Finally got tubes! Sherwood content.

warriorfan

Sunday while a bit bored I got on my local dougslist searches and ran across a sweet deal. A sherwood s1000iii 36w amplifier and s3000iii tuner caught my eye that was just listed for $25 for the pair and it said the worked! No phone number and email was the only way to contact the seller. I loath these listings and I figured it was gone, but sent a email. While waiting I browsed on. A gerrand rs 88/4 caught my eye that was in the same city and I thought...maybe. This listing had a phone number! Shot the guy a text and sure enough it was the same person that had the tube setup! After not getting a reply in like 2 minutes I called. Done deal!!! Picked up the amp, tuner, and turntable for $60. He was asking $25 for the gerrand as well. Felt like I got such a deal I didn't worry about change and we shook hands. A bonus was getting both original manuals with each sherwood.

Today I cleaned the pieces up a little and decided to try em. Hooked up a ads L400is and wow! This tuner pulls some stations! The gerrand needs a new matt but it worked too!

And pics!

Attachments

• 0226180921.jpg
    0226180921.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 235
  • 0226180920.jpg
    0226180920.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 221
  • 0226180921a.jpg
    0226180921a.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 214
  • 0226180944.jpg
    0226180944.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 0226180944a.jpg
    0226180944a.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 0226180944b.jpg
    0226180944b.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 208
  • 0226181019.jpg
    0226181019.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 0226181012.jpg
    0226181012.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 209
Sunday while a bit bored I got on my local dougslist searches and ran across a sweet deal. A sherwood s1000iii 36w amplifier and s3000iii tuner caught my eye that was just listed for $25 for the pair and it said the worked! No phone number and email was the only way to contact the seller. I loath these listings and I figured it was gone, but sent a email. While waiting I browsed on. A gerrand rs 88/4 caught my eye that was in the same city and I thought...maybe. This listing had a phone number! Shot the guy a text and sure enough it was the same person that had the tube setup! After not getting a reply in like 2 minutes I called. Done deal!!! Picked up the amp, tuner, and turntable for $60. He was asking $25 for the gerrand as well. Felt like I got such a deal I didn't worry about change and we shook hands. A bonus was getting both original manuals with each sherwood.

Today I cleaned the pieces up a little and decided to try em. Hooked up a ads L400is and wow! This tuner pulls some stations! The gerrand needs a new matt but it worked too!

And pics!
That is an excellent score. As you know the Sherwood 1K is a mono amp. If you are looking for another i can hook you up, cheers, Primo

The tuner is stereo...least I believe it is??? Amp is my bottle neck for stereo???

I am very impressed with both the tuner and amp. The tuner is very sensitive and in mono I am seeing more bass and just as good mids and highs as my au555a. I risked one of my ads L8802's here that I have played this awhile and feel safe. Very impressed! Thinking a pair of these sherwoods are gonna drivet the ads's and the sui is going to drive the yamaha's. I can keep the addiction going looking for another pair of speaks for channel b. Splendid...to my wife's disapprovale.

I'm pretty sure the tuner is mono, untill the optional multiplexer is installed where the plate, and socket are.

I see the sockets. Manual doesnt mention it though. More diggin... hard to find info on these. Appreciate the knowledge Scott.

Thx gadget! Lurked long enough to see guys really rave about the el84 stuff so it was cool to find it. Looks like I will be adding another as well and was actullay considering one on the auction site that was as is until another popped up. Be nice to have a pair that are ready to go into play. The old knight ka40 I have tried cutting my teeth on in repairing will donate it's mullards once I get to rolling tubes like all you cool cats do. I was in a darn funk up until this weekend with a lot going on with the kiddo's and life in general so this was a pretty big deal to me to find. Little things sometimes...

Wow- nice pickup. It is a nice luxury to have a high quality mono system. I have one in my bedroom. Most of my listening occurs when I'm doing other things and stereo imaging is never my top priority anyway.

Thx Scott. I will have to keep my eyes pealed for one. The tuner is cool enough though with that signal meter thingy in green. Amazing this stuff was from 1959 and right here close in Chicago.

Meh...Mono isn't my cup of tea I guess? This blends perfect with my sansui playing, but to have a speaker not in use kind of bothers me. Someone that would have used this as it was intended should have ended up with it.

Mono is great for background music, especially if you aren't in the sweet spot between the speakers. Also works nice if you have a lonely speaker doing nothing useful. At the end of the day though, if it doesn't float your boat someone else probably will love it.

I agree with Gadget. 2 of 3 of my consoles that I have operating in the house are mono. 51 Fisher Coronet, 58 FISHER Contemporary, and a 59 610 consolette with the 560 companion speaker with amp. And I'm running a Sherwood S3MX Multiplex Adapter on the 610. All are in bedrooms where it's really hard to squeeze 2 speakers in. Great sound too. Put the mono system in the bedroom, and go with what you got. It'll probably surprise you in FM too. No stereo Hiss, very quiet background unless the station is weak.

Here's a schematic with pics of the A3MX. You CAN use an outboard MPX adapter like the S3MX or any other brand of mpx adapter. Mind you tho, that they DO tend to be upwards of $150. in cases. If you can find a A3mx or S3mx inexpensively, go for it. On the outboard units, the output cable from the tuner to the mpx needs to be as short as possible, but in any case no longer than 3 ft.
Sherwood A3mx Multiplex Adapter.jpg

Thx Larry. I havedone some searching for the mpx adaptor to no avail. Been reading up on them and see the ones to get are the sherwoods. Even see a guy makes them so something to consider. The tuner is actually hooked up to my sansui and it is quite good as it is. Only imagine what stereo will add! I will snap some pics of my setup a bit later. Still working on finding another s1000 before I decide if I will move it to the bedroom or sell it. I know this is pretty neat and hard to find in this condition, but at the same time someone might enjoy it more than me. Tend to be pretty simplistic around here.

What a mess getting this in rotation has been! Picked up a curio cabinet in Chicago for free and decided to put the gear inside. This cabinet is built like a tank and I didnt want to butcher it too badly. The s1000ii is out until another arrives and is checked out. In the meantime we have been enjoying the phono played through the au555a. Plan is to run a line level out from the record out outputs on the sansui into the pair of 1000ii's. Then I can use the sui and sherwoods for our streaming of tidal. The sherroods will then be used alone for vinyl and using the s3000iii.

Attachments

• 0309180743.jpg
    0309180743.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom