What Fisher Receiver is this in Grey Gardens (1975 documentary)

62caddy

Trust but verify
Subscriber
Receiver appears at 1:15 in the video.

(Film is about an eccentric mother and daughter (aunt and cousin of Jackie Kennedy Onassis) living together in squalid conditions in their dilapidated East Hampton, NY mansion).

I don't believe it's an 800, as the 800 only has three slide switches in the middle, and no headphone jack. By control configuration the unit in the video exactly matches an 800C, but a real 800C is taller and not as wide by aspect ratio. Could it be an 800C but the aspect ratio of the video is all screwed up making it look wider and not as tall?

Dave

Maybe they have that special ANTI Gravity machine that us guys are not to know about.

Update. Pretty sure it's a 500C. You can make out faint dial elements on the glass that rule out the 800C.

gray.jpg

fisher-500-c.jpg

Last edited:
That aspect ratio adjustment really changes the "picture". Thanks! :thumbsup:

Any ideas on the turntable?

Ah the days of automatic return and stacking records! Most TT manufacturers these days, in order to satisfy audiophiles and reduce any external noise interference's getting into the circuitry, put nothing in the TT that isn't required to get audio from the vinyl.

This Grey Gardens clip illustrates how Fisher was the brand of choice for “old money” elites on the East Coast.

By the 70s, the Beales had money issues. But they had enough scratch ten years earlier to buy the 500C.

Last edited:
This Grey Gardens clip illustrates how Fisher was the brand of choice for monied elites on the East Coast.

By the 70s, the Beales had money issues. But they had enough scratch ten years earlier to buy the 500C.

Ironically, Fisher was also based in Long Island during the tube era, probably a bit beyond as well. Many owners would probably find this advantageous for service which would have been a boon for sales locally.

I think the money problems probably set in sometime before the 1970s because by 1972 the house was on the verge of being condemned.

I wonder if the receiver was part of the recent estate sale?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/style/grey-gardens-estate-sale.html

Thanks for the link. I was unaware of this sale.

My guess is that the equipment was probably just tossed along with countless other articles back when the property changed hands in 1979 when an old tube receiver had very little value. However I'd bet Big Edith's old records are still around somewhere.

Last edited:
By the way, the Maysles brothers made some great documentaries. Most have probably seen Gimme Shelter.
Check out Salesman if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
You mean I get to watch Britains Ugliest pair of Lips:yikes: for an hour and a 1/2?????? No Thanks. I'll listen:music: to the LP or Tape!

In "That Thing You Do', extended version, there's scene right up front in the drummers apt. where you see a Heathkit AA-100 amp and i believe the matching heath tuner as well. Looks good.

Back
Top Bottom