Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Must have caught the local Savers while they were stocking, for once. Walked out with an AR A-04 integrated amp for $4.99 and a pair of Klipsch Synergy B2 bookshelf speakers for another $4.99 today. All a little more beat up than usual but working great and if it sticks around, I can always give the amp a fresh coat of black.

Google doesn't find much about the A-04, and nothing here on AK, so I think I'll start a thread tomorrow.

cd-cover.jpg
precious-time-51fed7bfc9588.jpg

Half price at GW today

So the wife say's lets go to the thrift store, I said what the hell.
As usual we came out empty handed.
So we are in the car and pulling out and a truck pulling a trailer blocks us in.
I look and see a couple sets of speaker but nothing worth getting excited over.
Then I see a BIG hunk of silver, I pull closer and see it's a early 80's Pioneer.
I then pull up beside the guy and ask him if the stereo piece works and he replies, yes, you can take it if you like.
View attachment 1116922
I get her home and she powers up & all but one light behind the FM switch works!
Dirty as hell but not for long. :banana:
Will test it out over the next couple of days.
Thanks to my wife :beerchug:
You're gonna want to take your wife out to dinner or something over that one. These are very nice units and the funny thing is that mine has a dead FM light too. I don't care about that though because I live in the mountains where we have no radio reception at all. Enjoy it. it's a killer good unit.:rockon::bigok:

In 62 it was still common practice to seal the inner record rather than the record and jacket (I don't know when shrink wrap was invented). For pricing purposes that is a sealed record. Stereo is more valuable for that title because stereo records still cost a buck or two more than mono ones, so they sold fewer. Even sealed it is good to clean a record that old before play, if you have a cleaning regimen. Organisms can grow inside the bag. I found one sealed copy in eBay completed sales, it went for $12.99. You could try your luck. In an auction setting, something is worth whatever two people think it is.
No wrap for the jacket back then... I didn't know that, or forgot. Thank you, it explains why the jacket was open and the record sealed. I'm embarrassed to describe my record cleaning regimen among experts but it's the between the fingers light foamy soap with warm water and twirled in the direction of the grooves with a soft terry cloth till dry routine. I'll probably open it, inspect for anything growing and if not, put it on the turntable and give it a play.... probably that is... the other option is ETSY, where I have a store and while not an auction it's cheap to list and, who knows, that other person might show up... Thank you for the chat.

Been a bit dry here lately, but I found something today. This was at the bottom of a cart in the donation drop off area. I asked the asst manager if I could check it out. It powered up, but had a loose tuning button. Got it cheap as a "fixer upper". 60 WPC Akai AA-R42 receiver in all it's 80's glory. Works well and sounds good.

View attachment 1113783
Cool! Had one of these in my youth. Hadn't seen another until recently when I ran across the little 25 WPC version at an estate sale. For the $5 they wanted I had to have it.

I keep popping into the GW store because it's a hobby that keeps calling....and calling... Anyway, equipment has been either dry, damaged, or overpriced, but the records are always fun to go thru. Unfortunately, when you see a new stash of stuff it's typically because someone died....and their stuff is dumped at GW.
So, vinyl has been hit or miss, sometimes fun, other times frustrating to see a scratch so back in the cover and back in the bin, but tody I picked up some classical stuff, Rispigi, Sibelius.....AND a couple Frank Sinatra records, both Columbia, 6 EYE, from 1955 and 1958, absolutely mint, dead quiet, and shine like nothing I've seen in a long time. Back when they made real records. Imagine sixty year old records in this condition.....Helps one keep the faith!!!20180219_155945_resized.jpg 20180219_154001_resized.jpg

I keep popping into the GW store because it's a hobby that keeps calling....and calling... Anyway, equipment has been either dry, damaged, or overpriced, but the records are always fun to go thru. Unfortunately, when you see a new stash of stuff it's typically because someone died....and their stuff is dumped at GW.
So, vinyl has been hit or miss, sometimes fun, other times frustrating to see a scratch so back in the cover and back in the bin, but tody I picked up some classical stuff, Rispigi, Sibelius.....AND a couple Frank Sinatra records, both Columbia, 6 EYE, from 1955 and 1958, absolutely mint, dead quiet, and shine like nothing I've seen in a long time. Back when they made real records. Imagine sixty year old records in this condition.....Helps one keep the faith!!!View attachment 1118764 View attachment 1118765
Funny how that works. All my records from the 50s are perfect. Finding records from the 70s and 80s that aren’t roached is almost impossible.

That’s easy to explain! The 50s music stayed in the owners house and wasn’t played that often. The 70s and 80s Records went to parties and got written on to try and ensure they went home with the right owner, the record covers were used as a surface to prepare the evening combustibles, people at the party would change the Records and didn’t worry too much how they did it, and the Records sat outside of their dust covers in basements filled with smoke! No surprise there!

That’s easy to explain! The 50s music stayed in the owners house and wasn’t played that often. The 70s and 80s Records went to parties and got written on to try and ensure they went home with the right owner, the record covers were used as a surface to prepare the evening combustibles, people at the party would change the Records and didn’t worry too much how they did it, and the Records sat outside of their dust covers in basements filled with smoke! No surprise there!
This I completely believe. Find me a clean Motown record. You see lots of Motown, but it's almost always beat. It was party music.

Back
Top Bottom