McIntosh MA252

Older pre-amps signal to noise was referenced to 10 mv unweighted. Now some of the preamps are measured against 5 mv or 2.5 and are A weighted which approximates the ears sensitivity at low listening levels. Its all bit confusing when a MP 100 is a few Db quieter than the C-34 phono input signal to noise of 90 db versus the MP 100 signal to noise of 82 db A weighted. I under stand the A weighting, but prefer they didn't as most other manufacturers don't. It makes for difficulty comparing different units. But then all manfactureers like to fudge or have their equipment shown in the best light. .

I think the MA252 could be an absolutely fun addition to the McIntosh enthusiast. Of course the early photos did not appeal to me, but now I really like it.

Last edited:
Looks great.....too bad Mc can't tell us when it's going to ship. My dealer can't find out and I've left 2 messages at the factory. :(

Does anyone own this yet? My dealer is not a local brick and mortar (I don't even have those for Sony), but I know they have gotten a couple.

I would be in debt to anyone for the time it would take for some real life photos and impressions where things were hooked up and not just in the corner of an audio show.

Okay. I called a Mac dealer I deal with. He says that McIntosh is being flooded with orders and they can’t keep up with producing enough of them. He suggested that anyone interested in the 252 should place a down payment. Otherwise you will wait months to get one. (Don’t expect to walk into a store and take one home without a pre-order.) Having said this, the dealer said he should be seeing the first ones come into his store late January.

PS, the dealer said he had one unit sent to him for evaluation. The store staff was very pleased at what they heard. They didn’t get to keep that one.

I bet these would sound killer on my Wharfedale Denton's & Klipsch Bell's. Excited to hear someone's full review of these. My last audio purchase will be some form of separate McIntosh pre/power or this. I'm done with receivers. Need to try tubes. This looks absolutely amazing.

This MA252 is absolutely growing on me too and will be finding it difficult to resist in the coming year. :)

Can’t wait for you guys to get yours. Looks like a great time to be a McIntosh fan.

Glad to hear the MA252 is doing well. It seems to suggest the reports of the audio industry's demise have been greatly exaggerated. :rolleyes:

I just want to update. My dealer called yesterday to say he had some in stock. Not many, and I can't pull the trigger at this moment.

I am sure that he called a number of people, so I don't know that these will hang around.

Ah, the trap is set, the bait irresistible unable to move strapped to huge cables.The scent & sound of new Mac gear hangs in the air drifting, calling out to the ever rare & reclusive Macintaurus Rex.
Question is...will he come?

Oh yes...oh yes.:naughty:

By the way, why is it called "252" if it outputs 100 wpc into 8 ohms? Why not call it "MA2100"? Product name is a little confusing.

Possibly because the 2100 number is already designated to another model. Just a guess.

Could any of you folks help me with this? I know the sound will be different between the two units --

but when do you know you are upgrading?

It would be within the same brand, so the comparison should be pretty consistent.

While I have not had your set up of Macs, I previously had Mac MA6200/6500 & last the 6900. I was able to demo the MA252 at home with my set up/speakers (Cornwalls at the time now Dynaudio Focus 340's as of last week) and after A/B between the 6900 (much more power etc) and the 252, for me I immediately noticed that I liked the definition of the 252 much better. Maybe because it's my first tube anything? I'm not exactly sure. I am very happy with this Amp, I almost only listen to vinyl and I think it's worth giving it a shot.

Repost from another MC252 thread.

Just got one in NYC!
Works quite well with the my P6/Hana SL. The cartridge is a low output MC so I am using my Phonomena preamp. I think the sound is getting better as I break in the new cartridge and the amp.
Love the looks of it. It is currently driving my german speakers ASW genius 310 @160 Watts into 4 Ohms
It does everything well, very detailed sound. Definitely an amp that will bring more costumers to Mcintosh.
I think it sounds a tiny little bit bright or maybe it is just the burn in period. (If there is one?)

Cheers!

index.php
index.php

Last edited:
Here is my dual purpose MA252:
Technics 1200GR / Ortofon 2M Blue is going into phono on MA252 for easy listing
Mastersounds Tube HIFI dj mixer xlr out to xlr in on MA252 for weekend mixing
Speakers: JBL 4312SE 70th Anniversary edition

U6D5ULs.jpg

gXSWgXy.jpg

s!AnTgSj_4fLBsjAUTZ1I_-hQYiuLa

s!AnTgSj_4fLBsjAf0S672Ys9UOZZ7