ADS-910's

Hey Glenn what happened to the cabinets from Mike's parted 910s? Who is Mike is in this case? One of mine has some dings on the top that will be very hard to steam out fully when I ever get around to refinishing them. And because of the curved corners I would have to inset new veneer, which would be challenging.
Mike is the gent who's 1590's with the rosewood veneer I restored. That's how I got my L980's.
Mike may still have the cabs. His AK handle is mike0565 if you want to shoot him a conversation.

That doesn't surprise me to read that, the brand seemed to be transitioning into more technical advancements in material improvements and crossover design around this time, there are actual Freq Response figures available for all the models, and of course they are always somewhat of a guessing game as to what those numbers actually "sound" like: here is an example:
L 910 specs.
28-20,000 Hz(3db)
18-25,000 (5db)
4 ohms
6 ohm typical
150w rms
----------------------------
980 specs
Freq Resp 37 - 27000 Hz 3db
8 ohms nom.
1-19mm 0.075 woven soft dome, wet wound,
64 lbs
Crossovers 450hz and 5000hz high efficiency tight tolerance design with 12db/octave slopes
Tweeter Level control o and -1.5 db.
Biampable terminals
15.1" wide x 26.8" high x 13.2 deep
---------------------------
As the specs show, the 910's bass goes deeper, and in person, amazingly deep. When I'm seriously cranking them, my neighbor told me he felt it in his kitchen and some dishes were vibrating in the cabinets!
The 980's high end is a bit better, which I attribute to the newer drivers designs, and the bass is also outstanding and deep, just not as deep as the 910's.

Specs may go deeper on rhe 910, however the 980 does do fast and hard, especially when biamped, making for Pleasent experience as well,though probably not fair if me to compare a stock 910 against The 980 biamped given one is a single woofer design. Ive also biamped the 2030, and 1590/2. Soon to have the 910 biamped one the cards arrive, though i do not "expect" them to do anything other than what they do, it likely will not be the same performance as the others. For sure all the dual woofers cleannup substancially when biamped. It always impresses me when reading the back of an LP and see the 910 listed as the monitor used in the studio. As it shares the same mid and tweet as the 710 and 810, i can see why they sound similar. Which is why i will do the surround sound with them, albeit temporary. Pretty fond of the current Chapman setup. I will use the program setting on the c-2000 set to 500 hz

Last edited:
Glenn, that patch is in the realm of super nerdy cool for us audio geeks.

I think if I had such a patch, I would find an old blue blazer from Goodwill and have it lightly sewn on the pocket so you will look all official and such at any next audio gathering. :beatnik:

We need an emoji with nerdy glasses, the beatnik is about as close as we have for now.

NOTE: Glenn, since I recently picked up two pair of L910's, I thought I would go back through this thread and WHOA! You need to do some serious maintenance and clean up your picture posts. Through page 11 and the only pics now showing are from Dru. All of your externally linked pics are gone with your expired account. This is another poster child example of why to NOT use externally hosted pics and just post them to the AK forum.

Last edited:
Glenn, that patch is in the realm of super nerdy cool for us audio geeks.

I think if I had such a patch, I would find an old blue blazer from Goodwill and have it lightly sewn on the pocket so you will look all official and such at any next audio gathering. :beatnik:

We need an emoji with nerdy glasses, the beatnik is about as close as we have for now.

NOTE: Glenn, since I recently picked up two pair of L910's, I thought I would go back through this thread and WHOA! You need to do some serious maintenance and clean up your picture posts. Through page 11 and the only pics now showing are from Dru. All of your externally linked pics are gone with your expired account. This is another poster child example of why to NOT use externally hosted pics and just post them to the AK forum.
Hey Audio,
The patch is way cool. Being so rare, I probably will leave it as is, though I dig the blazer idea. There's an ADS group on Facebook. There's a gent who's making very nice pins.
4 910's playing at once must sound incredible!
Regarding the pics, yeah I know I need to go through the whole thing and delete and replace all the pics, a real PITA!
FYI-There is a browser patch that fixes the PB blocking, for now. I downloaded it for Firefox and it works great. Google photobucket image restore and you'll see it. Works for multiple browsers.

