New Category: TAPE find of the day?!?

Yesterday I got a CASSETTE :)

Neil Diamond - Hot august night (Live 1972 (first 1972 release)) - I also have the 8 track (Also first release)

I didnt know this was 1/2 speed mastered.... I didnt think they did stuff like that in 1972 (Maybe thats why it sounds so good on the 8 track (Well NO DOLBY FILTERING is one thing that lets it sound so good))

Went to a GW expecting nothing. Ended up with a Journey cassette and an interesting cassingle. It was the Pretenders' "I'll Stand By You" recorded in... Dolby HX Pro S? Didn't even know they released Dolby S tapes commercially. Anyways, it sounds great for 25¢!

Ebay-1-AS11.jpg

I was in a little coastal town the other day, known for its quite significant retirement community. The age of the residents of the town was shown by the vinyl selection in the St John Ambulance thrift store - nothing of my taste at all.

I did find, however, a nice bunch of Eighties cassettes including Altered Images, A Flock Of Seagulls, Simple Minds, Big Country and Laura Brannigan. 50 cents each.

I am not going to say this is a score at all, but I saw a craigslist post selling a bunch of old reel to reel tapes for $20. It was for a local museum, so I donated a bit extra. The next day the guy calls me and tells me they have more that I can have if I want for free. I just picked them up. Here are the four boxes in total:

IMG_20180223_145759.jpg

The four tapes I tested Wednesday all had the sticky tape issues, so I do not expect many of these to really be all that good. However, there was a surprising find in that one of the boxes was actually 8 mm film and is labeled as a Laurel and Hardy movie. Now I just need to find a projector...

I am not going to say this is a score at all, but I saw a craigslist post selling a bunch of old reel to reel tapes for $20. It was for a local museum, so I donated a bit extra. The next day the guy calls me and tells me they have more that I can have if I want for free. I just picked them up. Here are the four boxes in total:

View attachment 1121982

The four tapes I tested Wednesday all had the sticky tape issues, so I do not expect many of these to really be all that good. However, there was a surprising find in that one of the boxes was actually 8 mm film and is labeled as a Laurel and Hardy movie. Now I just need to find a projector...
saw them... seller hadn't heard of "SSS" so I passed... there were 60+ 10-1/2" also

saw them... seller hadn't heard of "SSS" so I passed... there were 60+ 10-1/2" also

I confess I am a bit new at this stuff in particular, and a quick google of SSS is not being helpful. What is SSS? As for the 10-1/2", my player only does 7" max, so even if I saw those, I could not be interested.

Nevermind, I tried googling SSS tape and got a lot more useful results. Also, I am not surprised the guy did not know about that. I feel like these were donated awhile back and had simply been in storage for a couple decades and they did not know what to do with them. Which is a shame, for some of them. I have not tried any recently, but maybe I will this evening.

99 cents each at SA. The Quit Smoking cassette says 1960. The Wizard of Oz set is 4 tapes, 99 cents total;

CAS1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom