SMSL M8A (massdrop) or Schiit Bifrost (used)

Which would you go with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Antiwork

I had about 90% talked myself into getting in on the MassDrop SMSL M8A, but then noticed this morning that its possible to pick up a used Schiit Bifrost (first revision I'd imagine) for right around $200. I'm a good bit more familiar with analog equipment so I'm feeling a little bit out of my depth here, which would you go with and why?

I am still very :dunno: with the SMSL I just got on the last drop, but it is probably just me not liking the sound as I can see where some would like it. Only Schitt thats been in my ears is my Fulla which is pretty nice for what I use it for. Haven’t heard a Biofrost.

What Louis said! I actually prefer using my Fulla or Aune from same source to same system, I played with the filters and USB vs Optical most of the day Saturday since it was raining it’s ass off. Not digging it, sounds to processed to me. But I will run it for another week or so and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Just rolled some tubes in my pre line stage, seems better IMO, or am I just getting use to it? :idea:

Lots of interesting measurements of DAC's here : https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?articles/

At least in the case of the D30, Good measurements translate in to a well performing unit.
I have one and like it a lot. Does DSD but not MQA.

I use mine for mostly streaming Tidal 24/96 (limit due to no MQA unfolding in hardware) and Spotify and internet radio.

DAC's have come a really long way as far as price and performance goes, But it still pays off to do some reading.

Eric

Lots of interesting measurements of DAC's here : https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?articles/

At least in the case of the D30, Good measurements translate in to a well performing unit.
I have one and like it a lot. Does DSD but not MQA.

I use mine for mostly streaming Tidal 24/96 (limit due to no MQA unfolding in hardware) and Spotify and internet radio.

DAC's have come a really long way as far as price and performance goes, But it still pays off to do some reading.
Eric

The guy writing the review, seems very knowledgeable and comes across as honest. I think he mentions his company bought out ( and he was instrumental in buying one of the companies that makes one of the DACs in the reviews).
That doesn't make any of his findings untrue , maybe just makes you pause and wonder.
I'd be interested to see a schiit response . While I've seen people prefer other products , I don't think I've seen anyone find them faulty. It seems Amir has issue with all of their products. That seems odd (coming from a competitor) .
Reading schiit a copy (which doesn't necessarily make it true) I think the Yiggy has three supplies and should be quiet from a PS point of view.
Also they (schiit) post specs., which clearly Amir is saying it doesn't meet.
I own none of these. Though perhaps someday I might . Unless you own the test gear (and know how to use it) I tend to doubt you can prove (disprove) the claims.
I guess what it boils down to you have to keep an an open skeptical mind (if that makes any sense. I would like to see a follow up on that though:idea::lurk:

Some folks prefer the Modi MB to the original BiIfrost. All I know is that I bought a Schiit Modi MB and then a Topping D30 and if I could do it over again I would only buy the D30. It's that good.

Last edited:
The guy writing the review, seems very knowledgeable and comes across as honest. I think he mentions his company bought out ( and he was instrumental in buying one of the companies that makes one of the DACs in the reviews).
That doesn't make any of his findings untrue , maybe just makes you pause and wonder.
I'd be interested to see a schiit response . While I've seen people prefer other products , I don't think I've seen anyone find them faulty. It seems Amir has issue with all of their products. That seems odd (coming from a competitor) .
Reading schiit a copy (which doesn't necessarily make it true) I think the Yiggy has three supplies and should be quiet from a PS point of view.
Also they (schiit) post specs., which clearly Amir is saying it doesn't meet.
I own none of these. Though perhaps someday I might . Unless you own the test gear (and know how to use it) I tend to doubt you can prove (disprove) the claims.
I guess what it boils down to you have to keep an an open skeptical mind (if that makes any sense. I would like to see a follow up on that though:idea::lurk:

Amir worked for Microsoft and they have bought tons of tech. He left in 2007. His current company does not do retail. Pause and wonder?

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/a-bit-about-your-host.1906/

Eric

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Lots to think about. It's sort of annoying that there is no real way to audition this stuff without purchasing.

Also funny that the D30 was brought up, that's one of the units I've been looking into, in addition to the ones I made the thread about. At this point, I'm leaning more toward this option. I actually need 2 DACs (one for each system). Unless I change my mind, yes again, I'll order one from Amazon this week. Worst case, if I don't feel like it's working out in either system I can return it. From the reviews I'm reading, I doubt that will be the case though...

Back
Top Bottom