MX150 time to integrate HT

Velocityboat

I picked up a MX150 to run the main system. I have been itching for this several years. They were not reasonable to find until recently and since @twiiii loves his MX151. I have come to trust and respect his opinion. In McIntosh line arrays and amps

Picked one up for not much more than my Lynforf TDAI2200, my first forray into room correction and RoomPerfect.

I plan to update firmware to latest MX151 sans glass it is then identical.
Current plan for an all HT McIntosh. MC1000s driving XR290 front mains XXL ghost center. Leave the XR19s set XXL as rears with bridged MC7106 gives 320WPC. Introduce the HT3 ad sides. Those are 4 ohm use the other 2 channels of MC7106 for sides capable of 170 WPC. Unsure of mounting HT3 as wall or ceiling. Any opinions there?

Anyone know if setting MX150 for second area for my pool system requires extra hardware besides Amp?

I hope i can get as good as two channel with MX150 as Lyndorf did as pre. I may miss using DAC to drive MC1000s. Was going to up grade to Yggdrasil until reading some performance tests on Audio Science Review so dove on a MX150. Decided the Yggy was not going to buy much over the Emotiva DC-1 after comparing the two in performance tests. So McIntosh all the way it is for Pre 2 channel and HT.

Time to study Twiiii’s MX151 thread for more schooling. Now I got a Lyngdorf to repurpose. XRT20 RoomPerfect for bedroom system or pool amp integration of the sub delay times and crossover. Decisions and experimenting. Half the fun.

I am very curious to here your review of the MX150 once you have it installed and set up.

I've been eyeballing them for the past year now that prices have dropped. An MX150 is essentially the same price as an MEN220 on the used market and it does so much more.

-Matt

I am very curious to here your review of the MX150 once you have it installed and set up.

I've been eyeballing them for the past year now that prices have dropped. An MX150 is essentially the same price as an MEN220 on the used market and it does so much more.

-Matt
The MX-150 seems to be a hidden value gem on paper. I plan to do a head to head competition in two channel mode with the Lyngdorf TDAI2200 as a preamp with Room Perfect and external DC-1 Stealth DAC. That combination with XR290 and MC1000s is one of the most revealing live performance or studio sound ,I have heard anywhere. The only thing that might lightly edges it out is IDS-25 speakers and a D1100 in a large room , which is only at lower volume levels.

I do wish the MX150 had digital out coming off the Room Perfect like the Lyngdorf does which allows digital volume control by the power supply. If I am less than thrilled wit the DAC in MX150 i will try analog feed in with my existing DAC for two channel. My fallback if current set up wins in two channel will be using Lyndorf with HT pass through. The RP TI equibit chips do amazing job with A to D room correction then D to A which is standard Lyngdorf design like MEN220 licenses.

I am sure the MX-150 with 6 channel room perfect will be no competition for the current MAC-3, which only the front channels have been getting RP on a Lyngdorf pass through.

As much as I like the MX121, the internal DAC is it's weak point. That can be easily remedied though :) Just make sure to select "Pure Direct Mode" to bypass the digital circuitry of the MX150 when hooking up the external DAC. I'm presuming the DAC in the MX150 is the same as the MX121.

Enjoy a great purchase.

As much as I like the MX121, the internal DAC is it's weak point. That can be easily remedied though :) Just make sure to select "Pure Direct Mode" to bypass the digital circuitry of the MX150 when hooking up the external DAC. I'm presuming the DAC in the MX150 is the same as the MX121.

Enjoy a great purchase.

Thanks Left Side I am excited to try new gear.
I have read they are a Burr Brown DAC chip, maybe an AKer or Ron-C has the full story. I am a Room Perfect addict at least pure direct will be an easy comparison Room Perfect uses the Ti equibit which is a 24 Bit/96 KHz solution. It sppears Mcintosh used Lyngdorf Circuits there. Need for two DAC circuits internal seems redundant

Room Perfect will be amazing for movies. Maybe it will also be great for 2-channel? I can't comment on that as the MX121 doesn't have that feature. Will be interested to know your findings.

Room Perfect will be amazing for movies. Maybe it will also be great for 2-channel? I can't comment on that as the MX121 doesn't have that feature. Will be interested to know your findings.

My big XR290s can over power my listening room. The Lyndorf with RP tames bass nodes the speakers were designed for reverberent room, but also did aneohic chamber time. They stand ourtwith room perfect What are your audessy experience with MX121? I find the mid bass steps on clarity without RP in my listening space.

My big XR290s can over power my listening room. The Lyndorf with RP tames bass nodes the speakers were designed for reverberent room, but also did aneohic chamber time. They stand ourtwith room perfect What are your audessy experience with MX121? I find the mid bass steps on clarity without RP in my listening space.
I really like the Audessy for movies. But I'm not a "movie buff". Dolby HD is good enough for me. All my friends think my HT setup is amazing - and this is with 5 year old tech...

It's actually the bass I have most problems with the DAC in the MX121 for 2-channel. Sounds very boomy and unnatural. You might not notice it at first, but when you plug-in a good external DAC and do a comparison it's very obvious.

I really like the Audessy for movies. But I'm not a "movie buff". Dolby HD is good enough for me. All my friends think my HT setup is amazing - and this is with 5 year old tech...

It's actually the bass I have most problems with the DAC in the MX121 for 2-channel. Sounds very boomy and unnatural. You might not notice it at first, but when you plug-in a good external DAC and do a comparison it's very obvious.
I hope the DAC in MX150 does not have problem. Room Perfect would not cure DAC boominess since it would not be active during room calibration. Even without MX150 i get dissapointed with sound at the theater compared to home using MAC-3. I brlieve your MX121 is impressing friends.

Last edited:
Watch out with updates for the MX 151/150. The one of the latest will by-pass your tone controls. It seems one of the streaming providers requires the update. Rokuh (SP?). I don't do that; but, if I did I would want a separate DAC.

Watch out with updates for the MX 151/150. The one of the latest will by-pass your tone controls. It seems one of the streaming providers requires the update. Rokuh (SP?). I don't do that; but, if I did I would want a separate DAC.

Thanks Twiiii,

I don’t use roku only Apple TV for Tidal HiFi.

I’ll request latest firmware that has operating tone control from McIntosh support. I usually use RP equalization to roll off highs or boost bass. Flexibility of having tone control is a nice option.

Remember the RP in a MX 150/151, does not have the flexibility of a MEN 220. the 220 has five or 6 parametric filters and other features you can use by connecting the 220 to a PC computer for a more satisfying result. And if you are using a separate pre- amp for analog sources using the by pass feature, I don't know if the RP remains effect. If it doesn't you will need a separate 220 while in that mode of operation.

Remember the RP in a MX 150/151, does not have the flexibility of a MEN 220. the 220 has five or 6 parametric filters and other features you can use by connecting the 220 to a PC computer for a more satisfying result. And if you are using a separate pre- amp for analog sources using the by pass feature, I don't know if the RP remains effect. If it doesn't you will need a separate 220 while in that mode of operation.

The MX150/151 only has the 6 built in filters. I believe the AVS forum has a McIntosh 150/151 forum that has links to the PC application that runs in MIcrosoft excel that allows one to make custom voicing filters. There are links to some forum members voicings. Some are radical to say the least with some jacked uplows and super rolled off highs. Looking at them makes me happy I have full range McIntosh line arrays for speakers. I have the Lyngdorf Room Perfect App that appears identical but my TDAI only allows six filters too. The RP bypass on the Lyngdorf bow will still apply voicing filters.

Here are remote instructions on page 38 for navigating 6 voicings. I only rarely move from neutral now. Not sure how MX151 remote lets you jump to other room positions. I need to figure that out. Lyngdorf remote has keypad numerics or arrow center button. I can always use my TDAI 2200 like a separate pre amp and MEN220 if built in flexibility is not available in the MX150. Does not look like MX150 will arrive until Monday.

Attachments

• 02133BAC-D7CE-4F6A-A1A6-728388BB29B7.png
    02133BAC-D7CE-4F6A-A1A6-728388BB29B7.png
    191 KB · Views: 10
I hope the DAC in MX150 does not have problem. Room Perfect would not cure DAC boominess since it would not be active during room calibration. Even without MX150 i get dissapointed with sound at the theater compared to home using MAC-3. I brlieve your MX121 is impressing friends.

For the record, I do not have any (bass or otherwise) issues with the MX 121 DAC. I have not compared in detail the MX121 DAC to others I have but I am also satisfied with its sound.

When I got around to calibrating the system with Audessy, I frankly did not notice much difference in terms of room coloration correction but I find the sound is just fine for movies / TV. I am, though, coming to conclude that I prefer digital music sources in "direct mode". For the MVP861 for CD, DVDA, SACD and DVD (music content), I use the MVP DACs and MX in pure direct.

The unit arrived in on piece, original Mcintosh boxes. One foot was of someone having pilfered fastener. Spent some time over three hours simplifying rack and cabling.

So far installer set up has an issue. Unit still has factory firmware from October 20, 2010.
At first remote did not work. Changed batteries and then worked. Previous owner had all small speakers. I was unsuccessful getting them changed to XXL. Some reason remote or front panel nav buttons work on every other installer item. Reinitialized to factory settings. They are all M sized with 80 Hz roll off. Still unable to use remote or front Panel on that menu.

Either I am missing something or firmware has a bug. I tried the installer menu with a iPad network connection and had to bail since it was midnight and ipad was not connecting to default DNS. I guess tonight I pull out and old XP laptop try direct ethernet on router.

Have emailed McIntosh support for firmware update and advice. Hopeful a owner on here or @ron-c can help if they do not respond timely.

As for sound even with the XR290s and XR19s rolled off at 80 Hz and no sub or no RoomPerfect; music is amazing two channel pure stereo or mixed without speakers sized right to their capability. Biggeer sound stage and clarity out of both speake systems very natural, very easy listening, and very detailed.

Received email from Chuck ana call from Ron.

Firmware is latest and speaker size selection requires a scroll to bottom of page and some sort of selection to then edit.

Also it seems only firefox browser recognizes the installer page on your local network when the MX150 or 151 is connected to the router by ethernet.

A great McIntosh service experience.

Received the MX150 firmware to give full MX151 capability from Mcintosh and the Room Perfect equalization and MX150 Mcintosh voicing tool to play with custom equalization later

I was able to run Room Calibration to all speakers in room and add initial Focus Positions. the big difference between using a two channel Room Perfect Box is distance in inches from calibration mike to each speaker must be measured. A hand held Ryobi digital leasire measuring device makes this simple. The time for each test tone at every speaker and a LFE specific tone is there each speaker for my XXL line arrays.

Basically a two hour job. To test it out and get wife approval of MX-150 we played her Justin Timberlake Futuresex/Loveshow DVD in DTS.

I can clearly say the improvements of the multichannel RoomPerfect implementation is simply stunninng and draws you in. You feel your at Madison Square Garden immersed in the crowd. I did pushed it past 150 watt peaks for a few songs but 10 to 12 watts satisfies. Now the guitar, percussion, voices from stage and crowd pure realistic. All there and crystal clear with the tightest cleanest bass.

I can’t wait to hang my HT3s as sides to go with 6 channels. Looking at the version of HT3s that were mated with XR290s I was surprised they have silk domes versus later aluminum. Interesting all documentation I read States Aluminum domes. So all my soeakers should have tonal and timbre balance with all silks. The XR290s do wonderful with phantom center and XR19 and horizontal array is also great. The line arrays never sounded so well. I wish I had room to integrate my XRT20s to the HT room

I can’t wait to try two channel next on MX150.

So far MX150 a great great purchase. Just quirky GUI programming interfaces until you understand them. The ultimate in adjustability and modification of sound processing in home.

I spent some time and did a progamming so I could A & B my former stand alone DAC with the onboard DAC in the MX150. The onboard DAC in MX150 won hands down no contest in the sounds like real performance category and depth of sound field. The dynamics with the on board DAC are way greater too.

I also used the MX150 voicing tool to replace the 6 standard McIntosh equalization presets. Now I have voicing profiles to address lows mids or highs with a touch on any poorly mixed recording and also removed the crazy action+movie voicing. Having the XR290s and XR19s the action movie mix way over powers bass and going more than a dB or two with big line array speakers is all one would ever needsince they do not drop dB like point sources with distance. It is really there for someone running just a sub or two for LFE and smaller point sources that do not run flat down to 20Hz.

Overall an excellent purchase though I still need to route wires and mount the HT-3s. Settling upon ceiling mount for Left and Right Rear but have to drop crown molding temporarily and use for a wire Tunnel do to lack of ceiling access.

I am also with Twiiii and find the MX150 or the 151 is an excellent two channell preamp and the flexibility of programming the sources is truly great. The Room Perfect setting distances to each speaker is way better sounding than just the standard two channel Lyngdorf implementation. The algorithm execution with distances seems more effective for balanced sound for different seating positions.

Dolby Digital Plus, is Dolby AC-3 used with laser discs. I still have a laser player and use a Mac RFD2 with my. player because thats the only way I can extract the coded information from the RF output of the player. I will say using the Dolby Digital + function with the stereo analog out puts of the laser player though acceptable and enjoyable is not the same as the AC-3. The bass is better with the AC-3 using the RFD2 decoder. I will listen again but I think I prefer the system used in the 151/150 for over all spaciousness and definition. I kept about half a dozens lasers. The rest I updated to DVD for much better picture, though in some instances I much prefer the laser sound as the laser discs spread the voices across all three channels as in theaters instead of mixing the voices to the center channel most of the time for home reproduction. I much prefer the sound for dynamic range of The last of the Mohicans and bass on laser disc. But the picture is horrible compared to Blu-ray. Unfortunately we can't have it all. The difference between Lawrence of Arabia on Laser and Blu-ray is miraculous. The Blu ray is that much better. The sound is miserable on both. I think the sound was mastered using Ampex AME equalization and when transferred to film used NAB for playback. If you have a graphic EQ and replicate Ampex AME play back curve the sound really improves.

Back
Top Bottom