Show your Bicycle !

My cruiser at the local BMX track

I just found this one today, after it had been stolen friday night. It isn't worth much, money-wise, but I've put a lot of hours into restoring it, and it rides great,so I was seriously bummed when it suddenly wasn't where I'd left it.

I picked up this Trek today, I haven't checked out the serial numbers yet, I'm guessing it is late 80"s? 12 speed, super light. I'd like it if the stand-over height was a .5" less, but that is ok. I'm anticipating a new handlebar stem to make it a little longer, need to replace the seat and hopefully replace it so I can slide the seat back a bit ( even thou it is a 22"frame I feel a little cramped on it). Long range plan is to use it for touring. trek Nov.jpg

I picked up this Trek today, I haven't checked out the serial numbers yet, I'm guessing it is late 80"s? 12 speed, super light. I'd like it if the stand-over height was a .5" less, but that is ok. I'm anticipating a new handlebar stem to make it a little longer, need to replace the seat and hopefully replace it so I can slide the seat back a bit ( even thou it is a 22"frame I feel a little cramped on it). Long range plan is to use it for touring. View attachment 1042567

Info re: setup (ignore if you already know this stuff)
Seat height: The distance from the top surface of the seat, to the top of the pedal (when the crank arm is aligned with the seat tube, so the pedal is at the very bottom of the stroke), should equal 109% of your inseam measurement.

Stem length and seat forward/back positioning: With your elbow bent to 90 degrees, and fingers extended out to the max reach, put your elbow against the forward nose end of the saddle. Having your middle finger just touching the back side of the handlebar would indicate a proper stem length.

Happy riding !

This is my 12 speed Raleigh Technium "Ovation" (made in U.S.A.) that I bought new in 1988. Has very low miles on her and overall it's like new. It has an aluminum frame and I added new tires last year and she runs great. It had the largest frame available at the time 25" I'm 6'5" so it's perfect for me. Sure glad I held onto her all these years. My wife had the same bike with a smaller frame (bought them at the same time) and she sold it about 18 years ago and regrets it to this day when she sees mine, I told her not to. :rolleyes:

A couple blocks from home, the Superstition Mountains are in the background.

20170108_125050.jpg

with the old tires . . .

Raleigh_2.jpg

Raleigh_5.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a Litespeed I bought on Ebay. It had cantilever brakes that were a real PIA to adjust. It made it around Lake Ontario and Paris Brest Paris. I'm happiest on a bike. (of course that's not me). The setting is upper New York State which is a really beautiful place to ride, some of the best in the US in my opinion.

IMG_3444.jpg

Here's a Litespeed I bought on Ebay. It had cantilever brakes that were a real PIA to adjust. It made it around Lake Ontario and Paris Brest Paris. I'm happiest on a bike. (of course that's not me). The setting is upper New York State which is a really beautiful place to ride, some of the best in the US in my opinion.

View attachment 1087366

Is that a Classic?

Is that a Classic?
I can't remember if it was an Appalachian or Blue Ridge. The fork was aluminum. I do have a Classic and have been riding it since 1999. I cracked the frame of the one in the picture. With the repair the decal went from yellow to black The Classic is still going strong. It's gone thru a few drive trains and one fork. It went 10000+ kilometers last year, mostly brevets. It rides like a couch and very stable at all speeds. But you know that, because you own one too. :)

Last edited:
New stem and handlebars for my new ride. The guy I bought the bike from was a good deal taller than I am, so with the stem he had put on it the reach to the bars was too long for me. Also, I wanted a more upright, relaxed riding position, so I went with an Animal MR topload stem and a set of Ciari 2.5" Attabars. Combined with the 38-16 gearing it's almost like riding a BMX cruiser now :)

I also added a front splashguard (I hate the look of it, but in a country where it rains 180 days a year, it's a necessary evil on a commuter), and an Ortlieb Ultimate 6 bag.

