Should I include the SACD format in my main system?

That particular player (SA8005) seems to claim that it will play DSD from a computer but does not say at what rate. This is what it says... Disc: SA-CD, CD, CD-R/RW(CD-DA/MP3/WMA, AAC), USB-A: MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC/iPod/iPhone/iPad, USB-B: PCM up to 192kHz/24bit, DSD 2.8 & 5.6 Mhz

I would not be using USB A. But would want to play HR FLAC, DSD etc through the USB - B. The are really not very clear or perhaps I am just not knowledgeable enough to figure it out.

Why would you not get into it? For me, it would make it an easier decision if I could upgrade my DAC at the same time. It just happens that a lot of my favorite recordings of old Jazz and a few classic rock LPs are available in SACD. From Burrell Midnight Blue to Lou Donaldson Sunny Side Up to LA Woman... I would like to hear them in another format...
The playback tech stuff with DSD is not something I'm not up on enough. I play SACDs, but I don't have any DSD playback gear right now. Any SACD iso files I have are burned to a DVD-R for playback.
I'd 100% make sure that what you're looking into buying works for your needs. Keep Oppo in mind, too.

Why not get into now? Mostly a budget thing. I got into SACD not too long after it came out. No regrets, and I love the I titles have, but I'm not sure if I would go there right now.
The Analogue Productions SACD titles are really nice. I spin the copies of Donaldson's Here "Tis and The Time Is Right a lot. Great stuff.

Last edited:
I don't think that's what the OP and PAGS were getting at.
It was about taking the digital files(DSD files in this case, and not a disc) and using the player to do the DAC work. Digital out wasn't any part of that.
Yep, that's my take on it also--using USB or an Ethernet (network) connection to play the audio files.

I use my player for the same reason. In fact, I've gotten to where I don't even use the disc reader in the player, except to rip an SACD to an ISO file, then play the extracted DSF files from a server via the network (which avoids USB completely). I'll eventually be moving to a network player/streamer and DAC setup within the next couple of years but for now, this does fine.

Yep, that's my take on it also--using USB or an Ethernet (network) connection to play the audio files.

I use my player for the same reason. In fact, I've gotten to where I don't even use the disc reader in the player, except to rip an SACD to an ISO file, then play the extracted DSF files from a server via the network (which avoids USB completely). I'll eventually be moving to a network player/streamer and DAC setup within the next couple of years but for now, this does fine.

So this player would rip, through the USB back to the hard drive? That would be cool as I could just play files at work system etc. Sorry for lack of digital awareness!

So this player would rip, through the USB back to the hard drive? That would be cool as I could just play files at work system etc. Sorry for lack of digital awareness!
I have an Oppo, not a Marantz...only certain Oppo models and a couple of rare Pioneer players have the same chipset to rip from SACDs, and it can only be done via a network connection (at least on the Oppo).

Sorry about the confusion. We were talking about playing files from a USB source (a drive or a computer, I guess?) or a network, using the player as a streamer/DAC as opposed to (or in addition to) playing a disc in the machine. Some disc players have that capability, and Marantz also has "network players" which have no disc capabilities in them.

No worries on the digital awareness--I agree a lot of this is confusing! No harm in asking. You have the benefit of the rest of us here having made plenty of mistakes to learn from. :)

Not for DSD, sorry. Disc players either use HDMI or analog, you cannot use any other digital output for DSD.
I could be missing something, but the SA8005 product overview and operating manual are fairly explicit. From the product overview on Marantz's website, http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=hificomponents&ProductId=SA8005:

DAC Flexibility

You can use the SA8005 as a stand-alone digital-to-analog converter, thanks to the inclusion of both coaxial and optical digital audio inputs. You can also connect your favorite portable audio device, via the convenient front panel USB port, and the SA8005 is compatible with the iPod, iPod touch and iPhone. The rear panel asynchronous high speed USB-B port lets you connect your home PC to the SA8005, so you can enjoy superb sound quality from your favorite PCM and DSD high resolution tracks stored on your computer. The USB-B port also features our unique ground isolator circuit design that prevents PC-originated ground plane noise transfer.​

Page 45 of the SA8005 manual:

You can enjoy high-quality playback from the D/A/converter built in to this unit by inputting PCM signal or DSD signal music files into this unit from a computer via USB connection.
It then goes on with several pages of instructions for installing the dedicated driver.

Page 50 of the manual under Playback:

The input audio signal is displayed as shown.
"USB : xxxxk" or "USB : DSD xxxM"​

(Emphasis above, is mine.)

I don't have my player connected to a computer, so I can't attest to how this works. (Is it conceivable that Marantz is fibbing?)

Interestingly, SMSL's M8 holds itself out as a DSD DAC (I think you have or had one of these). However, I don't see an HDMI input, only coax, optical and USB.

Again, I could be missing something.

Thank you for all of your knowledge. I am sure others in the future will find all of this helpful.

@PAGS Any complaints or has the SA8005 worked well? Sounds good? Clear, analytical, warm or otherwise?

Thank you for all of your knowledge. I am sure others in the future will find all of this helpful.

@PAGS Any complaints or has the SA8005 worked well? Sounds good? Clear, analytical, warm or otherwise?
That's tough because I'm no expert when it comes to describing how equipment sounds. But here goes, overall I'd say well-balance and clear. Marantz reputedly leans in the direction of warm. It doesn't sound overly warm to me, and I'm using a tube amp. Neither does it sound sterile or clinical.

