Moore lay offs & bad news at Gibson ....Is the end near?

People don't want to take the time to learn to play musical instruments any more. Too bad.

They’ve never been known to be the best run company in Nashville. I’ve had a few acquaintances and friends work for them and did business with Gibson at one of my jobs, and no one had great experiences.

I have very mixed feelings about Gibson. They've been screwed but they've screwed other people too.
This little blurb from one of the articles:
Gibson began making guitars in 1894. Its popular Les Paul electric, which debuted in 1952, is one of the bestselling guitars of all time and has been used by legendary musicians like Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and Pete Townshend.
True, but a lot of those musicians moved on to other guitars.
They forgot Jeff Beck and Slash BTW, :eek:........................................... and Buckethead?!!! :wtf:

Onkyo, Stanton,Cakewalk,Neat, KRK? What do these companies have to do with building great guitars? .....NOTHING! That is why Gibson is hemorrhaging debt along with making over priced guitars of questionable quality control that feature robotic tuners and PCB boards.
Gibson is a company that has forgotten what made them iconic.

PQ

Yeah I read an article recently that went over the terrible management decisions Gibson made. Some of them were unbelievably stupid.

People don't want to take the time to learn to play musical instruments any more. Too bad.

There is some of this, but there are still a lot of people learning instruments. To me it is more the same thing you see with a lot of other hobby products that exploded with the baby boomer generation - that generation has stopped buying things at the same rate, and younger generations have different tastes. They don't want their fathers guitar.

They need to divest themselves of all non - guitar related businesses, not their experienced employees. They have recently come out with a couple of great pre-war model acoustic guitars. They could compete with Martin if they pursued this. Just another example of Evil Management.

They need to divest themselves of all non - guitar related businesses, not their experienced employees. They have recently come out with a couple of great pre-war model acoustic guitars. They could compete with Martin if they pursued this. Just another example of Evil Management.

I agree totally!
Gibson like Martin strengths are in tradition and history.
Martin gets it,,,Gibson does not.
One look at how successful the Martin CEO 7 has been, shows they are most successful when innovating with one eye on history.
As one reviewer said the CEO 7 is the guitar Martin never built in the 1930's but should have!

PQ

I worked there in early 1998. Needless to say, I have stories to tell.

As for guitars, people are certainly learning the instrument, but as others have opined, there are literally dozens of great options under 700 or so bucks.

Not everyone needs a $4000 tiger striped Les Paul (except me and Ron, aka Northwinds, lol)

Gibson makes some great acoustic guitars as well, but to get one that equals my Martin is easily 50-100% more money. It just doesn't make sense as a guitarist if you're on any kind of budget.

Taylor and Martin have been getting the guitar thing right for a while now. Keep the super high end, but make $700-2000 guitars that play and sound great.

I'm curious if Larivee and Breedlove are going to last.

Cheers
Nathan

I worked there in early 1998. Needless to say, I have stories to tell.
Well, please do tell. We like stories.
As for guitars, people are certainly learning the instrument, but as others have opined, there are literally dozens of great options under 700 or so bucks.
Not everyone needs a $4000 tiger striped Les Paul (except me and Ron, aka Northwinds, lol)
Unlike the junk we had to struggle with back in the day a student can get a quality instrument that's very playable and sounds really good for under $200.

I was thinking of thinning the herd. May as well keep them for another decade. Maybe they will go out of business and the stuff will appreciate in value;)

Never bought a new Gibson or Fender (except for a 50's Tribute with a broken neck). Plenty of great guitars out there for a lot less scratch.

I absolutely had to have a real Gibson LP Standard in Cherry Sunburst. Picked up one used that looked like NOS for about 1/3 of a new one, and it's not made from two or three pieces of mahogany, either.

Back
Top Bottom