Help With Stylus Types

Rob_Feature

Rob Feature
I've owned a few turntables over the years but every time I've had to buy a new stylus I've either bought a cartridge at the same time, or just rebought the same stylus I already had (or I told the seller my cart and they basically told me which stylus I could buy). My problem is I don't quite understand how to match a stylus with a cartridge to ensure they're compatible (I'm talking more about "they actually fit together" not as much about "this stylus sounds best with this cart"...although that would be next-level)

I'm wondering if there are x-amount of stylus types just like there are 2 types of cartridge mounts. If so, what are the different types called?

I'm basically wondering if you have a particular cartridge and couldn't find any info on it, how would you be able to purchase a stylus that would work with it? I think maybe I'm looking for terminology to understand the different types of stylus (and how they connect/attach to a cartridge).

I feel I explained all that poorly...hoping someone understands what I mean and can bail me out :). Thanks in advance!

If you can't find any information on a particular cartridge, post the model number or a photo here and you will get the help you need...:)

In general you need to know the model of your cartridge. Then you look for the replacement stylus for that model or an upgrade. IE Shure M95ed cartridge. Stylus is Shure N95ed an upgrade would be a N91he. The basic stylus shapes from least to best are Conical, Elliptical, Hyperelliptical, Line Contact. Basically.

In general you need to know the model of your cartridge. Then you look for the replacement stylus for that model or an upgrade. IE Shure M95ed cartridge. Stylus is Shure N95ed an upgrade would be a N91he. The basic stylus shapes from least to best are Conical, Elliptical, Hyperelliptical, Line Contact. Basically.

I think you mean N95HE

So far, you are going about it the easiest way, either buying an OEM replacement or asking your vendor or going to on-line vendors and giving the model number of your cart. For most carts, there are multiple options, but they are of different size/shape/quality/sonic signature, and ultimately price.

HE (Hyper Eliptical), VL /Vivid Line), Shibata, Micro Ridge, ML (MicroLine)... one of these shapes is best from my opinion.

Thanks everyone. So overall what I'm hearing is: There is no standard set of stylus 'attachment types' (ie. how the stylus attaches to the cart). I pretty much have to get the model of the cart, and then either look it up or ask a vendor..yeah? I really asked this question because when I had my TT serviced last year they put a cart on that I haven't seen a model number on (yet) and I'm afraid to remove it (since my current setup 'mostly works')...so I was hoping for a shortcut without removing it and looking for a model number.

This is all great info, though..thanks.

Yeah, so here's what they put on...I just went ahead and removed it and as I suspected, no model info at all on the cart. Just something generic, eh? I know the popular answer here is to get a new cart/stylus combo, but I've blown SO much money recently I'd love to just get a stylus for now. So how do I match it without a model name?
IMG_6758.JPG

Looks like an Audio Technica. The model number should be on the top of the cartridge body.

Yeah, it does look like another AT cart I have...but there's no number on this one at all. Just says "made in Japan". I'm thinking I'm going to bite the bullet and just pop for an M97xE and be done with it. It seems like lots of people like that with my Marantz 6200 and it also seems like it would be good to have a popular cart so it's easy to get support and a new stylus since I am bound to damage another one :)

(this whole thing started because I bumped the arm and it bent the stylus down a bit which is causing some distortion in the inner sections of the record)

That is an AT 3600....an entry level conical stylus type. Good performer for the money, but due to the stylus profile...a bit noisy.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Shure cartridge, so this one will go in a box with a couple others I have...someday I may use them for something and it'll be good to know what it is.

I think when they repaired my turntable they put this on and forgot to charge me for it...so hey, good to know it was a decent one for free :)

I like to think that there is a different stylus for every sound and usage....

Then of course what sound do you prefer?? Do you want the piano in the music to sound like it does on FM radio or how an actual piano sounds in reality ?? Do you want frequencies subdued or dramatic??? Certain styli sound better playing decades old originals than the supposed better styli. But just like always, what is generally deemed the best is often not the case. It’s what matches the phono stage as far as impendece then how your amp and speakers interact when creating your own sound.

Thanks for the info. I just ordered the Shure cartridge, so this one will go in a box with a couple others I have...someday I may use them for something and it'll be good to know what it is.

