McIntosh C504 + MC502 vs MA6200

travellersol

Currently there are these two used sets available in my place, and their prices are almost the same. I'd like to know the differences in them:

McIntosh C504 pre amp & MC502 power amp
vs
McIntosh MA6200 Integrated Amplifier

I intend to drive Spendor SP1/2, JBL L110, and Klipsch KG4 with one of these McIntosh amps. Main music types to play are vocal, jazz, classical, and some pop/rock. Currently am using Sansui 7070 and Marantz 1060-nothing wrong with them, just want to try McIntosh as I have never tried them before. Is McIntosh definitely better than them?

The MC502 is basically 1/2 the amp section of the MA6200, one pair of output devices vs. two pair. The 504 preamp has the same switching as the MA6200, FET switching came later, if I remember correctly, with 2 less tone controls.

Currently there are these two used sets available in my place, and their prices are almost the same. I'd like to know the differences in them:

McIntosh C504 pre amp & MC502 power amp
vs
McIntosh MA6200 Integrated Amplifier

They’re from the same vintage and contain much of the same technology. The separates give you more upgrade flexibility, of course, while the MA6200 is slightly more compact and adds two more equalizer bands.

I have an MC502 paired with an MX117 (same preamp section as C504). I find the sound quality superb with that combination.

Really can't go wrong with either. MA6200 offers around 50% additional output power, plus the 2 extra EQ controls as mentioned and is likely to be bit less expensive than the C504/MC502 combination.

If @jlovda is correct, FET input switching is an extra refinement of the C504.

None of the mentioned Mac units in this post have output meters. While the McIntosh MC2505 had meters the MC502 did not.

McIntosh integrated amps did not receive meters until the late 90's.

Just before I could make a decision, there is an MC-2205 pop up, selling at only 10% more than the MA6200. This one has two big blue meters, and is rated 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (stereo), just that it is a power amp not integrated.......

Just before I could make a decision, there is an MC-2205 pop up, selling at only 10% more than the MA6200. This one has two big blue meters, and is rated 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms (stereo), just that it is a power amp not integrated.......

May as well move in that direction as it wouldn't be long before "meter envy" sets in. Ask me how I know...:rolleyes:

wondering if I take the 2205, can I use my Marantz 1060 as the pre-amp? Would this work, and would it be a good combo?

You will like the 2205! It makes most speakers sound great! Effortless power, and those beautiful meters! I also have a MA-6200 being restored and optimized by leestereo. It will be my backup Amp/Preamp if one or the other ever need servicing. It’s eventual home will be in a late 50s teak console in the yet to be renovated bedroom. I can’t say how the Marantz 1060 would sound as a preamp. Never tried that with any of the Marantz gear I’ve played around with.

Back
Top Bottom