Great "Every Day Carry" knives

My hot tip for batteries are Japan made 2450mA NiMH ones from IKEA @ $6.99 for (4). They are higher capacity than the Eneloops for ~1/2 $$$. Close to 1 year with them and zero complaints.

Just saw this and will have to investigate. I've been buying Duracell Ion Cores for $12/4 because I've heard that they are relabeled Eneloop XXs. I just bought another Maha C9000 off of BT and have some old Eneloops in it now, the real Sanyo ones that I was buying before you could get good NiMH in stores. Seems like they were a good investment, they have to be at least 6 years old now. And I haven't had any of them leak which is the main reason I started down that road in the first place!

Just saw this and will have to investigate. I've been buying Duracell Ion Cores for $12/4 because I've heard that they are relabeled Eneloop XXs. I just bought another Maha C9000 off of BT and have some old Eneloops in it now, the real Sanyo ones that I was buying before you could get good NiMH in stores. Seems like they were a good investment, they have to be at least 6 years old now. And I haven't had any of them leak which is the main reason I started down that road in the first place!

So far no complaints with the IKEA ones. Just picked up some AAA ones for the remotes as well.

good deal. There's an IKEA up the street from work, I will definitely remember this thread when I need more.

I am right now as I type this cycling all the remote batteries through my "new" C9000 - I wanted to test it out and realized that I hadn't charged up any of the remotes in over a year. So far I have found one Ion Core AA that doesn't terminate charge properly, I'm discharging and recharging that pair to see if I can save them. Yeah I know that leaving cells in remotes for over a year without a recharge is possibly abusive use, mea culpa.

All of the others, both Sanyo Eneloop and Duracell Ion Core are still good. This is possibly one of the best investments I've ever made just for the peace of mind that my stuff won't get leaked on.

Do you carry a "cheap" or "expensive" EDC knife?

I know that doesn't mean the same thing to everyone, so lets say under $50 is cheap and >$100 is expensive.

I own a couple decent folders, but I've also managed to loose a couple knives in the last 20 years, so I'm shy about carrying a blade that cost >$100, or is now out of production and becoming a collector knife. There are so many great knives for bargain prices, there's no need to spend a lot of money unless you really want a particular design or manufacturer.

Currently looking for my OKC Rat 1, which IMHO is one if the best bang for the buck, do-it-all, knives. Thin enough to carry, big enough for self defense, good enough steel. It's borderline too large for a lot of detail work, but the benefits outweigh the negatives. Of course, it's currently MIA. I know exactly where I used it last (in the house), but it's been teleported to parts unknown.

Until I find it, or buy another one, it's a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Nice and thin, great lock, good steel, and a lousy clip. It rides way to high for my taste, and it feels like it's going to come out of my pocket.

I carried a Boker, Wagner-designed, automatic for several years. Lost it for about six month (found it in my company truck, under the seat, wedged between the seat-belt mechanism and the center console). It's in my nightstand these days.

Back in the day, it was a Buck 110 in a belt pouch. Still a really great knife, but it's really heavy for what it does and hard to open quickly.

Yes, there are a bunch of different clips available (try eBay), here`s one I put on my Benchmade 943. It made a BIG difference in both the discretion of the carry, and securing the knife in the pocket.
upload_2018-2-25_15-50-50.png
upload_2018-2-25_15-51-45.png

Yes, there are a bunch of different clips available (try eBay), here`s one I put on my Benchmade 943. It made a BIG difference in both the discretion of the carry, and securing the knife in the pocket.
View attachment 1123820
View attachment 1123822

What Benchmade is that? Looks like a Griptilian with thin scales. I've got a couple Benchmades, and that's my biggest gripe. They are pretty thick compared to Spyderco, and others.

I know, but why do I need to spend another $20-$50 for a clip after I spent $125-$175 on a knife? They should come with that style clip.

I must say, I do love the compression lock.

I know, but why do I need to spend another $20-$50 for a clip after I spent $125-$175 on a knife? They should come with that style clip.

I hear you. I'd rather not have to spend the extra money either.

BTW, I like your avatar. My dad was in the Merchant Marine.

-Dave

What Benchmade is that? Looks like a Griptilian with thin scales. I've got a couple Benchmades, and that's my biggest gripe. They are pretty thick compared to Spyderco, and others.

It`s the Model 943, a Warren Osborne design, carries very easily, it`s only 2.8 ounces.
Here`s a fairly comprehensive review:

The nexus of Spyderco’s design was a working knife for his one handed brother, an electrician irrc. The clip is for easy access. Deep carry makes it harder to retrieve when you’re on your knees. The thumb hole was for one handed opening to save his teeth from more chipping. The imitators had to use the thumb stud to avoid patent infringement. Spyderco’s design was genius and I’m OK with the clip.

Back
Top Bottom