What's your latest audio purchase?

Mostly accessories.
Dust cover for my AR XA
A wood cabinet for my C22 CE (this still inbound)
A stylus for my pickering XV 15
and a Schiit Bifrost MB (this still inbound)

Kenwood KR 6400. Almost perfect shape! Lights work, all the meters are correct and the tuning light on the FM glows red as it should. The face plate and wood sides no chips or scratches. Pulls radio stations right on point. 45 watts per channel hooked to my computer. 24.00 dollars at GW. First things like this at GW for quite some time. They had just set it out.

I picked up a pair of Polk S4 speakers off of OfferUp for $20. They will be replacing the Minimus 7 in my home gym.

The Polk S-4 is the smallest of the Polk S Series speakers from the early 90s. A sticker on the crossover says they were manufactured in August 1992. It has a 1 inch silk dome tweeter and 6-1/2 inch poly woofer with a front port. The weak spot is the plastic bezel attached to the baffle. The plastic is screwed to the baffle and has a recess for the grill to fit into. To get access to the drivers, the grill frame with cloth has to be pried away from the plastic bezel. Many pull on the plastic bezel thinking it is removable. It is not. The plastic has broken apart on one of my speakers where it was pulled away from the baffle.

They sound pretty good for small bookshelf speakers. The original MSRP was $259 per pair according to one article I found.

Guy had a vintage system of Magnepan mg 1.4 ( refurbed by Magnepan 5 years ago) a Sunfire symphonic amp, a Legacy high current pre and a California labs icon mk2 cd - all pretty cheap - picked up yesterday - found out why so cheap - hooked up when I got home and sounded muffled -wth - got home from work today and investigated - magnepans tweeter fuses were both blown - put in new fuses and they sound like new - everything else works great except remote to pre - sanded battery contacts and that works now also......image.jpg

Hey
Marantz 8b. It played for about 1 hour then went on the Fritz. It's in the shop now ,my tech called and said he can't find much wrong with it to cause the loud ass noise that it started making. So he's replacing the selenium rectifier and a few caps that don't check out.
I should have it back early next week.
Ain't vintage tube amps great.:whip:
20180118_103537.jpg

Hey
Marantz 8b. It played for about 1 hour then went on the Fritz. It's in the shop now ,my tech called and said he can't find much wrong with it to cause the loud ass noise that it started making. So he's replacing the selenium rectifier and a few caps that don't check out.
I should have it back early next week.
Ain't vintage tube amps great.:whip:
View attachment 1115998
Selenium rectifiers should be replaced anyway. Does it still make the noise when you put it down flat?

Hey
Oh, ok. I might have had a few last night.:rflmao:
It's the only picture I have. It acted up so soon after I got it. Eric

Found this Polaroid PBT3032 "retro" bluetooth speaker at Big Lots. For $25 I couldn't resist trying it out.

Despite the low price, I'm a little disappointed about the fit & finish. The grill "cloth" is actually woven plastic strands and sags a little in the middle. The toggle switch has a nice assertive click on/off but the volume pot turns rough and is slightly crooked. The top plate has two small LEDs, red for power and blue for bluetooth. Unfortunately the AUX port is also on top, rather than hidden on the back with the USB charging connection.

The sound is decent though, plenty loud for working in the garage or hanging out on the patio. It is ported in the back, and sounds to me like there is some "loudness" or bass boost going on with no switch to toggle it. Bluetooth connection has been good so far, only dropping out once or twice in a couple hours but this seems pretty typical in my experience with bluetooth devices.

I feel like it's a solid deal for $25. I'm debating trying to mod it with some real fabric grill cloth...though I suspect it's mostly glue holding the unit together.

Wurtnlw.jpg

3QQykzp.jpg

169fO8d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom