Vintage Sony Turntables

The x-2 is a successor to the x-7 and is reportedly as good. Uses the same tonearm as the x-6.
Had an issue with the X2's mechanicals so the seller shipped me an X6 and told me to keep the x2. I am surprised to see what robust mechanicals grace the x2. I have three options for rectifying it but wont get to it until Saturrday. It should be relatively easy even in a worst case scenario, just time consuming.

Comparing to the repair manual for the x6, they seem to be identical up to the electrically actuated start/stop and repeat functions on the x6; looks to be the same geometries, parts, etc.

The x2 DOES NOT have a way to adjust the tone arm height fwiw. I would love it if I were wrong here but seemingly all of the Sony TTs of this design architecture have thebadjusting hex screw in the same place and the X2 simply does not have it. Also, in the hole where withers should be a screw for adjusting the cueing drop speed, there is nada. I am going to horoscope that hole in Saturday before i get to executing the repair

I put an AT VM540ML on the x2 And man, it is crazy good. I would give it an arbitrary 80% of clinical resolving of my DAC when A/Bing concurrently playing tracks in a modest run of about 2 dozen or so. The natural wave form is just that and I have sorely missed it.

Overall I am pretty impressed and very pleased. Hopefully, total satisfaction comes Saturday morning.

I own a PS-X700. It's not a very common Sony TT . In fact outside of one other AK member, I haven't come across one although I'm sure they are out there. The only thing harder to find than the table itself is the SH-156 headshell. Unless you want to pay the $180 ransom that is being asked by the what seems like the only seller who has one for sale. The headshell sold with and wiithout a finger lift. the 800 didnt' need it . The 700 may have had but I can't verify it for sure. some photos show the liift, some don't - but it's a nice table.

as noted on vintage knob, it's the last incarnation of the PS-X75 and one of the last biotracer units that Sony made.

I was looking for an X700 for quite a while but ended up buying an X75. the X75s are much more common. Have tried many but not all of the sony tables.
X600 with a LOMC is a sleeper, have tried the PSX6 and X7 models.

On most of them, sure helps to remove/clean the original grease used by the factory and relube the arm movements.

Of the models I have tried, would have to say the X75 is my favorite, with either a Madrigal Carnegie One or Benz LP Ebony MC cart mounted in the arm.

The Madrigal Carnegie is a sweet match with the 75. Have not tried any of the Sony MC carts, but have heard good things about them.

What were your thoughts on the x6 and the x7, mcgjohn?

Kind of curious since I have one on the way to make up for the servicing I am going to have to perform on the x2 I have.

I just don't even know where to start with your cartridge suggestions... don't get me wrong, I love the analog now I am back in the game. I had to give up on both a Yamaha px2 and px3 as part started getting really unobtanium and they only got continually more temperamental as time went on. I concentrated on the rest of my system and saved up for a DAC for my sanity's sake. For my ear and brain combo, my decently competent digital end of business has more resolution, nuance, etc than I figure any reasonable person would attempt to attain from analog without an 8 figure net worth... I guess where I am going with this is could the x75 be so well executed that it's worth of a four figure cart?

What were your thoughts on the x6 and the x7, mcgjohn?

Kind of curious since I have one on the way to make up for the servicing I am going to have to perform on the x2 I have.

I just don't even know where to start with your cartridge suggestions... don't get me wrong, I love the analog now I am back in the game. I had to give up on both a Yamaha px2 and px3 as part started getting really unobtanium and they only got continually more temperamental as time went on. I concentrated on the rest of my system and saved up for a DAC for my sanity's sake. For my ear and brain combo, my decently competent digital end of business has more resolution, nuance, etc than I figure any reasonable person would attempt to attain from analog without an 8 figure net worth... I guess where I am going with this is could the x75 be so well executed that it's worth of a four figure cart?

X6 and X7 were very close. To be honest, if I was blind folded not sure I could tell the difference. But with the other sony tables, defin

X6 and X7 were very close. To be honest, if I was blind folded not sure I could tell the difference. But with the other sony tables, defin

here is the full text......

X6 and X7 were very close. To be honest, if I was blind folded not sure I could tell the difference. Need to keep in mind the X5, X6 and x7 were nearly the same table with the X7 getting the better platter matt, and the graphite dampened arm and headshell.

But with the other sony tables, definate steps up in some of the models vs. the others. While the X600 is really good, the X75 is a significant or noticeable improvement. Same with X75 over the X65. X65 is really good, but the 75 does edge it out.

