XR50 owners...happy with the purchase?

I bought the XR50 2 weeks ago to match with my new 252...I am very happy with my purchase! XR50 sounded like full standing speakers out there; soundstage is big, bass is more than enough of what I'm looking for, and highs are crystal clear! Still contemplating whether I put them on a stand or just sitting on top of my Audio Cabinet.

DSC_0390.jpg

When I was browsing stand mount speakers, I auditioned the XR50's driven by an MC152 and was not overly impressed. They do deliver decent bass but I thought they paled in comparison to others in the midrange and highs. I also noted that the MC152 got pretty warm while driving them which really surprised me. The dealer said that they do require quite a bit of steam to make them really sing and that they were the only bookshelf speaker he sells that made that amp heat up like that. I'm sure your MA8000 wouldn't have a problem with them though. As another poster pointed out, take your time and try as many speakers in that price range as you can. If anyone really values true full range sound and are tied to bookshelf speakers, I think they should concentrate on the speaker's quality of midrange/highs and plan on adding a subwoofer. Just my 2 piddly cents.

If you are going to use a smaller amp a pair of XL-1's are a better choice. They handle 80 watts RMS and our 8 db more efficient. They also have a non resonant silk dome tweeter thats much easier to listen to . The bottom might not be quite the same But I would give up a little bass to be free of headaches. I admit they will be hard to find. ADS, Braun and M&K MPS 1620 P small speakers will out perform the XR 50. They may not be as pretty, but they sound better. M&K makes a small 8 inch powered subwoofer you can hide that will kick butt almost down to 20 HZ.

Last edited:
Congrats Dario...

How about using these under those 50's?

http://www.isoacoustics.com/

I've got those under my XR50s (which are on a couple of somewhat-flimsy neoclassic plant stands of all things) and they do indeed make a difference (probably mostly by raising them to just the right height). I'm not one for audiophoolery (e.g. "audiophile circuit breakers" and the like), but, surprisingly, these did make a difference for me. Also tried yoga blocks, which did not. So go figure :)

I bought the XR50 2 weeks ago to match with my new 252...I am very happy with my purchase! XR50 sounded like full standing speakers out there; soundstage is big, bass is more than enough of what I'm looking for, and highs are crystal clear! Still contemplating whether I put them on a stand or just sitting on top of my Audio Cabinet.

View attachment 1123638

Gorgeous setup Darell, what are you using as sources?

I've got those under my XR50s (which are on a couple of somewhat-flimsy neoclassic plant stands of all things) and they do indeed make a difference (probably mostly by raising them to just the right height). I'm not one for audiophoolery (e.g. "audiophile circuit breakers" and the like), but, surprisingly, these did make a difference for me. Also tried yoga blocks, which did not. So go figure :)

Thank you!

I purchased mine for a little over 2K and was stoked on the sound, I have them hooked up to a MC252. If you own these a 200WPC or more is always better.

Back
Top Bottom