Denon DP80

Found a drive unit locally but ended up having to go to Japan for a plinth, the waiting game begins. Hopefully it arrives intact, I've seen some of the horror stories. Arm is TBD. I have an AudioMods V that I think could be a good match, but at this time not ruling out investing in something a bit longer.

Good luck with the table. I have a 75 on my radar. Very nice tables. I just have to decide if I want to sell my DP-59L to fund the purchase. Let us know how it goes.

Legrace I'm sure you are aware that if the DP-80 doesn't come with one you will need a step down transformer 120v to 100v. Too bad there wasn't any plinths available locally in the US.

Well, if I can't get my DP75 fixed (runaway speed problem--my tech thought he could fix it, but it has been a year so time to get it back and try someone else!) I have one of the big DK2000 double arm plinths . . .

Good luck with the table. I have a 75 on my radar. Very nice tables. I just have to decide if I want to sell my DP-59L to fund the purchase. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Sturgus. Looks like I'm headed for an all vintage DD future. I have one BD in my current mix, but have a couple complaints with it. Admittedly its only a mid tier model and going up the range would address the negatives, but a TOTL belt drive like the Rega RP10 is more money then I care to part with. Consequently more and more I find myself defaulting to vintage options.

majick47 - thanks, yes well aware.

To some this idea may be heresy, Legrace — but I use my DP80 with NO plinth. Here's a snapshot...

IMG_2533.jpg

The arm is a Syrinx PU3. (The gizmo to the right of the arm-bearing is a VTA adjuster I'm experimenting with; I copped it from a Zeiss lab microscope). Your Audiomods arm will be fine — yes, a longer arm has some advantages (and disadvantages) and looks better on this TT due to its large diameter — I want one too, but it's not a necessary expense.

You can try yours "plinthless" if you like — the TT's bottom is flat and stands firmly on its own, as the pic shows. I like the minimalist look, a friend calls it "Starship Enterprise". Some may hate it. It also takes up far less space.

Another heresy: it doesn't NEED a plinth. A plinth does NOT dampen resonances, it's just an easy way to mount tonearms — and it's "traditional", some people like traditional.

If you want to try it, you'll need to make an armboard. Real easy. I made mine in about 45 minutes. You can only see a bit of it peeking out, 60% is hidden by the flange, where it's secured to the TT with absolute rigidity. If you want to experiment, I can send you the armboard template.

Last edited:
To some this idea may be heresy, Legrace — but I use my DP80 with NO plinth. Here's a snapshot...

View attachment 1115021

The arm is a Syrinx PU3. (The gizmo to the right of the arm-bearing is a VTA adjuster I'm experimenting with; I copped it from a Zeiss lab microscope). Your Audiomods arm will be fine — yes, a longer arm has some advantages (and disadvantages) and looks better on this TT due to its large diameter — I want one too, but it's not a necessary expense.

You can try yours "plinthless" if you like — the TT's bottom is flat and stands firmly on its own, as the pic shows. I like the minimalist look, a friend calls it "Starship Enterprise". Some may hate it. It also takes up far less space.

Another heresy: it doesn't NEED a plinth. A plinth does NOT dampen resonances, it's just an easy way to mount tonearms — and it's "traditional", some people like traditional.

If you want to try it, you'll need to make an armboard. Real easy. I made mine in about 45 minutes. You can only see a bit of it peeking out, 60% is hidden by the flange, where it's secured to the TT with absolute rigidity. If you want to experiment, I can send you the armboard template.
I think it looks pretty cool.....

Wow thanks. That actually looks pretty sharp. Would most definitely love to have a copy of your template. When the plinth finally does arrive nice to know I could also sell it on if I so choose. Always better to have options!

Would most definitely love to have a copy of your template.
Will do. It'll take a few days to get to it. As mentioned, really easy. I used a scrap piece of MDF, cut a curve, drilled a hole, and sprayed it black. Obviously some calculations were involved, eg pivot-to-spindle distance, but not difficult. The template was made for the Syrinx, but by lucky happenstance also fits a Linn Ittok. Your Audiomods might need the hole to move 1mm or 3, and maybe a different diameter (Rega base, right?) and that'll be up to you.

MDF was just convenient, but "sounds" fine, and very little of it shows so Krylon basic black looks ok. Like you, I'll be fitting a 12" arm soon, and I have some gorgeously grained Brazilian hardwood for that, because more of it shows — but it's an indulgent touch of luxury, not a necessity. And who knows, it may clash with the DP80's perfect spartan look.

Anyway, I'll send you the template as soon as I can get to it. At least you can mount the arm and play the turntable while waiting for the plinth from Japan.

Yes, it really is gorgeous. I don't like the big flange so much (it isn't ugly, just big) but it's necessary, it hides all the control circuitry — Form meets Function. It doesn't need an outboard power supply/control unit with a fat umbilical, like my DQX-1000 has. The DQX is a little more sleek, but that outboard box is a hassle, and you have to find a place to put it. And I hate the feet on the DQX — the DP80, as I have mine set up, doesn't need feet, it just seems to "float" in space. And it takes up so little space.

Will you use your Audiomods arm?

Will you use your Audiomods arm?

That's the current plan. In terms of your mini plinth assume it attaches to the 2 rearmost attachment points and maybe has an inner arc matching the body across that distance? Which would anchor it tightly. Keen to try out something like that out.

Closing the loop re how things turned out in the end...

When the plinth first arrived from Japan my initial reaction was shock. Shock at the size of the shipper. Double boxed maybe? No, simply put, the DK-110 is freaking huge. o_O

Here it is with everything mounted, incl the new armboard I prepped for the AudioMods V. Adjacent is a Dual 721, lending perspective to my comment above.

Denon next to Dual.JPG

How does it sound? :eek2:

Been an interesting journey. Started out with a "needs to last me to the rest of my days" BD model in which I invested a lot of dollars in upgrades, but could never quite seem to get dialed in the way I wanted. Now its 3 x DD models and a feeling I've finally arrived. Appreciate the other two, but the Denon is the undisputed :king:

Back
Top Bottom