Searching for the definitive answer on W70D surrounds

mccalljd

I am restoring some W70Ds I got for $50. The cloth surrounds on the 12 inch woofers are porous and appear to have never been doped. Is this correct for an acoustic suspension speaker? Did Wharfedale purposely not dope the surrounds on these? The eight inch surrounds are rubber. Looking at other threads, I don't see any kind of consensus on this question.

I have had more Wharfedale W70s and W60s than you can shake a stick at. They purposely did not dope the cloth surrounds. They did apparently use felt surrounds in a previous incarnation of their 12 and 15 inch woofers and in their supertweeter. I'll bet those are a bear to replace.

So today's lesson is... don't dope.

I have had more Wharfedale W70s and W60s than you can shake a stick at. They purposely did not dope the cloth surrounds. They did apparently use felt surrounds in a previous incarnation of their 12 and 15 inch woofers and in their supertweeter. I'll bet those are a bear to replace.

So today's lesson is... don't dope.
Thanks. Since I saw no evidence of deteriorated material flaking off of the surrounds, my assumption was they did it on purpose, but this just confirms it. I will leave them alone. Thanks, again. Any tips on restoring them, inside or out? My biggest concern is the cabinet. One has a quarter sized gouge chopped out of it 1/8 inch deep. Trying to figure out how to lay in an irregular shaped piece of veneer in there and make it look acceptable. And, of course, the purple tweeters are toast, but I am hoping I can reattach the aluminum wires with a patch of copper. Waiting on some aluminum solder to give it a a whirl. If not, what makes a suitable replacement?

Back
Top Bottom