As it is right now, the bike weighs in at just below 20lbs, which I think is pretty good for a 20" chromo frame.

And a couple of shots of my fave spot for a cigarette break on my way home from work

Vivace Project.jpg

That is a shot of the bike I am planning to ride once the roads clear up, just before the bars got taped. Should be nice, full hydraulic disc brakes, through axles, latest Shimano Ultegra 8000 Di2 (not a huge Di2 fan, will give it a try), 35mm profile carbon rims, very ergo carbon bars (prototypes for testing). I am not a weight weenie but I was pleased when all built up with Look Keo 2 Max Blade pedals, 2 cages and honest 28mm tires it came in at about 16.5 pounds, less than a pound more than my old high end bikes with rim brakes, QRs and 23mm tires while being massively more capable.

When I call it MY new bike I mean it: I designed it. My concept, did the geometry and specified the front/middle/rear stiffness for each size, decided on the silhouette, worked with our designer on the tube shapes which we then submitted to the engineers to do the dimensions and layups, specified changes to the drawings from the engineers before approving the final ones. Tested the prototype, requested changes to the layup for greater comfort and then picked every part for the spec on the production models. Worked out pretty well, at least according to some people who have tried it:

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/opus-vivace-1-review/#.WonxpTEo59A

This one is based on a one off white/black frame we had lying around, some samples parts, some wheels I had used last year, voila, a bike! I rode our photoshoot sample which was just like the one tested by Inside Cycling in the link above last year, loved it, can't wait to try this "special edition".

Last edited:
View attachment 1117827

That is a shot of the bike I am planning to ride once the roads clear up, just before the bars got taped. Should be nice, full hydraulic disc brakes, through axles, latest Shimano Ultegra 8000 Di2 (not a huge Di2 fan, will give it a try), 35mm profile carbon rims, very ergo carbon bars (prototypes for testing). I am not a weight weenie but I was pleased when all built up with Look Keo 2 Max Blade pedals, 2 cages and honest 28mm tires it came in at about 16.5 pounds, less than a pound more than my old high end bikes with rim brakes, QRs and 23mm tires while being massively more capable.

When I call it MY new bike I mean it: I designed it. My concept, did the geometry and specified the front/middle/rear stiffness for each size, decided on the silhouette, worked with our designer on the tube shapes which we then submitted to the engineers to do the dimensions and layups, specified changes to the drawings from the engineers before approving the final ones. Tested the prototype, requested changes to the layup for greater comfort and then picked every part for the spec on the production models. Worked out pretty well, at least according to some people who have tried it:

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/opus-vivace-1-review/#.WonxpTEo59A

This one is based on a one off white/black frame we had lying around, some samples parts, some wheels I had used last year, voila, a bike! I rode our photoshoot sample which was just like the one tested by Inside Cycling in the link above last year, loved it, can't wait to try this "special edition".

OK, you win this post as best of show!

A beautiful bike. Your company must be located in Vancouver? I think I recognized that view of the city in one of the article's photos; I passed that spot every day for about 3 weeks while there for the 2010 Games.

Thanks! Good spotting but it is the reviewer who is based out West .We are in Montreal.

Just got fitted on that new bike. Back to my Veteran A (they did not call us Masters in Quebec back then) racing weight of about 20 years ago so a few positioning tweaks were in order vs how I had been riding the last couple of seasons. The roads are far from ready for a bike like that but I will build up my latest design, the Horizon you see in the article, with fenders and 650b x 38 tires for more traction and stability to start riding soon. Once the roads clear I will install 700c wheels with some 30 or 32s and keep it as a rain bike, maybe try some mixed surface events this season.

Klein Mantra Comp, 1998 model. Had two of these, this one is about 99.9% new old stock. Health issues causing me to thin out my hobby-related items. If this bike interests you, please PM me and we can discuss it. Also two nice road bikes will probably be available as well.

upload_2018-2-24_2-32-23.png

Back
Top Bottom