Specs may go deeper on rhe 910, however the 980 does do fast and hard, especially when biamped, making for Pleasent experience as well,though probably not fair if me to compare a stock 910 against The 980 biamped given one is a single woofer design. Ive also biamped the 2030, and 1590/2. Soon to have the 910 biamped one the cards arrive, though i do not "expect" them to do anything other than what they do, it likely will not be the same performance as the others. For sure all the dual woofers cleannup substancially when biamped. It always impresses me when reading the back of an LP and see the 910 listed as the monitor used in the studio. As it shares the same mid and tweet as the 710 and 810, i can see why they sound similar. Which is why i will do the surround sound with them, albeit temporary. Pretty fond of the current Chapman setup. I will use the program setting on the c-2000 set to 500 hz
Bass output on my 910's is fast and hard and deeper, (the beauty of two 10 inch woofers) than the 980's. 980's kick ass no question.

Bass output on my 910's is fast and hard and deeper, (the beauty of two 10 inch woofers) than the 980's. 980's kick ass no question.
"The beauty of two 10 inch woofers"
2 makes it faster? Automatically, accross the board? Or just the 910?

Like the bass speed on the l1590 as well! Best friend has same response on the 910''s. 810''s are quick as well just not as fast as 1590''s or 910's. I have found as 5 of my friends have , Biamping is the bomb on these speakers (correctly done ie: external xover). Really brings out the best in these speakers.

Like the bass speed on the l1590 as well! Best friend has same response on the 910''s. 810''s are quick as well just not as fast as 1590''s or 910's. I have found as 5 of my friends have , Biamping is the bomb on these speakers (correctly done ie: external xover). Really brings out the best in these speakers.

810s (dual 7" woofers) are not quite as fast or tight as 880s (single 9.5" woofer), I'll say that right now from my A/B comaprisons between the two. That said, pretty much all the other ADS dual woofer speakers I've heard (1230, 1290, and M12) seem to be very fast and tight. Personally I think ADS learned from the 810 design and refined the low end output in later designs. Just a guess though.

Last edited:
P.S. Don't get me wrong I am beginning to love the way the 810s sound, I have been listening to them straight on for 3 days now, after my A/B comparison last weekend, and they sound terrific. 880s may be a little cleaner low end but the 810s really do punch AND they have a liquid midrange that's to die for.

Once your ears get acclamented to this sound (as mine did) it just leaves me speachless. I loved the 810''s but when I found the l1590''s, holy crap it a different level of sound completely. Beware though they are very source dependent ie: week source equal week sound good source hold, on to something cause it will knock you over.

I've had two pairs of 1290s and loved them, probably my favorite of all the ADS I've owned. Never had the good fortune to own a pair of 1590s. There was a pair for sale a couple years back about 3 hours away from me for $500(!) but I waited too long on them and they sold out from under me. Still kicking myself...

I have a pair of 910 stands kicking around, would it make sense to cut them down 2.5 inches and use them for a pair of Klipsch KP-250's? I posted this here because you might have a better understanding of placing speakers this way.

There are quite a few 910 owners that don't have stands and would probably be very pleased to buy them from you. Since they are somewhat rare my suggestion is to sell them and use the money to buy a nice pair of speaker stands appropriate for your Klipsch speakers.
John

I have a pair of 910 stands kicking around, would it make sense to cut them down 2.5 inches and use them for a pair of Klipsch KP-250's? I posted this here because you might have a better understanding of placing speakers this way.
You can sell em for more than the stands you really want for your speakers. But why would you need to cut them down. Just mount the locating nuts in the speaker where the stands would work for you.

I would just need to cut the cross bar down so the stands are tight to the speakers, right now there would an inch and a quarter gap on each side. I have the fitment figured out was looking more for an answer as to the benefit of mounting them that way.

I probably should have rebuilt the 910's but this was a long time ago, no internet and ebay to source parts.

Back
Top Bottom