Pioneer CT-F7171 Pinch rollers/ idler rollers

Pioneered

I own a Pioneer CT-F7171 for some time now, maybe 20+ years. It's been a very good cassette player and I've never had a problem with it till.............. it started having a hard time Playing, Rew, & FFing, so I figured a belt change was in need and ordered the belts from a fella on eBay. Started with the top half first and replaced the 4 belts there and then tested it, it did just fine. I then flipped it over to change the main drive belt and that is when everything stopped. I blew a 0.8amp fuse, must have grounded something somewhere. Anyway I replaced the fuse and got it running again. But, it has a hard time doing anything, like it's a strain for it and then just kicks off.
The belt on the S16 auto stop switch seemed a bit too tight so I switched with the original and it seemed to work better but, still not correctly. Reckon the idler/ pinch rollers need replacing cause I cleaned them and it was only a little help.
My question for you all is, is there a place I can get replacements for the rollers and or (being that I'm getting tired of banging my head against this thing), is there a good person to send it to, to do the job of getting it running properly again without doing a whole resto on it.
Thank you all in advance for any help! :bowdown:

Try Terry Witt (terrysrubberrollers.com)

Thank you sir, I looked at this site also. Looks to do a great job but, I am really hoping for someone to take over the job
of getting it working properly again. Besides I haven't a clue to the original sizes of the rollers but, I assume one
who is more familiar with these decks will.

I've got all the idlers for a CT-F7272 (I think they are the same) you can have if you send me your address. I just did mine and bought the parts in bulk so I literally have a dozen extras. No pinch rollers though.

Finally got it up and running like new again............well, almost new anyway.
Ordered the capstan tires and better belts from WJOE radio and boy did it make a difference.
Plays, RW's and FF's fine now except I probably need to adjust the FF switch a bit but, it can wait. yessir.gif

I have one of these. Nice decks and very well styled/proportioned.
Have the maching SA-9100/TX9100 and they make a lovely trio.

They make really nice recordings on BASF Chrome without Dolby.

Ooh! SA-9100 with the TX, nice indeed sir. I have the SX-828 tuner and the SR-202W paired with it.
Don't know what I'd do without the Reverb unit, it just seems to make every recording sound much more live per say.
And I've never liked the sound of Dolby, to me it makes it sound like it's been muffled or muted in a sense.
Maybe just my ears but, I always liked crisp high tones along with a substantial bass and Dolby seems to take that away for me.

Well as you all know I replaced the idler tires, capstan tires, all belts and clean the unit. It plays well, rewinds well BUT, it will not FF.
Thought I'd wait till I had more time to check to see why it does that, checked it out today because it seems when I do try several times
to get it to FF it throws the the main belt on the flywheel. Still couldn't figure out why. When I had it apart If I just press lightly on the FF switch it tries and does
FF but, not as fast as it should. And then when I move the switch to it's full position it just jams it seems. If I try it with a tape it wants to throw the belt again
so we aint going there. Granted I don't use FF or hardly ever but, I'm the kind of guy if I know somethings wrong, I need to fix it and won't be happy till I do.
If anyone has any insight or opinions why it's doing this I would appreciate it greatly, thank you for any help.

Okay, if anyone gives a hoot in hell, I was able to find out why and repair the decks FF'ing problem.
Evidently the service man that had his fingers in it years ago (by the service label on the bottom) adjust the tension
on the FF to high and me not having the specialized torque wrench to back it off adjusted the leaf spring tension to match
the tension of the RW which worked perfectly. Now it works flawlessly. Of course now I have a CT-F2121 on it's way.
Reckon I'll just restore it, keep it for parts or turn around and sell it (after restoring it of course) to recoup my money along with the reverb unit.

Got the CT-F2121 in today in one piece even though FedEx delivered it. Someone's little fingers had been in it from the looks of the 4 screws missing and a blown 800ma fuse.
Checked it thoroughly, replaced the fuse and changed the belts out and low in behold she played but, I'll have to order some idlers and pinch rollers for her. I think she'll be a winner
after replacing the missing screws. It was pretty dirty from cig smoke too but, it all came off and she's look'en good. Sorry no pics I got'er put away now but, when I finish'er up
I'll try to remember to take some.

Back
Top Bottom