The Sound Of The City: The Music Tells The Story

Always wondered if this thread had anything to do with Gillett's book. I will have to dig out my copy (1983 reprint) & re-read it. Thanks for going to the trouble of making & posting the accompanying playlists!

"
Charles Mingus - Scenes In The City"

i first heard this on a Branford Marsalis cd. didn't realize that it had been borrowed from Mingus. both versions are good.

Always wondered if this thread had anything to do with Gillett's book. I will have to dig out my copy (1983 reprint) & re-read it. Thanks for going to the trouble of making & posting the accompanying playlists!

I never did complete the entire list. It's a total of 300 tunes!!

Oh now this is odd...

This is a great book, when I read it it became the guide to my record collecting for several years, I learned so much from it.

This is what the book looks like, I devoured an earlier edition.

1088969.jpg

These 330 tunes tell the story of rock and roll as a musical legend and cultural icon. And the tunes are a mixture of the familiar and the obscure, there's delights here for all.

I loaned my copy of The Sound Of The City to a friend at work a while ago. A good bloke, and I was sure that he was going to be around for a long time. Unexpectedly he announced his resignation and left quickly. I asked him to return the book and he couldn't recall the loan. Looks like I've lost a valued book. He is trustworthy, so I don't believe there was any intention to steal it.

I loaned my copy of The Sound Of The City to a friend at work a while ago. A good bloke, and I was sure that he was going to be around for a long time. Unexpectedly he announced his resignation and left quickly. I asked him to return the book and he couldn't recall the loan. Looks like I've lost a valued book. He is trustworthy, so I don't believe there was any intention to steal it.

Ugh. I have lost a couple CDs and DVDs in this fashion.

Back
Top Bottom