I think when they repaired my turntable they put this on and forgot to charge me for it...so hey, good to know it was a decent one for free :)

If you think that Shure M97xE have nice and pleasure sound, this is pretty correct if we look on users opinions but it does not mean it will sound good on your system. It depends on many more details then on appearance or opinions. I can afford it because I have a highly customizable phono preamplifier and a whole customizable sound system. You need to think on that things before buying specific cartridge. I wish you luck.

Was there a problem with your old cartridge that required them to change it? I wonder what the old cart was. I'd hate to think your repair shop switched out a functioning Shure V15 or something for that.

Was there a problem with your old cartridge that required them to change it? I wonder what the old cart was. I'd hate to think your repair shop switched out a functioning Shure V15 or something for that.
Yeah, I was starting to get some minor distortion after the needle was 'riding lower' than previously (I had bumped it a couple weeks back and am just now realizing that it sounds different). They didn't take off a good cart..it was an AT-type, something similar to what they put back on. (plus they gave me back the old one)

If you think that Shure M97xE have nice and pleasure sound, this is pretty correct if we look on users opinions but it does not mean it will sound good on your system.
Yeah, I did some research and everyone with a Marantz 6200/6300 (which is what I have) say they love the Shure with that TT and tonearm. So I think it's a good choice...I just didn't want to spend the money if I didn't have to...but I think it's probably the right choice.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Not to be a "thread crapper", but I still have yet to figure out why everyone immediately jumps to the Shure M97xE? Yes, it is popular, yes it is cheap,yes it tracks well and yes it works on "most" TT/arm combinations, but with the stock stylus, it is perhaps the most "bland" sounding cart that I own. Lower end is just sort of there with no punch or authority, and the highs are lazy and rolled-off. It does many things "acceptably", but nothing "spectacularly".

I have been told (but not yet experienced) that aftermarket upgraded styli can make all the difference in the world. I only paid $80 for my M97xE brand new from a dealer (on sale) a while back, mounted it up and was totally underwhelmed. I contemplated going the JICO SAS or NeoSAS stylus upgrade, but those are in the ~$200 range--now I'd have ~$250-300 total investment in an $80 cart/stylus--so back in the box and in the drawer until I figure out what I want to do.

I have 3 A/T 440MLa and 2 A/T 440MLb carts, the most expensive still coming in at $200 or less (each/new) and just snagged a half dozen replacement styli (OEM new) for $180 (total).

Ortofon and Grado also offer carts in these price ranges. I have owned Grados and liked them, but am not an Ortofon fan, so I will recuse myself from any discussion regarding them.

Sorry for the rant, but this is something that has just been bugging me for a while now--months, if not a year.

Not to be a "thread crapper", but I still have yet to figure out why everyone immediately jumps to the Shure M97xE?
I think this kind of thing is valuable...but I think you also have to understand there's different audiences, and a zillion different levels of vinyl listener. I think I'm a case where the Shure cart is probably a perfect match, although you obviously aren't. But that's because we have much different priorities when buying a new cartridge.

I'm a 42 year old guy with kids. I'm not sure what your current life situation is...but kids are expensive :) Despite the fact that I pretty much ONLY listen to vinyl (4-5 hours a day and constantly am buying/selling it), I'm able, but not willing, to pour $200+ into a cartridge. I'm cheap and I've got other priorities. All of my audio gear is vintage...but I've never paid more than about $75 for any component (I got my Marantz 6200 for $40 and put some money in to fix it up). I buy everything from thrift stores and recap/replace components as needed to get them up to my acceptable range. I'd LOOOOVE to go out and drop a couple grand on high quality vintage stuff...but my house, my kids, our vacations together, etc, are higher on my list.

I also don't have a huge background in audiophile gear. I know what I read online when I have a break at work. I don't really spend a ton of time researching.

So...the Shure is a perfect match for me. I wanted something popular and 'known'. I want a general consensus on 'this is pretty good', I don't want to risk popping $200+ for a cart only to find out that it's not a perfect match for my hodge-podge system. I want the highest chance that I'll be satisfied at the most reasonable price.

Is the M97xE the best cart for me? Almost certainly not. Is it in my price range, easy to find a new stylus for (when me or my kids break this one), and easy to find specs/setup/discussions about? Absolutely. Has it gotten high enough reviews for me to trust that it'll fit my needs. I think it has.

So...I appreciate the rant. But just realize that not everyone wants or needs 'the best'. Sometimes they need something that fits their situation well. In this case...I'm hoping it's the right choice.

Back
Top Bottom