As an aside, Marantz has good customer service and one of the better warranties - 3 years. And I just noticed that Music Direct.is selling these units for $899. That's a steal!

That's tough because I'm no expert when it comes to describing how equipment sounds. But here goes, overall I'd say well-balance and clear. Marantz reputedly leans in the direction of warm. It doesn't sound overly warm to me, and I'm using a tube amp. Neither does it sound sterile or clinical.

As an aside, Marantz has good customer service and one of the better warranties - 3 years. And I just noticed that Music Direct.is selling these units for $899. That's a steal!

Yes, I know. I feel like a fool trying to explain what I hear! I guess I just stole one. These are new in the box units, not demos... full warrantee for $899.00 I guess I will be reporting back and trying to explain what I hear. I will also check on it's use as a DAC. Hopefully it pushes the Modi to my work system.

Yes, I know. I feel like a fool trying to explain what I hear! I guess I just stole one. These are new in the box units, not demos... full warrantee for $899.00 I guess I will be reporting back and trying to explain what I hear. I will also check on it's use as a DAC. Hopefully it pushes the Modi to my work system.
Sweet. Hope you like it.

Please note that most SACD Players, especially the cheaper ones, convert DSD to PCM before analog output, which is always a lossy conversion.

I received the SA-8005. Initial impressions are very good. Listened to a few last night and they sounded very, very good. Horace Parlan Moovin' and Groovin', Boss Tenor and Midnight Blue all sounded clean, clear and detailed. Kind of Blue was very magical. Must be the stereo mix. It is so detailed though it seems I hear a bit of what might be tape hiss?? Still cool. Will try to get the DAC going. Initial attempts didn't work with the Marantz windows download. It installed fine but not playing with Foobar.

Other than that, it is a very nice and attractive metal blackfaced component that fits with my Tandbergs. Definitely not a lightweight.

Good players capable of SACD can be found for very cheap so there’s no reason not to. TOTL players from Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, and Denon that we’re sold as “universal” machines before Blu Ray came on the scene are perfect. All have high quality DACs and great build quality.
My Denon dvd-2930CI also does HDCD which I have ten or so and they sound excellent on the Denon. Already have a back up laser assembly just in case. Oh and the video quality is good to but it primarily just plays cd's.

I received the SA-8005. Initial impressions are very good. Listened to a few last night and they sounded very, very good. Horace Parlan Moovin' and Groovin', Boss Tenor and Midnight Blue all sounded clean, clear and detailed. Kind of Blue was very magical. Must be the stereo mix. It is so detailed though it seems I hear a bit of what might be tape hiss?? Still cool. Will try to get the DAC going. Initial attempts didn't work with the Marantz windows download. It installed fine but not playing with Foobar.

Other than that, it is a very nice and attractive metal blackfaced component that fits with my Tandbergs. Definitely not a lightweight.
good choice...but for similar $ -----> arcam cds27

Ok. Finally got the DAC all correctly installed. I am kinda blown away. So far just jazz. 24/96 Coleman Hawkins Desafinado is the best I have heard it. Burrell Midnight Blue DSD was just so detailed.. high end and low end just perfect. Grant Green Grandstand ISO was also pretty freaking magical as was a vinyl rip 24/96 of Art Peppers Smack Up. I have that LP in a couple mixes, first stereopress and AP remaster along with my vinyl AP rip. The rip now rivals the LPs.

I did not expect such a radical difference from the Modi Multibit. Again, I am blown away. I think Marantz got this right. Thanks for the suggestion.

On to some female vocal and then rock...

Unfortunately you are down sampling an SACD to 192/24 which is sad, since you are also compressing the dynamic range also. You are doing an injustice to SACD.

If you want to hear Dynamic range on an SACD, try Hope by Hugh Masekela.

Question BOT, why is this players DAC downsampling? I thought it was DSD capable?

Maybe I am missing something in the hype, here is an excerpt from the SA8005 page.

High-Resolution D/A Conversion

Featuring the reference-class high current CS4398 D/A converter, the SA8005 can accept a wide range of digital audio source types, including Super Audio CD Direct Stream Digital content at 2.8 and 5.6 MHz, along with linear PCM up to 24 bits and 192 kHz. The analog audio sections feature HDAM technologies for the purest audio reproduction. The DAC section features dual clock synchronization for optimum signal decoding, and can also decode MP3 and WMA digital audio formats.

Try a Diana Krall SACD.

I have a couple of her SACDs on the way.

Question BOT, why is this players DAC downsampling? I thought it was DSD capable?

Maybe I am missing something in the hype, here is an excerpt from the SA8005 page.

High-Resolution D/A Conversion

Featuring the reference-class high current CS4398 D/A converter, the SA8005 can accept a wide range of digital audio source types, including Super Audio CD Direct Stream Digital content at 2.8 and 5.6 MHz, along with linear PCM up to 24 bits and 192 kHz. The analog audio sections feature HDAM technologies for the purest audio reproduction. The DAC section features dual clock synchronization for optimum signal decoding, and can also decode MP3 and WMA digital audio formats.

I have to say that both DSD ( and.dff, dsf) files and ISOs sound very good. Is there a better choice than Foobar as a player? I do have both the DSD and SACD components installed.

Back
Top Bottom