A new cartridge for Akai AP-100C

Laura Lex

I own a 1978 Akai AP-100C turntable with the original PC 100 cartridge and I am thinking about upgrading the cartridge in the near future.

Based on some reviews that I've seen online, I've been thinking about the Nagaoka MP 110.

Is this cartridge compatible with my turntable?

Does anyone have a better suggestion in the same price range?

Thank you.

Any cartridge from 4g - 9g mass I suppose. Some people on VE have AT-95(5,7g), AT-91(5,7g), AT-102-P(6,0g), Ortofon OM 10(5,0g) carts. MP-110 have 6,5g and probably would fit.
Maybe to choose cartridge with better needle as Micro Ridge or Micro Linear shapes.

I own a 1978 Akai AP-100C turntable with the original PC 100 cartridge and I am thinking about upgrading the cartridge in the near future.

Based on some reviews that I've seen online, I've been thinking about the Nagaoka MP 110.

Is this cartridge compatible with my turntable?

Does anyone have a better suggestion in the same price range?

Thank you.

In Europe, the following site have some good selection of Nagaoka cartridges.
http://www.pickupnaald.nl/elementen/elementen-n/nagaoka.html

The Nagaoka/Expert JT322-Quadra featuring a " nude Shibata" stylus may be a very good choice. :music:
http://www.pickupnaald.nl/elementen...rt-nagaoka-quadra-jt-322-original-403004.html

The PC-100 is rebranded Acutex , not sure if its the M 307 or M310, which are well regarded cartridges that have a unique Tri-Pole technology. If your able to source a M312 STR stylus you'll Have a great sounding cartridge. BUt those are as rare as hens teeth, but they do show up now and then if your willing to wait.

There are a couple of Akai PC-150's on the auction site NOS. I think they are AT 12x variants. You can get a shibata stylus down the road for them similar the Acutex 312 STR stylus.

Athanasios

Any cartridge from 4g - 9g mass I suppose. Some people on VE have AT-95(5,7g), AT-91(5,7g), AT-102-P(6,0g), Ortofon OM 10(5,0g) carts. MP-110 have 6,5g and probably would fit.
Maybe to choose cartridge with better needle as Micro Ridge or Micro Linear shapes.

Thank you!

I'd like to ask why the mass of the cartridge is important?
Doesn't the counterbalance weight compensates for it?

The PC-100 is rebranded Acutex , not sure if its the M 307 or M310, which are well regarded cartridges that have a unique Tri-Pole technology. If your able to source a M312 STR stylus you'll Have a great sounding cartridge. BUt those are as rare as hens teeth, but they do show up now and then if your willing to wait.

There are a couple of Akai PC-150's on the auction site NOS. I think they are AT 12x variants. You can get a shibata stylus down the road for them similar the Acutex 312 STR stylus.

Athanasios

Thank you for your suggestions!
Unfortunately I live in Romania and it is not so easy to find parts here and if I buy them from other countries, the shipping price may be too high.
But thank you anyway!

Thank you!

I'd like to ask why the mass of the cartridge is important?
Doesn't the counterbalance weight compensates for it?

Important is then stylus and tonearm have direct impact of one to the other. It must be compatible between them because that cartridge have own resonant frequency, tonearm have own mass, cartridge mass have impact on total tonearm mass, cartridge compliance have impact on resonance and effective mass also etc. Every parts on tonearm must be in synergy to achieve best performance from cartridge and stylus. Counterweight compensate tonearm movement and also have impact on tonearm effective mass what have direct impact on cartridge compliance and vice versa. Everything is important in the relationship between tonearm and cartridge.
This is one good article from KAB about cartridge... https://www.kabusa.com/cartspecs.htm

Thank you for your suggestions!
Unfortunately I live in Romania and it is not so easy to find parts here and if I buy them from other countries, the shipping price may be too high.
But thank you anyway!

Romania is part of EU countries and you can try to found needle on pickupnaalden.com which is located in Netherlands. Handle and shipping to Romania is 4€ and you dont have any additional taxes if you buy them from EU countries.

Back
Top Bottom