembered it costing her brother around $3,000. in 1956. He knew Avery Fisher, was a big Opera fan, and taped live operas, a few of which I have.

It was exactly at the transition to Stereo. Tape was stereo in 1956. Records were stereo in 1958. FM stereo was via a few experimental broadcast methods in 1956.

It had a pair of fisher 30 watt mono blocks, Mullard EL37s. I use EL-34s now, enough power for me. I will try some 6L6s soon. I am still listening to them every day, they sound awesome. I replaced some capacitors recently.

The speakers were 4 way, all electrovoice drivers, 16 ohms.
15" woofer (15B or 15W, I forget. Woofer weighs 37lbs, 7" thick magnet, chrome spider)
compound diffraction horn, (actually 2 coaxial mountet horns, 1 driver)
horn tweeter, brilliance and presence crossover controls on the back.
I had custom rosewood cabinets made, and listen to them every day. Had the woofers re-coned in NYC years ago, and had electrovoice rebuild a burnt tweeter when they were still in business, as well as a spare pair in case.

The original Viking 75 tape deck was 1/4 " tape, 2 track stereo. It had a switch for either in-line or staggered stereo tapes, and two playback heads. I listened to the 2 track stereo tapes I also inherited and bought at garage sales way back. I cannot describe how great a wide 2 track tape sounds. I need a hard to find drive belt (fabric). If there is anyone who can help me get a belt for it, that would be stupendous.
The Garard changer was mono originally, but Fisher technicians came to my uncles house and added a pair of phono preamps, a new stereo cartridge, and a deck mounted switch for mono o

Very interesting. Looks like the wiring from the extra knobs go underneath into the phono and reel to reel section so they must be for stereo use. One looks like a complex switching network. I'll remove that panel tomorrow when I get time.

Yes I removed the back in the antique store and the speakers are electrovoice. The woofer looks to be 30 to 40 pounds! Woofer is bottom firing. Has a large horn in center front and smaller one on top. Nice speakers!

Last edited:
Very interesting. Looks like the wiring from the extra knobs go underneath into the phono and reel to reel section so they must be for stereo use. One looks like a complex switching network. I'll remove that panel tomorrow when I get time.

Yes I removed the back in the antique store and the speakers are electrovoice. The woofer looks to be 30 to 40 pounds! Woofer is bottom firing. Has a large horn in center front and smaller one on top. Nice speakers!

Killer !

I hope you can find all the pieces ( or have them made ) to bring this sucker back to glory !

Back
Top Bottom