Need to state all of my 'table comparison testing was done with LOMC carts, so do not know if the same would hold true if MM carts were used. And should also mention if you are using the stock headshell leads, toss them out as fast as you can, and get some litz leads; huge improvement in imaging and sound staging.

I've got a TTS-4000 in my possession. Mating it with an AT1005ii arm to start in a custom plinth. Build thread to come. I love the all business looks and the physical presence it has. Can't wait to hear it.

I've got a TTS-4000 in my possession

Not a very common table and yes it does have a certain "take no prisoners" look to it.
Interestingly the Sony info sheet of the TTS-2250 shared space with a picture or two
and a few details I think of its bigger brother the TTS-4000.

Do you have any literature etc on your TTS-4000?

PS-X9: www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X9.html

TTS-8000 another one: www.thevintageknob.org/sony-TTS-8000.html

For something less exotic, try a PS-X7 (touch-sense controls, carbon tonearm, direct drive, automatic) http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X7.html

or maybe the older PS-8750 which is sexy as hell: www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-8750.html

PS-X800 is their TOTL linear tracker: http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PS-X800.html

John

I wouldn't have said it any way different, being a happy owner of a TSS-8000 in a TB-1000 plinth, and PUA-1500 + 1600 tonearms (yet to install)

And the ultimate engineering novel PS-B80
Quite modest looking, but the engineering behind it is flabbergasting

Not a very common table and yes it does have a certain "take no prisoners" look to it.
Interestingly the Sony info sheet of the TTS-2250 shared space with a picture or two
and a few details I think of its bigger brother the TTS-4000.

Do you have any literature etc on your TTS-4000?

I don't just the service manual that's up on VE. I actually purchased it from another AK member who'd had it in storage for years. It needs a new speed pot but other than that seems to be in remarkably good shape. I love the look as mentioned. What sealed the deal for me were some of the positive comments made about the PS-2250/2251 here and on Lenco Heaven. I figured if that model got the kind of praise I was reading there was no way it's big brother would disappoint.

About the only person here I've found who has any good history on the model is @KentTeffeteller who in PMs informed me that it sold for something like $700 at release in 1970 and that it was Sony's statement model at the time. :eek2:

I'm sure he'd be glad to relay his knowledge on the table in this thread as well.

I wanted something saucer like that I could build a plinth for and I wasn't super keen on the aesthetics of the demons or the potential reliability issues of the Victor's. I liked the elegant tech throttled induction drive system as well. 1 IC in the whole works.

If I ever see some ad copy or product brochures for it on eBay for a decent price I'll be sure to grab them and upload a scan for you guys.

Long term I want to put a PUA-1600 on it along with a second loo mass arm for high compliance carts.

Cheers
Nathan

Last edited:
I don't know about best, but the PS-FL1 is certainly a bit of a sleeper.

sony_drawer_turntable.jpg

It is a platter in a drawer, with a servo-lock drive, fully automatic table that truly holds its own. Mine has its home in my rack that has no top available for a table. The drawer really fits the bill. Mine is currently sporting a Shure V15-III, with a JICO original SAS stylus.

Enjoy,
Rich P

If I ever see some ad copy or product brochures for it on eBay for a decent price I'll be sure to grab them and upload a scan for you guys.

I recall posting a simple photo of the sheet I have in the thread of your likely AK seller.

Wasn't able to find a thread of his on this table. I inquired after it based on a single comment he made mentioning he had one in another user's thread.

For some reason the link short circuits the AK html, but I going the audio-heritage.jp page for the tts-4000 and it's easily the best one for info on this table that I've found.

I noticed the bearing is to be lubricated with the same oil as the TTS-2250, of which the upper portion of spindle unscrews
and oil is then applied.

I noticed the bearing is to be lubricated with the same oil as the TTS-2250, of which the upper portion of spindle unscrews
and oil is then applied.

For reference, I looked up Sony's OL-2K oil spec and the zoom turbine oil is an exact match.

Does the spindle on the 2250 unscrew in the same manner as the 4000? It's kind of an ingenious design. Low probability of getting oil where it doesn't belong.

Does the spindle on the 2250 unscrew in the same manner as the 4000?

I assumed yours would be the same so yes it does. My TTS-2250 came with the OL-2K oil and
the plinth cutout template w/multi voltage transformer as it was sold as the bare drive version.

I recently found a $30 Sony PS-LX410. It was pretty clean but needed a stylus for the Sony VL-45G. It seems to run fine, sounds great (to my aging ears) and has a place of honor in my system. Any views on this TT?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom