Any Friends of Bill W here @ AudioKarma

Sometimes I'm worried that all the money I used to spend on booze is still walking out the door on new gear.

At least I have something to show for it though!
29 years sober here.
Instead of waking up my neighbors at 4AM cranking Metallica or Ode To Joy in my apartment I own my own house and a considerably expanded music collection. I bought my car new in 2009 and still have it. It's 100% legal and undented. 24 hour drivers license.
No stitches, fights or judges for many years and can't remember the last time I puked. etc etc etc
I've been the coffee maker at my group for over 5 years so I don't miss a meeting.

If I put anything before my sobriety I'll lose both.
Daily inventory and action instead of worry and grab life by the ears.
Enjoy the ride :rockon:

Good vibes here guys. Making Coffee is a big deal for us Mowgli. LOL. Remember back in the day our sponsors would sign us up to clean ashtrays?

We like to invite the new people out for dinner after the mtg. We feel it sometimes offers a more personal touch. I remember how it felt as a new guy being invited out. I know its a basic practice but thought I would bring it up

We like to invite the new people out for dinner after the mtg. We feel it sometimes offers a more personal touch. I remember how it felt as a new guy being invited out. I know its a basic practice but thought I would bring it up

Yes, I agree. When a newbie shows up everybody goes into telling him or her what was their secret formula for saving their asses. The steps! Higher power. Sponsorship. The literature.
For me, it was the community.
For the first time in my life I had a powerful sense of belonging, of being a part of rather than apart from.
And it was so new to me, to have people seeking my company.
Breaking bread together is a powerful ritual and much appreciated, ....even by this old atheist.

Meetings offer a method of fulfillment of one Maslow's Needs basic requirements of Socialization or "Herding". They can help fight depression by releasing the neurotransmitter Oxytocin in the brain. Almost kind of a partial substitution for the actual drinking. No wonder so many people really get "addicted" to meetings, especially the people who take to them early on.

All of which is great. I think pretty much whatever keeps you sober (and alive), as long as it isn't hurting anyone else, is what you should do. AA may not be perfect but It's the first thing I'd recommend. Just showing up to meetings on a routine basis is such an important factor.

Bottom line - they make you feel good.

Meetings offer a method of fulfillment of one Maslow's Needs basic requirements of Socialization or "Herding". They can help fight depression by releasing the neurotransmitter Oxytocin in the brain. Almost kind of a partial substitution for the actual drinking. No wonder so many people really get "addicted" to meetings, especially the people who take to them early on.

All of which is great. I think pretty much whatever keeps you sober (and alive), as long as it isn't hurting anyone else, is what you should do. AA may not be perfect but It's the first thing I'd recommend. Just showing up to meetings on a routine basis is such an important factor.

Bottom line - they make you feel good.
Also, peer affirmation contributes to the renewed sense of constructive self-worth.

That's for sure, Pio. I remember waaay back when I first thought about what a meeting might be and was so concerned about what you might have to "do" or not "do" at a meeting I just had a built in adversity to even considering attending.

Then when I finally got there I was pretty taken back. Mostly I was amazed at the non-judgmental attitude. I guess when everybody's in the same boat there's not a lot of room for that, but it seemed even deeper. That people were genuinely concerned about other people and not just because they were told to be by the "rules"/ concept of AA.

And I've been to some pretty weird ones in some pretty weird places.

Exactly and the reason after 28 years I still attend. Its certainly not to get beat over the head with all the god bs in the BB. As a non theist its tiring.

Back
Top Bottom