Review of $500K+ System from The Absolute Sound

Tom Bombadil

AK Member
LAMM Signature series ML3 amplifiers ($139k/pr.)
LL1.1
line-level preamp ($45,590/pr.)
LP1 phono preamps ($36,890/set)
LP2.1
phono preamp ($9390 each)
Kharma Exquisite Midi Grand Signature speakers ($191k/pr.)
TechDas Air Force 1
turntable ($110k)
Aqua La Diva CD transport ($9k)
Acoustic Formula xHD DAC ($16.5k).

Though this demo in a 35th floor suite didn’t represent debuts in my category, it was so convincingly true to life and breathtakingly beautiful—even flirting with (dare I say?) perfection on some material—I feel compelled to include it. A key example: Listen to my vintage Decca LP of Gerhard’s Libra rendered such amazing imaging and rapid-fire and realistic initial transient attacks that the anticipation of the next guitar strum, or drum strike, or clarinet wail led to edge-of-your seat excitement. Moreover, soundstage presented a huge sense of very deep and wide-open space between the instruments.

As much as I try to spare my use of audiophile clichés, one rings true here: This highly resolved, holographic, and über-realistic system full of room-filling bloom conveyed the same thrills as if the musicians were present. Lovingly transparent with a touch of warm sweetness, astonishingly three-dimensional in imaging and bloom, and just jaw-droppingly there.

Awesome. Lamm might be my cost-no-object dream lottery front end. I would have loved to hear that system.

And a bargain at 1/5th the price of a Bugatti Chiron.

- Woody

The OP was talking about what he heard and here we go again. Y'all have to make fun of things you never heard.

Lamm makes really nice stuff and Kharmas are hand built - I have heard them - they are amazing sounding.

Technical specs
The technical specifications expose the uncompromised design of the Exquisite Midi Grand. This is especially stressed by the wide frequency spectrum the loudspeaker can produce.

Type: EXQ-MDGR-1.0-S
System: 3.5-way
RMS Power: 500 Watt
Program power: 1000 Watt
Frequency range: 24 Hz – 90 kHz
Nominal Impedence: 4 Ohm
Efficience 2,83V / 1m: 91 dB
Maximum SPL: 118 dB

Lamm monoblocks - that is one channel

913lamm.promo__0.jpg
And here I thought I'd left midi behind (musical instrument digital interface). Shut my mouth and call me Charlie.

Even if I hit a hundred million in a lottery, I don't see spending half a mill on stereo. I'd sit a strict limit of $499,999.

Might upgrade later, though.
If you can limit yourself to just 1 pair of phono preamps per turntable, you're in! (I'm not sure if there is one stereo phono pre and two mono units, or what, exactly... I'll have to go back and look).

If you can limit yourself to just 1 pair of phono preamps per turntable, you're in! (I'm not sure if there is one stereo phono pre and two mono units, or what, exactly... I'll have to go back and look).

No vinyl for me. Hey, now I can spend some real money on speakers.

Actually, I could see myself purchasing a pair of Avant Gard Trios. Those brightly colored sculptures in my new big home, with bikini-clad ladies pouring my tea or straightening my stylus...

Even if I hit a hundred million in a lottery, I don't see spending half a mill on stereo. I'd sit a strict limit of $499,999.

Might upgrade later, though.

If I had $100M, I don't know what I would spend on audio. Whatever it took for me to experience nirvana. And it would include a new house with a perfect listening room. Maybe two.

Back
Top Bottom