Emerson, Lake & Palmer

welcomdmat

Who is most important? Emerson receives a lot of love/ credit. Palmer creates proto-metal drumming. There are times that Lake's vocals work me up like Kingsman cell phones.

What are your thoughts?

This band brings me thrills and new sensations each and every time I listen to them . I think my first purchase was ELPowell and then I got 3 with Emerson Berry and Powell . After that , I got into the Base catalog and I go back to their music as much as any band I listen to .

Thanks Kevin, and thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. I'd have started an Emerson, Lake & Palmer thread myself save for the fact that I'm more of the following and joining along type rather than a leader.

The question at hand, who is most important?
My opinion is that Emerson was by far the catalyst of the band. Without him there is no ELP. Without Lake & Palmer then it's Emerson, Fill In The Blank & Fill In The Blank. Keith was going to make this music regardless of his supporting cast. He was already doing it with The Nice for three years leading to the formation of ELP and he continued creating similar music after the demise of the band.

Greg Lake and Carl Palmer allowed him to fine tune and expand upon what he'd established with the Nice. Of course advanced technology with Moog Synthesizers went a long way toward improving the scope and boundaries of his musical landscape as well.

Would there have been a Lucky Man, From The Beginning, or Still...You Turn Me On without Lake? No. Those were Greg's songs, and that's what he brought to Emerson's music. It drove Emerson up the wall that Greg's ballads were often what people think of when they think of ELP, and that the record company executives always wanted another Lucky Man on every album. Greg's angelic, almost choir boy vocals brought humanity to Keith's technical, electronic bombast. His contributions to longer pieces like Karn Evil 9, Tarkus and Trilogy can't be denied, and they wouldn't be the same without him. Also, he was a brilliant bass player who somehow managed to bring his instrument to the forefront despite the many layers of Emerson's keyboards.

As for Carl Palmer. I'll never say that he is just another drummer. His core jazz sense and overwhelming speed and skill set him apart from all others. But he really didn't write any music that I'm aware of. He contributed thoughts and improved upon passages and got credit where credit was due.

Last edited:
I was given their debut album when I was a young music enthusiast. This would have been around 1993. It wasn't much like anything I had heard. My interest caused the gift of Brain Salad Surgery to a high school sophomore (still, the thinnest/ lightest weight vinyl album I own).

"Toccata" changed my life.

Additionally, "Still ... You turn me On" is a track I find very important.

I fell out of interest for a little bit, and then I saw Rachel Flowers play some of Emerson's parts about 5 or 8 years ago. That visual renewed the magical fascination.

Keith spent a few weeks of downtime after a tour writing the bulk of Tarkus at his home on piano. When they got together again a couple of weeks later he played it for them. Greg and Carl were both in horror. Greg said something to the effect of, "Look man, I can't play this, this isn't what I signed up for. If this is where we're going then I want out." Keith was shocked, but told Greg that if he wanted out he was free to go and Keith would find someone else. They had a long discussion about self-indulgence. Eventually they all agreed that you have be self-indulgent in order to create something new. Greg had a deep appreciation of classical music as did Carl. To that point the music they were doing was much more classically oriented with the debut album and Pictures At An Exhibition. Tarkus was like nothing that had come before it. Keith later admitted that he took inspiration from Frank Zappa when he wrote it. Greg just didn't know what to make of it. He was a balladeer at heart. More of a Paul McCartney type than a John Lennon.

Anyways, they hung together and they worked their way through the material Carl really warmed up to it and found himself in his element. Carl's growing enthusiasm for the piece was critical in keeping ELP from splitting right then and there. Remember, it was Greg Lake who had convinced Carl to leave his comfortable position in Atomic Rooster, so Greg owed him a lot.

047.jpg

I was given their debut album when I was a young music enthusiast. This would have been around 1993. It wasn't much like anything I had heard. My interest caused the gift of Brain Salad Surgery to a high school sophomore (still, the thinnest/ lightest weight vinyl album I own).

"Toccata" changed my life.

Additionally, "Still ... You turn me On" is a track I find very important.

I fell out of interest for a little bit, and then I saw Rachel Flowers play some of Emerson's parts about 5 or 8 years ago. That visual renewed the magical fascination.
Rachel truly is an inspiration. Boundless enthusiasm and talent.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. I was told long ago that I should write a musical bio of ELP here on AK. It just isn't me to take up such a task as I don't think I have the chops for it.

Rachel truly is an inspiration. Boundless enthusiasm and talent.

BTW, thanks for starting this thread. I was told long ago that I should write a musical bio of ELP here on AK. It just isn't me to take up such a task as I don't think I have the chops for it.
Frank I understand your reluctance to undertake such a task but I truly believe that if any among us is up to it that would indeed be you. :)

I had a movie scene here that really seemed to link my excitement with this band.

I would like to see this thread have some durability, and I don't know that the scene added to the health of the conversation.

Last edited:
They were also great showmen -- I saw them in concert in Hamburg (April '73) and it was an amazing show -- come inside, come inside! Only later did I learn that Emerson wasn't just stabbing the keyboard with a knife, but using it to sustain certain keys. The opening act, Stray Dog, was discovered by ELP and was dreadful to the point that the audience booed them (and tossed things) off the stage after just a few songs. I never saw anything like that before or since. A memorable night on all counts.

Back
Top Bottom