What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

If I have the time, even with an acquaintance, I'll put it this way, "Physically, mentally or spiritually? But it's gonna run fifteen mins on the one you choose."

I get the look, and "Wellllll..." that drifts off into kinda of a soft murmur. I just smile and go on with me day.

Q

Beware of truecars.com

I was shopping around for Honda CRV prices, decided what the heck, I'll checkout the services thru truecars.com, signed up, divulged the required contact info and within 5 minutes of surfing around the pricing, I get a call from a local Honda dealer.

Bad on me for not reading the fine print - did not think that my personal info would be blasted out to local dealers. Argh....

I... I think that's literally the purpose of that site.

Must be getting grumpier every day, but I've learned to hate the continual sales type/cashier person/greeter, etc. with the "How are you today?"

The other day, I replied to one gal after this question going through the line up with, "Do you really care?"

In a prior life when I worked in retail I had a customer answer that way and I really wished I'd been free to say "Yes, it would have been nice to know before walking up to you that you were in an a-hole mood. I'd have stayed over there."

We weren't required to use a specific greeting but there just aren't that many greetings you can use with a complete stranger. "My, that is a large wart you have" doesn't quite fly.

Hour after hour in a sales type/cashier person/greeter job can be mind numbing torture. Any contact with a pleasant person from the outside world is a great thing. I'm still surprised that when I answer and then ask how they are doing it seems to stun them. I doubt any of them dreamed of this job when they were kids, I'd rather throw them off with friendliness.

Beware of truecars.com

I was shopping around for Honda CRV prices, decided what the heck, I'll checkout the services thru truecars.com, signed up, divulged the required contact info and within 5 minutes of surfing around the pricing, I get a call from a local Honda dealer.

Bad on me for not reading the fine print - did not think that my personal info would be blasted out to local dealers. Argh....

It is a bit like the car dealer sites that have the 'live help' where it isn't someone at the dealership but a service they pay to collect contact information.
I was shopping for a car once and made the mistake of seeing if the live help could answer a question about a car in their inventory and got the "can I get your name and number in case we get disconnected". I quickly pulled up a competitors site and grabbed the contact information for one of their sales people and gave it to them. The next morning dealer #1 was going to call dealer #2 about the car.

Having to repeat myself! And automated phone 'Help' systems. Detest them.

Or when someone walks by and says something in the background and the automated system hears it and routes you based on it.

In a prior life when I worked in retail I had a customer answer that way and I really wished I'd been free to say "Yes, it would have been nice to know before walking up to you that you were in an a-hole mood. I'd have stayed over there."

We weren't required to use a specific greeting but there just aren't that many greetings you can use with a complete stranger. "My, that is a large wart you have" doesn't quite fly.

Hour after hour in a sales type/cashier person/greeter job can be mind numbing torture. Any contact with a pleasant person from the outside world is a great thing. I'm still surprised that when I answer and then ask how they are doing it seems to stun them. I doubt any of them dreamed of this job when they were kids, I'd rather throw them off with friendliness.

First time called an "a-hole" on AK, but guess there's gotta be a first time for everything, eh?

I really didn't know that retail people are mandated to ask this question, as in they have no recourse in avoiding it. To my way of thinking, I was trying to engage the gal with a question in return. I remember I had a grin on my face and and if you reread my post, you will find that it ended in laughter on both sides.

Sorry for your stint in this area of endeavour, and if you want to swap stories of "numbing torture" in our past jobs off line, we can delve into this.

Also, don't be so quick to snap judge other members as I felt you have...least until you get to know us...even then we are careful what we share on line!

Q

Last edited:
I dont think he was targeting you specifically.He just related his expirences with dealing with the general public in a retail enviorment.

When I order Fish and Chips at the local dinner, the next question is always "do you want fries with that"!

I dont think he was targeting you specifically.He just related his expirences with dealing with the general public in a retail enviorment.
If I run into a particularly grumpy cashier, I always say "Smile - it could be worse." It usually gets a positive response of some sort, but this one young lady checker at the grocery store was not impressed, and said, "How's that?" I smiled and said, "Well, you could be pregnant!"

She looked up at me, frowned, and said, "I AM!! That's why I'm so grumpy!!" I put my hands in the air, said, "You win!" and started to walk away. She cracked a little smile, and said, "I'm sorry". I replied, "No need to apologize. My wife is pregnant, too, so I understand. You get a free pass!!"

I´m 52 and have worked with my hands all my life; and I´m not stupid, but putting together this rack/table or whatever it´s called is driving me crazy!

I have NEVER seen such terrible assembly "instructions". There are so many mistakes, and so many steps are just omitted, it´s ridiculous.

The pictures are just sketches and the individual parts are not labeled, and even the dimensions of the parts are not noted.

The 3 parts labeled "B" are NOT identical; the parts labeled "G" are identical but they must be a mirrored version of each other.

Notice the parts list at the bottom right; there are no dimensions listed and the idividual parts don´t even have a sticker on them "A", "B", "C" and so on.

Rant over...resized_20180310_131415.jpg resized_20180310_131423.jpg resized_20180310_131441.jpg

I´m 52 and have worked with my hands all my life; and I´m not stupid, but putting together this rack/table or whatever it´s called is driving me crazy!

I have NEVER seen such terrible assembly "instructions". There are so many mistakes, and so many steps are just omitted, it´s ridiculous.

The pictures are just sketches and the individual parts are not labeled, and even the dimensions of the parts are not noted.

The 3 parts labeled "B" are NOT identical; the parts labeled "G" are identical but they must be a mirrored version of each other.

Notice the parts list at the bottom right; there are no dimensions listed and the idividual parts don´t even have a sticker on them "A", "B", "C" and so on.

Rant over...

Did it at least come with its own Allen key?

Rant over...View attachment 1134281 View attachment 1134282 View attachment 1134283
Dog from Ikea.jpg

No problem. We went to dinner this evening. Every response from the server included “No problem”. She was pleasant and did an acceptable job, but I only noticed one or two minor problems, only one of which was her use of the praise No problem. Considering that we were at Red Lobster I would even have preferred a cheesy ‘Aye, Aye matey!”

I think “No problem” has been mentioned before in this thread, but sheesh! Enough already!

No problem. We went to dinner this evening. Every response from the server included “No problem”. She was pleasant and did an acceptable job, but I only noticed one or two minor problems, only one of which was her use of the praise No problem. Considering that we were at Red Lobster I would even have preferred a cheesy ‘Aye, Aye matey!”

I think “No problem” has been mentioned before in this thread, but sheesh! Enough already!
I don't mind "no problem". I use it myself, although hopefully not to excess. All it conveys to me is a cheerful willingness to serve, and really, what more can you ask for, especially at a Red Lobster?

Now if you want to get me going, we can discuss "I could care less". Yech.

I don't mind "no problem". I use it myself, although hopefully not to excess. All it conveys to me is a cheerful willingness to serve, and really, what more can you ask for, especially at a Red Lobster?

Now if you want to get me going, we can discuss "I could care less". Yech.
My sister and my pastor both use that phrase! UGH!!! I want to correct my sister every time she does it.

Rant over...View attachment 1134281 View attachment 1134282 View attachment 1134283
What's a VibroShaper? :idea:

Back
Top Bottom